DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What I discovered regarding photo vs video recording...

It's not as good,as starting from a raw - comparable to working with a (Mavic) jpg.
It can really mess up your video edit to keep stopping for stills though as it always seem to move slightly - or stop moving obviously.
The bests video grabs are from when you're near stationary especially if shutter speed is on the low side.

Thanks, he is... but he can be a hooligan when the mood takes him :)

No filter. I've got no filters yet. But I plan on getting some... when I can sneak them past the missus. She thinks spending around a grand on "a toy" is enough for now :rolleyes:

Filters will change your world.

So my wife not the only wife questioning the $ rationale.
I resurched 7 months before buying my second drone, Mavic, and timed arrival with my wife's departure on 12 day trip. First drone UDI 818 a, think $68. Wife knew I was buying another drone. All she said was, "Wow!, must be a nice drone,"

Last edited:
Reactions: Imtnbike
My thoughts. If you are getting a pic in video mode the Mb are smaller when using video than with camera which makes the pic smaller.

Hey. I"ve been mostly filming in 4k - pausing in flight, and focusing multiple times throughout the flight, and pulling stills using final cut pro, and blowing them up using gimp resize. Also doing lots of stitching for pans which I love. I"ve been happy enough with the quality. I'm not too bright in this area but I think 12mgpixel stills are in theory better than the 'pulled' vid stills from 4k (???) and yet my results have been best with the latter (pulled stills). I would love it if someone could explain the correct answer. I've put a link of a pulled pic i blew to 16x28 inches. Another issue related to the above thread is that i hate the look of the raw photos and somehow cannot seem edit them to how I like them to look compared to the corresponding jpeg- they seem dark and oversaturated and contrasted (sry bad English) and unfixable.
ps i didn't read all the thread after page one so i may have missed something. also, using polar pro lenses and I'm setting shutter to twice the frame rate (60/30) and wonder if for stills i should be changing the shutter speed to brighten up the raw result maybe??
ISLAND PIC 16 x 28retouched.png

Realize this post is a bit old but curious about the post production of grabbing a still vs raw format.

What file format is the still? Good ability to edit in Lightroom?

Reactions: FuzLogix
Realize this post is a bit old but curious about the post production of grabbing a still vs raw format.

What file format is the still? Good ability to edit in Lightroom?

I'm glad you bought this old thread to my attention, haven't seen or heard of the idea before and now I too want to know answers!

Thanks!

Reactions: Imtnbike

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnny760