DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What I discovered regarding photo vs video recording...

marklyn

Reactions
So I discovered that when you are also video recording and you press the photo button that the photos that are taken are the (smaller) ones you see as thumbnails for that flight. It appears that when you stop video recording and then hit the photo button that a full size snapshot is taken. Duh. I never knew this. So now I know.

I did a lot of research before and after I got my Mavic and never saw this mentioned. I'm sure it was somewhere here on the forum, maybe, but guess I never came across it.

Reactions: Wersh
Sorry, I'm slightly confused now.

I usually (video) record all my flights, I fly to the position I wish to take a photo from, I then stop the video recording and press the camera button to take a few pictures, I then press the video button to start recording video again.

Am I doing it wrong?

Sorry, I'm slightly confused now.

I usually (video) record all my flights, I fly to the position I wish to take a photo from, I then stop the video recording and press the camera button to take a few pictures, I then press the video button to start recording video again.

Am I doing it wrong?
I am doing the same. In fact, if you film in 4K, you can't take a picture while recording video. I always record video in 4K since full hd quality is very bad. And besides bigger resolution, 4K gives you more possibilities in editing.

Reactions: Jungle_Cat
No. As far as I know that is the way to get full quality photos.

I think what the post said was, if you dont stop the vid... and press photo button, it takes a thumbnail?

I have come across some random thumbnails before but presumed they were generated for DJI go UI as a ref in the flight records list.

I am doing the same. In fact, if you film in 4K, you can't take a picture while recording video. I always record video in 4K since full hd quality is very bad. And besides bigger resolution, 4K gives you more possibilities in editing.
Thanks, I saw a vid before purchace said same but I forgot.

Does that work 4K 30fps?

Since we are talking about photo and vids.
Can you take a photo and view it right away right off the device?
Asking this coz, when I'm taking stills I have to read it from the SD via a PC.
Am I missing any settings....Android.

No. As far as I know that is the way to get full quality photos.

I think what the post said was, if you dont stop the vid... and press photo button, it takes a thumbnail?

I have come across some random thumbnails before but presumed they were generated for DJI go UI as a ref in the flight records list.

My experience is that when I am video recording and I press the photo snapshot button it takes the thumbnails you see and can "slideshow" through when you are looking at your flight log info. They are smaller pictures but they are a good representation of your flight so if I'm flying over a landmark, river, unique building, then having those thumbnail snapshots makes it easier for me to identify that flight log by seeing those thumbnails (without even having to load the flight log).
I just (incorrectly) assumed that while shooting 4k video that I could also take regular snapshots but I was wrong. Having to stop/start the video is something I didn't anticipate. In reality I could get snaps from the video using software I guess.

My experience is that when I am video recording and I press the photo snapshot button it takes the thumbnails you see and can "slideshow" through when you are looking at your flight log info. They are smaller pictures but they are a good representation of your flight so if I'm flying over a landmark, river, unique building, then having those thumbnail snapshots makes it easier for me to identify that flight log by seeing those thumbnails (without even having to load the flight log).
I just (incorrectly) assumed that while shooting 4k video that I could also take regular snapshots but I was wrong. Having to stop/start the video is something I didn't anticipate. In reality I could get snaps from the video using software I guess.
Most posts Ive read say if shooting in 4k then taking stills from vid is the way to go, so no stop ztart in vid.

I too found out after purchase and was a little disapointed at first but I shoot mostly in 4k and alwsys use home editing so no probs.

Anyone have an imaged pulled from a 4K video they could share to show us the quality?

4k snapshot of my pooch no tampering:
00_02_37_08.Still001.jpg
If you zoom in you can actually see the water colour / muddy effect (covered in Drone Nerds video on YT).. this is when I had the sharpness down to -2 that was recommended all over the internet. Now on 0 Sharp, -1 Contrast, -1 Saturation and the video looks much better.

Thanks, he is... but he can be a hooligan when the mood takes him :)

No filter. I've got no filters yet. But I plan on getting some... when I can sneak them past the missus. She thinks spending around a grand on "a toy" is enough for now :rolleyes:

Can you manage colors/highlights/darks etc in the still pictures, like you can in RAW pictures? There must be some quality loss

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair