DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is a good Drone Phone running Android 11? (MavicMini)

incumbent

Reactions
Hi,

I'm clumsy and arguably an idiot, so I don't like fumbling with a $1300 phone when I want to fly my skycamera. Trying to chase down the supported devices on the DJI Fly play store uri is a mess when I also need to remember that I've subscribed to DroneLink and I've had a lot of fun learning new things with it but I know I've read some posts from people that have had performance issues with some devices so I think I should be aiming for a Drone Phone that will likely be performant for another year or so. I expect in about a year I'll jump up to the Mavic 2 Pro or a descendent with a bigger sensor.

What should I be shopping for? I don't like Samsung. I've owned one of their refrigerators. Some of you know what I'm talking about ✊

From what I can tell the Pixel line and the OnePlus devices are not totally downmarket but can be found inexpensively used on eBay, I just want to make sure DJI Fly and DroneLink are going to be able to run without being impeded by inadequate CPU/memory.

My creative workflow is that I take photos and shoot video to a 256GB µSD card and I don't really use the DJI Fly app on iOS to do anything other than fly. I have a Thunderbolt 3 dock with an SD and µSD reader and I use Lightroom and iMovie for family events so unless it's totally different on Android, I don't need a device with a ton of storage since I just write to the card in the vehicle and slurp the photos and videos right back off into a computer. Yes? No?

Thanks!

Taking Samsung out of the equation removes MANY options... I, personally am anti-apple, and aside from Samsung (I've owned one of their microwaves, which was a joke of an appliance that lasted me 2mo, so I know where you're coming from, but when it comes to phone technology),there aren't many manufacturers out there that can compete. I use a Note8 as my "AUX phone"(for flying, tv control, etc) and I have a S10+5G as my daily. Both work greqat! If I were to suggest a phone specifically for flying, I'd go with a Note8. Most can be had for $200 or less and have plenty of power/technology to run flight apps for at least the next few years. I work in auto insurance and have no ties to Samsung, but I'd give them another shot....

Reactions: dawgpilot and tiwag
Reactions: incumbent
Hi,

I'm clumsy and arguably an idiot, so I don't like fumbling with a $1300 phone when I want to fly my skycamera. Trying to chase down the supported devices on the DJI Fly play store uri is a mess when I also need to remember that I've subscribed to DroneLink and I've had a lot of fun learning new things with it but I know I've read some posts from people that have had performance issues with some devices so I think I should be aiming for a Drone Phone that will likely be performant for another year or so. I expect in about a year I'll jump up to the Mavic 2 Pro or a descendent with a bigger sensor.

What should I be shopping for? I don't like Samsung. I've owned one of their refrigerators. Some of you know what I'm talking about ✊

From what I can tell the Pixel line and the OnePlus devices are not totally downmarket but can be found inexpensively used on eBay, I just want to make sure DJI Fly and DroneLink are going to be able to run without being impeded by inadequate CPU/memory.

My creative workflow is that I take photos and shoot video to a 256GB µSD card and I don't really use the DJI Fly app on iOS to do anything other than fly. I have a Thunderbolt 3 dock with an SD and µSD reader and I use Lightroom and iMovie for family events so unless it's totally different on Android, I don't need a device with a ton of storage since I just write to the card in the vehicle and slurp the photos and videos right back off into a computer. Yes? No?

Thanks!
If you are going to use this new device strictly for flying then why buy a phone? You do not need a phone in order to fly. A tablet will give you larger screen size and is a better value. I use dedicated devices for my drones including 7" tablets, 10" tablets, and a phone. The phone is there only because it is an old phone of mine but I did not buy it specifically for flying.

Having said that, the pure Android devices work great for me. That would include the Nexus and Pixel lines. All solid hardware and no crapware from the manufacturers.

Unless this has changes in the last day or two, the DJI apps do not yet support Android 11. If you get a device that supports it, do not upgrade to Android 11 until you see that the DJI apps have been updated to support it.

Reactions: incumbent
If you are going to use this new device strictly for flying then why buy a phone? You do not need a phone in order to fly. A tablet will give you larger screen size and is a better value. I use dedicated devices for my drones including 7" tablets, 10" tablets, and a phone.

That's a fair point, I don't think I'd want to haul around the apparatus required for a tablet to be used with the MM controller but this would be dual-purpose in that I usually have a couple of development devices around for my work and I'm aging some of them out now. I work in IT security and regularly run exploit code and engage in all sorts of other shenanigans on isolated systems/devices.

I hadn't considered picking up an Android tablet and there's always a bunch of them in the openbox list at my local Best Buy so I'll see which tablets are able to run DJI Fly and also fit for purpose for my other use case. thank you ??

Have a look at this list

thank you ?? for aiming me at that list!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54