DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is LOS vs VLOS?

Bogey

Reactions
Believe me I tried to find this out by searching because, well, I didn't want to look stupid asking this question. I saw LOS or VLOS used in many threads while searching, but I'm still not grasping what they mean.

I originally thought LOS just meant Line of Sight, so I guessed that VLSO was video LOS (meaning the screen w/o obstacles b/w me and the MP)

But that is just guessing, and I'd like to know for sure, so....

Thanks!

LOS = Line of Sight
VLOS = Visual Line of Sight

In both cases, there are no obstacles between the Mavic and remote controller. With VLOS, you an also clearly see the Mavic with your unaided eyes.

Reactions: mmtphoto and Bogey
Believe me I tried to find this out by searching because, well, I didn't want to look stupid asking this question. I saw LOS or VLOS used in many threads while searching, but I'm still not grasping what they mean.

I originally thought LOS just meant Line of Sight, so I guessed that VLSO was video LOS (meaning the screen w/o obstacles b/w me and the MP)

But that is just guessing, and I'd like to know for sure, so....

Thanks!
Line of site is anything you can see going off into the distance (a distant mountain would be in your line of sight). Visual line of sight means you actually have to see the Mavic, not just the distant patch of sky where the Mavic should be. -CF

Reactions: Bogey
The Mavic is relatively small, so in cases where it could be hard to see against a background I use a strobe unit (Firehouse Arc, etc.). This really helps gets a visual lock on the aircraft in the daytime after you look down at the display, then try to re-acquire the drone visually.

And BTW...VLOS (visual line of sight) by regulations means you can see the aircraft with the unaidied eye...using binoculars doesn’t count.

Reactions: Bogey
Line of site is anything you can see going off into the distance (a distant mountain would be in your line of sight). Visual line of sight means you actually have to see the Mavic, not just the distant patch of sky where the Mavic should be. -CF

The good thing is, nobody can prove whether it's just LOS or VLOS. "Yes, Sir, I can see it... you can't see it? When was the last time you visited your eye doctor?" :D

I still like the idea of a disco ball style Mavic. On a sunny day you could see that sucker for miles. (Plus it would be good for impromptu backyard parties!) -CF

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I still like the idea of a disco ball style Mavic. On a sunny day you could see that sucker for miles. (Plus it would be good for impromptu backyard parties!) -CF

They should make a skin like that.

They should make a skin like that.

They do really, from the holographic material.
I have a set coming soon to trial on mine (to deter birds).
Was thinking of just doing the top panel and batteries, might wait and see if even that makes it easier to see at distance.

I often make the mistake of putting LOS in places I mean VLOS, as far as I can tell plain old LOS in the drone game usually should be used for wireless signal type of applications, and anything to do with seeing your drone VLOS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coddiewomple