DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is the definition of REAL pilot?

"I'm a professional musician. I took lessons for 10 years and have been paid to play for audiences for the past 30 years. But if YOU haven't taken music lessons, and don't have paid gigs, then you cannot be a musician." - This is your logic.

AGJL Skin Flute Master
Fingerer of Organs GPP2s
4th Generation 8a94 Harmonica Tinkerer
Degreed Poly-timbred Nose Picker [Cgg]
Certified Head-Up-Own-Arse Member 27 years

giphy.gif

Hey, fellow pro musician! The 'anyone can play' stuff that hit the market in the late 80's, from Yamaha (just hit a button and 'hey, I can play') and the likes, comes to mind. See where we are now, kindergarten songs on a 120 beat are the norm. :)

My next paid gig is next Sunday, here:

It's all about realising that a pilot has and takes responsibility. Calling yourself a remote toy controller doesn't take away the responsibility, except that you probably won't take it.

The FAA uses "pilot". That should settle it pretty easily.

remotepilotcertificate.jpg

NL CAA as well, they even call it a flight crew license, just like a 'manned plane pilot' has:

fligtcrewlicense-206x300.png

Reactions: Masheen
The drone is designated as a real aircraft. If you shoot one down it's a felony. One can conclude that if you are flying a real aircraft, you are a pilot.

Reactions: Mavman
An individual who is licensed by the FAA or other government agency to pilot a REAL aircraft (requires an airworthiness certificate, aircraft registration, POM and weight and balance data).
Sorry, P. 107 does not count.
A person flying a toy is not a pilot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: wayy510
Dont sweat it guys, I'm sure the astronauts think all you "REAL PILOTS" are on the j.v. team anyways.

You are arguing over second place.

Reactions: Qoncussion
[emoji23] this is great, when my kid spreads his arms out and says he's an airplane I'm sending him to you guys. He needs someone his own age to fly around with, I'm not licensed

Reactions: Qoncussion
An interesting discussion.

Historically "Piloting" refers more to the guiding of the aircraft/ship/locomotive rather than how mechanically it is achieved or what aids are employed.

A Euro fighter (and other modern fughter jets) is designed to be so unstable in flight that it cannot be flown manually. Instead the "Pilot" tells the computers what he wants to do and it is the computers that do the flying. Yet nobody would dispute that the guy in the cockpit is "Piloting" the fighter.

So just because a drone has lots of tech that makes it easy to fly - the person deciding where and when it flys is making the piloting decisions. Even if I'm flying a waypoint mission - I have my finger on the pause button should I decide the direction is wrong ready to fly back manually. In just the same way commercial airline pilots are on autopilot most of the time.

Now obviously taking things to the extreme - a kid holding a helium balloon is technically deciding where it "flys" and so could be considered a Pilot - but I don't think anybody here is trying to go that far!

In the past "Pilot" has described sombody with great skill and training and if drone flyers refer to themselves as pilots it does diminish it's status.

Nobody here is claiming the same status for "toy" drone pilots as manned aircraft pilots - the skill set and training set them apart. But the term 'Pilot' is applicable.

Now when friends see me logged onto a Mavic Pilots forum they all gave a good chuckle - and that's fine by me.

If a kid gets a kick out of being referred to as a pilot - again that's OK too.

And if only a handful if new flyers think that being referred to as a Pilot makes them more responsible for how they fly - then thats great.

Sorry if the term Pilot is watered down as a result. We can all quote exaples "Call yourself a programmer when you haven't hand coded in hex!!!" And many other examples aready quoted.

I still have the same respect for all you "real" pilots - and I'm sure everyone else will too.

A Euro fighter (and other modern fughter jets) is designed to be so unstable in flight that it cannot be flown manually. Instead the "Pilot" tells the computers what he wants to do and it is the computers that do the flying. Yet nobody would dispute that the guy in the cockpit is "Piloting" the fighter.

In just the same way commercial airline pilots are on autopilot most of the time.

Both of those guys making the decisions are aboard the aircraft "in the cockpit" as you stated , big difference .
To me even the persons operating the controls of a military drone while sitting at a remote control station are operators , not pilots .
I wonder if any of the model rocket enthusiast that send a scale rocket into space refer to themselves as astronauts ? LOL

Reactions: wayy510 and moleza
As I have a Belgium, a Dutch (and soon a Nigeiran) UAV license, all ICAO descriptions are pretty clear. Operating a UAV makes you a pilot. And to be very complete, I also have a deep sea marine license (been at sea for almost 20 years)

pi·lot
ˈpīlət/
noun
1. PI*LOT
a person who operates the flying controls of an aircraft.

No mention of the word "Aviator" in this thread....

Extract from Wikipedia:
Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs, also known as "drones") operate without a pilot on-board and are classed into two categories: autonomous aircraft that operate without active human control during flight and remotely piloted UAVs which are operated remotely by one or more persons. The person controlling a remotely piloted UAV may be referred to as its pilot or operator. Depending on the sophistication and use of the UAV, pilots/operators of UAVs may require certification or training, but are generally not subject to the licensing/certification requirements of pilots of manned aircraft.

Looks like everyone is correct as we can be classed as both Pilots & Operators.

We cannot be classed as Aviators. ;)

'Delusional'

Characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.

‘hospitalization for schizophrenia and delusional paranoia’

‘he was diagnosed with a delusional disorder’

At best you are an operator...

Reactions: wayy510 and rydfree
Both of those guys making the decisions are aboard the aircraft "in the cockpit" as you stated , big difference .

I agreed - huge difference when your life depends on your actions.

When you say "Pilot" most people will immediately think of an on-board operator - because up until recently they had to be. The word "Pilot" has been around a lot longer than RC.

But the definitions of Pilot make no reference to any requirement to be on-board. Passengers - yes, Pilots - no.

Now, the meaning of words is constantly changing by common consent - and maybe in time the dictionary definitions may change to state that a pilot must be on-board the vehicle they are operating. I think this would be a good thing because the destination is huge and an important one.

But as it stands today - it is entirely correct to refer to a person operating a drone as a pilot. Misleading but correct.

And if it gives some people a bit of pleasure by tongue-in-cheek referring to themselves as pilots (and gives others pleasure laughing at their foolishness) thats a good thing. This hobby is about enjoyment after all.

Now the use if the word "drone" with all its negative connotations....... :)

+1 to that above. The only reason I started this thread was because of a couple of airplane pilots on this site who were coming across as condescending ***** because they were "real pilots" and members of this forum were just silly "boys with toys" who had to stop calling themselves "pilots". "Hey, that's my word! You can't have it! I fly a real plane!"

My father was a C-130 pilot for 28 years (USAF) and flew in two wars, so in MY mind, HE is a real pilot, and what I do with my mavic absolutely cannot be compared to what he does (did).

I just wanted to point out that, technically, according to the dictionary in it's current form, we are considered a type of pilot. More importantly, it's just a word, and anyone who considers themselves "Holier Than Thou" because of a TITLE or a label probably has Daddy Issues.

The only time I refer to myself as a "pilot" is when I'm on this forum trading info or swapping stories with other Geeks like me who love this hobby. And I do consider the mavic to be my favorite toy.

Now I have to go eat breakfast and get dressed for work. (SEE? I'm also a Chef and a Fashion Designer.)

giphy.gif

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure