DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is the general consensus on the reliability of the Air?

ValhallaSky

Reactions
Does it seem to be earning a good reputation in terms of flight performance and stability?

I'd really like to pick one up as seems like tremendous value and people praise the IQ, the only bug that keeps coming up is enhanced wifi...

I can't seem to get a decent read on how well it handles populated areas and cities.

I'd like to give it a shot but my gut keeps telling me to go with the MP that for all purposes seems to be a rock-solid workhorse.

Honestly besides a few software issues I have had no problem with the aircraft reliability

Does it seem to be earning a good reputation in terms of flight performance and stability?

I'd really like to pick one up as seems like tremendous value and people praise the IQ, the only bug that keeps coming up is enhanced wifi...

I can't seem to get a decent read on how well it handles populated areas and cities.

I'd like to give it a shot but my gut keeps telling me to go with the MP that for all purposes seems to be a rock-solid workhorse.
Go for it! A rock solid bird! Recalibrate your compass often and your RTH, stay within visual sight and you should be fine!

It's certainly not clear cut.

In my opinion. The MP is the better drone (longer flight time, better in the wind, better signal, way points etc) the Air is probably the better camera (better frame rates, more quick-shots and higher bit-rate)

For reliability, the MP would probably win as it has the better signal. Both are well built machines. Personally bought the air over the mp but will probably buy the mp2 when it comes out.

As good as my phantom 3 advanced and phantom 4 so far and that goes for range also....don't believe the mavic pro cry babies.
It's better in the wind then the pro ( proven by multiple YouTubers )
5k range
18 mins real world battery life .
Far better technology them the pro including the anti collision system is the best on any drone atm .
I almost bought the pro and it's a good done but it's old tech now compared to the Air.
Buy the Air you won't be disappointed

I have over three dozen flights under my belt with the Mavic Air, and the aircraft has been completely reliable. But we have to ask exactly what we mean by "reliable"? To me, reliable means that the aircraft has consistently responded as expected. Now then, of course I've had variable transmission quality and range, depending on where I'm flying, but that is expected, so I don't consider that unreliable. I expected the transmission variables to be similar to my previous aircraft that also used WiFi as its transmission type (Phantom 3 Standard). I was pleased that the Mavic Air has better range than the P3S in my experience, but I never expected it to have Mavic Pro transmission reliability.

If we isolate transmission conversation, the Air has been flawless in my experience. I have not experienced any erratic behavior, compass problems, or technical issues. Battery life has been consistent between 15-20 minutes of flight time (depending on when I decide to land). I have not needed to change props after three dozens flights, nor have I had any crashes of any kind. The sensors on the aircraft have assisted me well, though I don't depend on them. And both the aircraft and controller seem to be made very well (though I really hate the sd card slot).

In summary, I believe the Mavic Air to be reliable, though you should certainly expect to have variable transmission experiences. And if that's a concern, then a Mavic Pro (with Occusync) or a Phantom (with Lightbridge) might be a better choice. As a pilot with prior experience with WiFi aircraft, this was something I expected going in, and I have not been let down.

Last edited:
If I fly in built up areas (yes I know) air does seem to suffer from signal losses. Out in the open, I never have issues with the wifi signal. Does Occusync suffer in built up areas?

Occusync will try to handle the transmission issues whereas wifi won't. If signal is an issue, try 5.8ghz instead. For me it's night and day difference.

I own multiple drones, let alone multiple DJI drones. Simply put I don't trust my Mavic Air. In Wifi dense neighborhoods it's range is relatively short. I get out about 800' and the video becomes laggy and sometimes drops out completely. In the time I've owned it, I've lost connectivity to it twice initiating auto-RTH. I've never had that happen with any of my other DJI drones. It's falls far short of the Mavic Pro's range and is only on a par with the Spark. So I make darn sure I've got plenty of satellites and the home point has been set. And while it returned both times, its a bit disconcerting when it does happen...

In relatively Wifi free areas, I've gone out 1800' with no issues.

Reactions: DroneTraveller
It's certainly not clear cut.

In my opinion. The MP is the better drone (longer flight time, better in the wind, better signal, way points etc) the Air is probably the better camera (better frame rates, more quick-shots and higher bit-rate)

For reliability, the MP would probably win as it has the better signal. Both are well built machines. Personally bought the air over the mp but will probably buy the mp2 when it comes out.

Agreed with most these points except for the handling in the wind. I have zero issues with my Air in heavy wind. But again, I have zero issues with my MP in the wind either. My 1 huge complaint is the signal loss on the mavic Air when a short distance away. Inside the city? Forget about solid connection. My MP never one single issue. Portability, Mavic Air for the win

Reactions: MavicMo
I did tons of study before choosing between MP and the Air. First time drone user, but total gadget junky so I know how to shop, study reviews and generally am happy with the choices I make. I decided on the Air and pulled the trigger. Mostly happy, but the range sucks for me. I went out today again, went about 800' and was having signal issues. Was over water but near a bridge and a dock. Maybe the rebar/steel in the bridge and dock was the problem. Maybe wrong frequency. Maybe wifi just is limited. Whatever the case, while the bird still responded to the commands, the latency in my phone and the intermittent connectivity drove me nuts and killed all my shots.

I must say that takes the wind out of my sails. A lot. I feel bound to 500' and the automated quickflight modes, most of which are good, but some of which are quite jerky (when circling objects it isn't always smooth). Don't know if this is also an issue with the MP, but I must say I was hoping it would compensate for my lack of flight hours until I got smooth. Today was an attempt to learn to be smooth, and it just kept cutting out and cutting out.

I think everyone has their own opinion. I'm a spoiled brat, never having had to fly without GPS, etc. The value for money is still amazing -- the technology today is just crazy. That said, I wanted it to be perfect and this has gotten me pretty frustrated.

Will go for the MP II when it comes out. The size difference doesn't put me off. The APAS is nice and the back sensor is awesome. Looking forward to the new tech with Occusync.

I like my Air. I'm starting to take it with me every where. Just to add a thought. DJI hasn't released the Mavic Air's API code to developers like the Litchi app yet.
I wish they did. If you are out near the edge of signal coverage, having the Litchi app is great because it can continue the waypoint mission and return safely.

Not being able to fly waypoint missions is something I miss on the Mavic Air.

Do some searching on this forum. There is quite a few similar unexplained compass errors and losses/near losses of aircraft. Seems not to be an isolated issue, may be just a certain production run but I don't know how many runs there has been.

Go to the DJI website and click on the tab that allows side-by-side comparison of all the specs of the Consumer Drones that you've elected to compare.

Once you have done so, you will know which one you want.

Drone technology is a procrastinators dream come true. Should I buy this (proven) or buy that (new and shiny) or wait for the other (promise of the future).
I fly an MPP and had the chance to fly an Air the other day. Both of us agreed the rear sensors are really useful on the Air but we also both agreed the footage, handling, stability and general usability of the Mavic everyday is superior. Not a technical test just 'the way it felt'. If I were you I'd buy one and get used to whatever you buy.

Ive had this issue twice now. Both times now the unit was replaced. The downward facing sensor malfunctioned and prompted me to land asap. Anyone else experience this?

Attachments

• IMG_20180410_105522.jpg
    IMG_20180410_105522.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20180410_105550_1.jpg
    IMG_20180410_105550_1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads