DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Kind of Drone Pilot Are You?

I'm in the # 1 camp, however, I do sometimes take video footage with my Mavic Pro if I think it is film worthy but just for myself. Most of the time I fly my DJI fpv drone for just the pure joy of flying.

Technically #2 however I've wanted to fly since I was a kid. My first couple of drones did not have cameras. So I bounce back and forth I guess, sometimes it's just to fly other times I'm capturing images.

Play with me on this one for a little bit. Are you:

1) A pilot of a drone, which has a camera attached, or
2) A photographer with a camera, that happens to be attached to a drone

?

I know it's not binary, and that many people have aspects of both, but I think there may be a pattern in how people respond to things, based around this distinction.

I'm definitely "Type 1".

This occurred to me specifically in the context of the choice between the Mini-2 (which I have) and the Mini Se (which I don't yet have). I think the Mini SE would be just fine for a Type 1 drone pilot like me. If you're primarily a photographer, I think the Mini-2 is the only choice, between those two, based on the specs that I've seen.

The one thing I think I'd miss with the SE is the control range. I really like to go out and explore the other side of the canyon, or up the mountain in the other direction. If in my environment I can only get 3000-4000 ft control range on the Mini-2, how much less would that be with the Mini-SE? The specs I see only talk about video transmission range, not control range.

Thoughts?

TCS
#1, and love the videos

#1 - former helicopter pilot who can once again take to the sky BUT this time it is cheaper and safer. I do like to take some pics and video but it is not my primary drone joy.

?

I know it's not binary, and that many people have aspects of both, but I think there may be a pattern in how people respond to things, based around this distinction.

I'm definitely "Type 1".

This occurred to me specifically in the context of the choice between the Mini-2 (which I have) and the Mini Se (which I don't yet have). I think the Mini SE would be just fine for a Type 1 drone pilot like me. If you're primarily a photographer, I think the Mini-2 is the only choice, between those two, based on the specs that I've seen.

The one thing I think I'd miss with the SE is the control range. I really like to go out and explore the other side of the canyon, or up the mountain in the other direction. If in my environment I can only get 3000-4000 ft control range on the Mini-2, how much less would that be with the Mini-SE? The specs I see only talk about video transmission range, not control range.

Thoughts?

TCS
There is no question about it for me. It is a flying camera, so I am a pilot of a camera.

Dale

I'm both, but I want to have the best camera to get the best video, which put me in the #2
Also, I love flying, its been my life so always want the best capabilities from my Drones which of course puts me back to #1
as someone else put it, #1.5

Neither one. I check my aircraft every time I fly it. I might as well be loading up the wife and kids in it. After lift off, I check everything that is going on, even the sound. I gain altitude and do not fly into trees, fences and houses. From the looks of the board we have a major aircraft crash every day by those that are not paying attention.

As a Part 107 pilot, I am both #1 and #2. #1 to improve my skills and #2 to deliver a good product to my commercial clients. I have been into RC since the advent of the square Kraft radio of the 1960s, now with a large collection of RC helicopters, boats, planes, electric and nitro cars and trucks, and quad and hex copters (before they were called drones; for those younger than me). This hobby is absolutely fascinating and satisfying on so many levels.

@Chaosrider i am type 1 also ,the primary enjoyment for me is flying the drone myself
the maintenance aspect of drone ownership, and being able to enjoy all the pics and videos ,in the comfort of my man cave, when the weather out side is not good for flying
which unfortunately is a lot of the time where i live.
the Mini SE would have the same range and signal stability as the original MM ,it will not be as good as the Ocusynce of the Mini 2 ,the original MM was never really intended to be a long range drone, mainly because of its lack of wind resistance and the lack of real power from its 2 cell batteries ,the Mini 2 addressed some of those issues, but not the range issue between the RC and aircraft
#1 for me but I can see myself moving to #2.

Reactions: Chris4koi
Mainly a #1, but being a private pilot for almost 30 years, the view (pics & video’s) afforded from my drones (PS3 & Mavic Mini) certainly complements my time in the air. Such wonderful scenery and different perspectives than when ground bound.

Do enjoy the follow me feature of my mini using Dronelink when out cycling. Get some great video’s.

I am an amateur photographer who enters images into competition each month primarily with my Sony, but thought that a drone would give me unique perspectives. It certainly has encouraged me to learn video postprocessing.

Last year I entered an image of an old abandoned truck on BLM land. I shot the image from a 1/4 mile away and about 30’ up, with the drone gimbal pointed down, yet capturing a very scenic background. The competition judge said, “Nice image, but I would have liked it better if it were shot from a lower angle.” I have yet to place well in competition with drone images, but now am beginning to use these for photo composites. We’ll see how that works out.

A little of both. At home type 1 for sure. Love to fly my mini 1 around the property. At work type 2. It makes inspections much easier. We have several part 107 certified pilots. I fly under the watchful eye of one while I'm training and studying for the part 107 test. We have a few Mavic 2 enterprise drones at work. Mostly we photograph areas of structures that are not easily accessible. The best part is my employer is paying for the training and test. My personal drones are the MM1 and MA2.

With the drones we talk about here, number two is my pick. It’s a camera drone and I fly it to take photos and videos from a different perspective. I would not buy a DJI drone for the purpose of flying excitement. I enjoy it, yes, and I do like to pilot the drone but its purpose for me is images. My next branch will be Cinewhoop and maybe acro FPV but for now I’m looking for more agile charteristics for video especially indoors.

I started out as #2. I've owned a commercial photo/video company since 1988, and drones became a natural extension of my business. At first, I only considered a drone the tallest and most versatile tripod in the world.

Since then, I've definitely started to become a pilot of a drone with a camera attached, #1. Sometimes it's just nice to fly just for the fun of it, without thinking about what a client needs. I can either shoot or not. And now that I'm in to FPV, it's even more fun.

I’m definitely type #1. I have a Private pilot license and use my GoPro’s while flying Cessna’s but vidio and picture taking at low level is a blast… In the Cessna I’m usually going 120+ miles per hour and really busy in the drivers seat to focus on the video….

Mavic 2 Pro,
DJI FPV. Is a friggin blast,, I feel like im flying my Cessna. I thought I would get sea sick with the FPV. But surprisingly not at all.

Attachments

• F167ECF5-225F-442B-98DB-FC88E59B43BD.jpeg
    F167ECF5-225F-442B-98DB-FC88E59B43BD.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 9
  • CAE90707-5BEE-4290-9A76-83BE58C852AD.jpeg
    CAE90707-5BEE-4290-9A76-83BE58C852AD.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 9
I started out as #2. I've owned a commercial photo/video company since 1988, and drones became a natural extension of my business. At first, I only considered a drone the tallest and most versatile tripod in the world.

Since then, I've definitely started to become a pilot of a drone with a camera attached, #1. Sometimes it's just nice to fly just for the fun of it, without thinking about what a client needs. I can either shoot or not. And now that I'm in to FPV, it's even more fun.
Nice Resume. Vic.. I owned a Photography company for a few years but my Engineering job got in the way.. Im planning on making a Drone business when I RETIRE very SOON,, I’ve been walking through the same door at work for over 30 years, I’m soooooo. Ready to stop getting up every morning at 3:30 AM …

PPC.
Part 107 Pilot - w/part 61

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian