DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What percentage of flights do you call an airport?

What percentage of your flights do you call the airport tower?

• I've never called the tower

Votes: 40 63.5%
  • I've called about 1 - 25% of my flights

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • I've called about 26 - 50% of my flights

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I've called about 51 - 75% of my flights

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I've called about 76 - 100% of my flights

Votes: 9 14.3%

• Total voters

floyd

Reactions
I like to take aerial photos of my city. I live in a smaller town (56,000) with a regional airport. The five mile "Call the Airport" radius covers pretty much the entire city. So I have to call the tower almost every time I fly.

Fortunately, the controllers are very understanding and have never (well, maybe once) given me a hard time. How about you? How often do you call the tower?

Reactions: FatherXmas
I'm not Part 107. But I thought anyone flying within five miles of an airport had to call the tower, regardless whether recreation pilot or 107 pilot. True? False?

I'm not Part 107. But I thought anyone flying within five miles of an airport had to call the tower, regardless whether recreation pilot or 107 pilot. True? False?
I live in Grand Island Nebraska. Sounds VERY similar to your town. The Yellow ring covers most of town. NO you do not need to call. Unless you want to use their runways! :D

Wow! I didn't know that! Sweet! The controllers are usually really cool when I call them. But it's a pain to call and I always feel like I'm being a pain in their a$$.

Wow! I didn't know that! Sweet! The controllers are usually really cool when I call them. But it's a pain to call and I always feel like I'm being a pain in their a$$.
You are not required to call and waste their time. You ARE required to stay out of air traffic lanes.
As long as you aren't flying as high as normal air traffic, or directly in its path you are fine.
Leave the "calling for clearance" to the wannabe pilots.
I think you can build and fly a full size ultralight aircraft and take off from your back yard. WITHOUT a pilots license, or a call to the tower.
The call the Tower rule is for the 107 pilots that the FAA doesnt trust to fly safe. :D

I fully understand and appreciate the reasoning for calling the tower. But I do think, at least in my case, I am completely wasting their time. I am so happy I started this poll! I always thought you HAD to call if flying within five miles of the tower.

Reactions: zwt100
My understanding and AirMap App is a Fly for Fun has to call and advise airport if flying within a 5 mile radius, a 107 doesn't but have other rules that must be met. Please read and understand your countries rules and regulations before trusting what is read on the Internet. A Drone App like Air Map will give you the basics, but research rules for the zone your flying in before you get into trouble.

I cant believe there is people that call before every flight!
Your poll is revealing how many part 107 people are participating. I would be curious about these numbers if the poll was only for part 336 owners.

My understanding and AirMap App is a Fly for Fun has to call and advise airport if flying within a 5 mile radius, a 107 doesn't but have other rules that must be met. Please read and understand your countries rules and regulations before trusting what is read on the Internet. A Drone App like Air Map will give you the basics, but research rules for the zone your flying in before you get into trouble.

You know there is NO test to register as 336 right? So there is NO INSTRUCTIONS to do as you say from the FAA when registering. They dont even make you read and acknowledge a single sentence of rules or regulations.
The reason people think they have to call the airport is because they read posts like yours.
I agree, if you are within a mile, and over 100' it would be a good idea but what kind of drone pilot would want to do that anyway?

You know there is NO test to register as 336 right? So there is NO INSTRUCTIONS to do as you say from the FAA when registering. They dont even make you read and acknowledge a single sentence of rules or regulations.
The reason people think they have to call the airport is because they read posts like yours.
I agree, if you are within a mile, and over 100' it would be a good idea but what kind of drone pilot would want to do that anyway?
Sir, when flying your DJI Drone, when you first take off, if the software is updated, a warning message will pop up if you are within 5 miles of a airport. You have the check a box and accept responsibility to fly, a gentle prompt reminding you to call the airport if flying under 336.

In the tread with the young man filming the parade, he had 107 and admitted to flying for fun as his reason for calling and not just using his 107 not to call. Please everyone know what your talking about when giving advise, again this is my understanding. Please research the rules and understand them.

Sir, when flying your DJI Drone, when you first take off, if the software is updated, a warning message will pop up if you are within 5 miles of a airport. You have the check a box and accept responsibility to fly, a gentle prompt reminding you to call the airport if flying under 336.

In the tread with the young man filming the parade, he had 107 and admitted to flying for fun as his reason for calling and not just using his 107 not to call. Please everyone know what your talking about when giving advise, again this is my understanding. Please research the rules and understand them.
This is so confusing for people I COULD BE MISTAKEN, but I seem to remember this explained exactly opposite of what you are saying. I think it was @sar104 that explained it in the parade thread. Lets see if he will clarify for us?
You know, you dont have to see those subtle reminders. You can turn them completely off in the app.

This is so confusing for people I COULD BE MISTAKEN, but I seem to remember this explained exactly opposite of what you are saying. I think it was @sar104 that explained it in the parade thread. Lets see if he will clarify for us?
You know, you dont have to see those subtle reminders. You can turn them completely off in the app.
I think the question was answered by Mavic Airick just before this post. I prefer to leave the warnings on and yes mine will not even start within 3 miles of our small airport. Have fun and fly safe!

PS. No tower at the port near me, but a number pops up for the airport in the app.

I think the question was answered by Mavic Airick just before this post. I prefer to leave the warnings on and yes mine will not even start within 3 miles of our small airport. Have fun and fly safe!

PS. No tower at the port near me, but a number pops up for the airport in the app.

No tower near me either,
How did the parade guy get that drone off the ground if you cant even start one within 3 miles?
I never call, BUT, I am never flying in a manner to be anywhere near where a plane or helicopter may be. I am usually under 200 feet and within VLOS. And there are towers and structures higher than that closer to the airport than me.
Confusing stuff. sometimes its posted you DONT have to under 336, other times some say you do.

No tower near me either,
How did the parade guy get that drone off the ground if you cant even start one within 3 miles?
I never call, BUT, I am never flying in a manner to be anywhere near where a plane or helicopter may be. I am usually under 200 feet and within VLOS. And there are towers and structures higher than that closer to the airport than me.
Confusing stuff. sometimes its posted you DONT have to under 336, other times some say you do.
I believe with a 107 you are allowed to fly ( during daylight hours only ) and can go into the Goapp and enter a credit card # to bypass the 3 mile limit. This information is just "my understanding" since I am not 107. I have not researched it, just read it on this forum.

Edit: Older software does not have the Geo Fencing, he may have downloaded that software or had a waiver using his 107.

Last edited:
It's not a credit card number, you have to apply to unlock the respective NFZ locations and enter your unlock authorization into the go app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2p123