DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What SD card for mavic air?

Thanks, I’ve looked at your list, the only problem is that everything on it USA specs, naming and prices. They all seem to have slightly different names here in the UK, that’s why I posted that list to see if anyone had used those ones that I can buy from the UK.

Last 3 cards on your list, they will definitely work.

Reactions: Kenny.j
I bought 2 Scan Disk Ultra 32GB , 98 mbs and class 10. Years of using sd cards I've hit a stone wall with this card. Copied what was on the card onto my PC and cannot make and edits and save on my PC. Can save back onto the card. Like the images are locked and protected. I tried everything for hours, lock and unlock card reader, changing read and write in properties, googled this to death. Returning the cards for Extreme over Ultra

Hey guys, I have been flying with the Air for a week now and just saving all my video to my phone.

The card I got from Amazon,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073JYVKNX/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

according to my Air, is TO SLOW TO USE for 4K VIdeo, its can only do 60fps @ 1280x720...

Anyone have a card that they know 100% FOR 4k video?

Noticed at the bottom of your link Amazon recommended Samsung EVO transfer 100m/s perhaps that would have done the trick

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180423-022608_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180423-022608_Chrome.jpg
    838.6 KB · Views: 35
I bought 2 Scan Disk Ultra 32GB , 98 mbs and class 10. Years of using sd cards I've hit a stone wall with this card. Copied what was on the card onto my PC and cannot make and edits and save on my PC. Can save back onto the card. Like the images are locked and protected. I tried everything for hours, lock and unlock card reader, changing read and write in properties, googled this to death. Returning the cards for Extreme over Ultra
Class 10 is not the right ones. Look for the U with the 3 inside the U. That's what you want for the correct speeds

Does someone know if the yellow Samsung Evo cards work as good as the green Samsung Evo Select cards?

I got 2 32gb Samsung Evo HC 1 cards from my gopro. I thought these would be fast enough for Mavic Air, but the app indicates that these are slow cards for mavic air.

I've tried to do some testing, so i put the card in my PC card reader and copied some 400mb footage to it. The card car write steadily up to 18MB/sec (and that might be my Card Readers bottleneck) which should be more than fine since 104mbit/sec translates to 13MB/sec.

Any idea what might be the issue and if these cards are indeed fast enough?

Here is the link for the cards themselves: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Clas...=1526902096&sr=1-21&keywords=samsung+micro+sd

I do use a Samsung EVO 64GB card. Around $30 here in Norway, Works fine.
Up to 100MB/s Transfer speed with Class 10 and U3 compatibility. Includes Full-Size SD Adapter.
MB-MP64GA_1_041217
Excellent Performance for 4K UHD video and broad compatibility across multiple applications. 10-Year limited warranty.

Reactions: TheoKondak
Took the same SanDisk card that's working find in my MPP and put it in the Air, and the Air complains it is a slow SD card, so guess I will upgrade. Nice that the firmware on the Air is smart enough to tell you if the card is too slow. I never noticed that on the MP.

What model SanDisk did you use where the Air says its to slow?

Noticed at the bottom of your link Amazon recommended Samsung EVO transfer 100m/s perhaps that would have done the trick

Note that transfer rates are most often referring to "read" speeds (i.e. transferring your files to the computer at the end of the day) and not minimum sustained write speeds (which is what matters). Maximum speeds (either read or write) are also not necessarily an indication of how it will perform in a video application. A lot of cards don't explicitly advertise their minimum sustained write speeds, which is the single most important criteria for most people. The Mavic Air has a maximum bitrate of 100Mbps or 12.5 MB/s (Mb = Megabit, MB = Megabyte).

You want something with at least a U3 (Ultra High Speed-3) or V30 (Video Speed Class - 30MB/s) rating, which is a minimum sustained write speed of 30 MB/s, which is more than enough to cover the footage from a Mavic Air. The reason you don't want to cut it too close is even if the card dips below 12.5MB/s momentarily, you will drop frames or run into other problems - you want a bit of a speed buffer there to guarantee performance. Buying brand name cards (Sandisk, Samsung, Lexar, etc.) probably also reduces the chance that you get a lower performing sample, but people do have good luck with the cheaper cards as well.

Personally I am of the opinion that these micro SD cards are already so cheap that you might as well buy the high-end ones and never have to worry about it. I use the Sandisk Extreme U3 V30 cards - those will definitely work with the Air and they are dirt cheap.

So i bought this Micro SDXC card from SanDisk, and the message i got from the drone was that it is TOO SLOW...

bsTA5UH.jpg

Now i bought this one, i believe it will work better.

ojNt53m.jpg

So i bought this Micro SDXC card from SanDisk, and the message i got from the drone was that it is TOO SLOW...

bsTA5UH.jpg

Now i bought this one, i believe it will work better.

ojNt53m.jpg

That first card is telling you in three different ways that it won't work because it's minimum sustained write speed is only 10 MB/s (U1, Class 10 and A1 all denote this).

The second card works because it it is a U3 / V30 card, telling you it's minimum sustained write speeds are 30 MB/s (the Mavic Air needs at least 12.5MB/s).

Whenever you see something like "Speed up to 100MB/s" that is *not* the write speed. That is a theoretical maximum read transfer speed and has nothing to do with writing video. This can be very confusing because not only do the card manufacturers throw these numbers in your face on packaging and item descriptions, but the Mavic Air just happens to have a bitrate of 100mbps which can be easy to confuse with the 100MB/s advertised on that card, so it's not hard to see how someone might try and link those two completely different specifications and think they have themselves the right card.

The only thing that tells you the minimum sustained write speed of the card is the little symbols on it - typically you won't find anything in the item descriptions or the packaging telling you that, but I have seen a few that do.

See my previous posts for further explanation.

Reactions: rickmpr
The SanDisk Extreme Pro is a good choice (also a 64GB version here).

View attachment 31305

Checked out your link and amazon indicates their is a newer version
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYT37NK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A02211013Q5HP3OMSZC7W&psc=1

Which one would you suggest to get?

Also stopped by BEST BUY today and saw and got this:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandis...dhc-uhs-i-memory-card/9387066.p?skuId=9387066

All i could remember from the discussion here was the U3 and saw that it was on sale. Should i return this and get 2 of whatever of the above you would suggest?

Im now thinking 32 is too small(?) for my 3 battries? I really skip the changing of cards along with battery changes as im just afraid id ultimately break the latch ...

Thank you for your suggestions

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme