DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What SD card will you be using with the Mavic?

I've been using 2 of these that I swap between flights. They have more than enough write speed for 4k recording, have been reliable, and are reasonably priced. I bought the pair from amazon for less $20 each a few months ago.

uk_MB-MC64DA-EU_001_Front_red

Two Samsung PRO (64G) and two Lexar 633x (16gb and 32gb). I shoot in 2.7k so the PROs are probably overkill, but just in case :)

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

Since DJI ships the Mavic (and Phantoms) with a class 10 memory card that writes at 40MB/s, so that's what I always recommend to people. Because, well, they just work. You can find a list of memory cards that work well here.

A faster memory card also comes in handy when transferring files to/from the memory card.

I was looking for some info on memory cards and found this posting by you. This is a great resource and must have taken quite some time to put together. Thanks very much.

Reactions: msinger
From what I understand a 16GB card will hold more 4K video than you can capture in a single flight, so if you swap each flight that's all you need. And some argue that you should swap each flight so you don't potentially lose all your previous footage if you should lose the drone. Personally I prefer a larger card but there's logic to that thought.

Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter (SDSQXVF-064G-GN6MA) [Newest Version]: Computers & Accessories

Well, I dunno about that logic. Yeah, if you have, say, three long flights and record the video on a different SD card each time, then you're much less likely to lose all of your video footage than if you had just used one big SD card for all three flights. On the other hand, the probability that you will lose some video footage (due to a bad card, bad Mavic-to-card connection, etc.) is about three times higher if you use three different cards than if you use just one card.

Also, I don't know about others, but if I were to lose my $1000 drone then I think that losing my video footage on the SD card in the drone would be the least of my concerns.

Last edited:
Mavic Manual says, it supports upto 32GB card only.

But can we use
SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB UHS-I/U3 Micro SDXC Memory Card ?

just bought a 64gig card and installed in mavic pro and works just fine formats card to 60772mb loses 4gig due to fat table only being fat32 but i can live with that

When I first put in the 64gig card it used to always read 99.99min recording time available which kinda sucked but at least I knew I had heaps. After the DJI GO4 4.1 update when I fired up the Mavic it told me I had 1h 38min recording time remaining. So they have fixed that little bug.

when i fired mine up it told me i had around 2 1/2 hours of record time.. not sure what the actual time should be but i think thats pretty good.. far cry from what i had with the 16g that came with it

I have tested multiple micro SD cards (will post all the results as soon as I get home).

by far for me the best has been the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64Gb.
Bit expensive but they are very very fast reading and writing steady ~70mbps.

Now using PNY Elite 200GB sdxc card in my mavic. They are marked Class 10 U1 but are rated read 85mb write 80mb. Microcenter.com has them for $74 in-store.

So far so good, just wanted to let people know there are additional options.

Along with the included 16GB MicroSD card, I have two of the SanDisk Extreme 32GB MicroSDHC UHS-I/U3 Card with Adapter from Amazon. Every time I swap out a battery I swap out the MicroSD card. Don't want to loose all my media if something went wrong.

After reading Fastest MicroSD Card Speed Tests - 2017 | Have Camera Will Travel and looking at the Mavic's specs, I decided on the Sandisk Plus 64GB linked to at the top of this page.

It's actually advertised as being able to accept reads and writes faster than the Mavic is advertised as being able to do them, so with this card in this drone, it shouldn't be possible for the Sandisk card to let you down. So I got it, thinking that I might as well get as much out of my Mavic as I possibly can.

I really do get crazy-fast transfer speeds off it in the computer... 80something MB/s is not uncommon. And I'm using a pretty plain midrange Dell Inspiron laptop from last year.

Also, if you're not a 4k video shooter, 64 GB takes over a month to fill up with daily flights and 2 or 3 dozen DNGs taken per flight.

The Samsung card (red and white one) isn't one I've tried to use in the Mavic, but it's good to know since it's ~$10 less than the Sandisk last time I checked. I'll vouch for the Samsung's durability over time, though: I use that very card in my Raspberry Pi 3 at work ever since I got tired of carrying a laptop charger and decided to just put something together and power it with one of those little power packs you get in Walgreens.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929