DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What to do if... Wind takes a your drone?

1st, the high wind warning should have gone off long before he has problems, which he must have ignored. 2nd, why didn't he just drop down to lower altitude instead of fighting the wind.

I am getting so tired, of all the "kids" who got a Mavic for Christmas, who rushing out side, or god forbid in their living room, to fly it without any thought behind what they are doing.

UAV Forcast app is the best preventivitive measure out there IMO.
The whole “ounce of prevention .... “ thing.

Had the same thing happen a couple weeks ago. Winds at ground level were calm but pretty stout at 200'. It was drifting away at about 3-4 mph even under full throttle. Flicked it into sport mode and brought it back quickly, landed and put it away for the evening.

Download the UAV Forecast app. It gives wind speeds at different elevations.

Note that every time you do a firmware update, the software will revert back to default modes and DISABLE sports mode. So unless you turn it back on after the update, when the emergency hits, you won't be able to turn it on. For me, sports mode is a critical emergency mode. Everyone should keep this mode activated.

Ok, how do others deal with this situation - today in high winds I tested the MP by going up to about 100m and I saw the drone start to go backwards (with the wind)... I know it was predictable but I like learning the hard way.. (ice already chainsawed a tree lol)

After a flash forward of me crying into the pieces of my MP I quickly pushed full ahead but it was still going backwards...

Thinking about sailing into wind, I turned left 45 degrees, and also dived hard... this got me out of the situation...

What's the best tried and tested method? Or most popular method.... and I'll save that as an emergency manoeuvre in my mental box of "Oh [emoji90]" manoeuvres!!!
Did you try sports mode? I never had a wind problem. Satellites were probably not connected.

Reactions: ThePaulius
Just downloaded the UAV Forecast app and am playing with it now. Looks like it thinks the temperature here is too cold over the next 24 hours to fly. Everything else okay otherwise. I'm sure the cold decreases battery efficiency, but any other adverse impacts? If that's it, then I guess I would feel safe flying as long as I kept an eye on battery capacity.
With cold weather the DJI manual just tells you to let it warm up for a few minutes before flying. Cold weather alone won't be an issue.

I mainly sit quietly viewing topics on this great site but I am amazed at how many pilots ignore common sense and good advice from apps like UAV Forecast and persist in flying in inclement weather conditions. I wish I had a dollar for every time it happens.
I am very new at this and the MPP is my first-ever drone so I guess I am perhaps over cautious but still have it. Happy New Year to all
I totally agree with you. People get the drone and they think they can fly it 10,000 feet away at 300 feet altitude and then wonder why they lose their drone. LINE OF SIGHT people, until you get really, really good with the drone. Wind can be your friend or your enemy. Practice with small steps and keep your drone within eye sight.

Reactions: dekip
UAV Forcast app is the best preventivitive measure out there IMO.
The whole “ounce of prevention .... “ thing.
I use UAV forecast more then I look at local weather anymore (At least that is my wife's take...) Just want to mention that UAV forecast lets you tweak settings all you want and if your inclined they can be set to allow flying in any condition. For example I have recently lowered my min temperature after testing and the many reports in this forum.

So it is only as good as the operator....In other words.... If you want to fly in gale force winds you can set UAV Forecast to approve but it doesn't change the outcome.

I find I learn a lot from seemingly clueless newbie's - They have saved me more then once by learning from others mistakes. Most if not all of these folks are just learning too.

A huge thanks to all the experienced folks constantly sharing their knowledge in this forum.

Reactions: BobAld
IMHO you have to setup BEFORE you need it. A lot of us might not have the presence of mind to go into GO 4 and make the necessary changes for Sport Mode to work. Just in case, here's how:
** Will NOT work in Beginner Mode **
1. From the camera display screen, press the QuadCopter icon on the top menu bar
2. On the Main Controller Screen, slide the Multiple Flight Modes switch to the right
3. Go about your business flying.
4. If you need the extra speed, just slide the SPORT button on the right side of the controller towards the antennas.

My $0.02 Use the UAV Forecast app (for safety, GET IT FROM the Android or Apple play store).

DON'T go flying if conditions are marginal. Remember Murphy's Law; What can go wrong will go wrong at the most inopportune time.

Reactions: dekip
I'm amazed at the wind speeds predicted on UAV Forecast. Tomorrow, for example, it's saying gusts of 74 mph in the afternoon. I have the threshold set very conservatively (20 mph at 300 feet), and there have been almost no green days since I started watching it. How accurate are these wind forecasts usually?

Like every body else is writing, Sport mode :) But! In windy conditions if you turn the Obstacle Avoidance off it will handle the wind better, it will be faster. Check this link fast forward to 03:15 (;

Ok, how do others deal with this situation - today in high winds I tested the MP by going up to about 100m and I saw the drone start to go backwards (with the wind)... I know it was predictable but I like learning the hard way.. (ice already chainsawed a tree lol)

After a flash forward of me crying into the pieces of my MP I quickly pushed full ahead but it was still going backwards...

Thinking about sailing into wind, I turned left 45 degrees, and also dived hard... this got me out of the situation...

What's the best tried and tested method? Or most popular method.... and I'll save that as an emergency manoeuvre in my mental box of "Oh [emoji90]" manoeuvres!!!

I also find that the forward detection is best switched off in windy conditions as it detects the wind as a collision hazard and can stop the flight too. But yes sports mode and lower level always works well

> ... by going up to about 100m and I saw the drone start to go backwards (with the wind)...

Just to add. Part of my "Emergency Checklist" There's no right answer, but something to always think about. You have 2 RTH setting (Low Battery & Loss of Signal). If you lost signal, you may have RTH altitude set even higher, which places it into higher winds. If its trying to fly home, it may be blown away even faster for the next 27 minutes. Depending on your location, you may want to switch the settings to "Land" It depends on your location of course. No right answer. Depends. Depending on location, you may want to land with no control instead of being blown out into the ocean, etc.
Lots of variations along this theme. And yes, Sports Mode settings are part of the checklist. Page 11 in the operating manual is a nice review. :>)

Reactions: ThePaulius
>... Depending on your location, you may want to switch the settings to "Land" ... :>)
How can you switch it? For me I think landing is the best solution because you know where your drone is..hoping is not flying on the water... lol

How can you switch it? For me I think landing is the best solution because you know where your drone is..hoping is not flying on the water... lol

Hi. Yes, landing is the best course. This is just a general idea for the OP for his title "What to do if..."
As you land downwind, there is a chance you loose signal as you drop behind a building, etc. RTH kicks in for signal loss. The MP flies up 300 feet to come home, and gets blown further downwind... cycle repeats until too far away..
Under "Main Controller settings, Advanced Settings, "Remote Controller Signal Lost", I might change default "return-to-home" to "Landing"
Again, just something to keep in mind when panicking.

Did you try sports mode? I never had a wind problem. Satellites were probably not connected.
I use sport now, at the time I forgot it had that mode lol... definately sports @45 degrees and down hard works every time [emoji2]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottster03