DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What to do if... Wind takes a your drone?

ThePaulius

Reactions
Ok, how do others deal with this situation - today in high winds I tested the MP by going up to about 100m and I saw the drone start to go backwards (with the wind)... I know it was predictable but I like learning the hard way.. (I've already chainsawed a tree lol)

After a flash forward of me crying into the pieces of my MP I quickly pushed full ahead but it was still going backwards...

Thinking about sailing into wind, I turned left 45 degrees, and also dived hard... this got me out of the situation...

What's the best tried and tested method? Or most popular method.... and I'll save that as an emergency manoeuvre in my mental box of "Oh [emoji90]" manoeuvres!!!

Last edited:
Had the same thing happen a couple weeks ago. Winds at ground level were calm but pretty stout at 200'. It was drifting away at about 3-4 mph even under full throttle. Flicked it into sport mode and brought it back quickly, landed and put it away for the evening.

Download the UAV Forecast app. It gives wind speeds at different elevations.

Hope you noticed in all these replies that in order to get the power you need to overcome the wind you MUST switch into SPORT mode. Tell us if you had done that. If not, then this will be your recourse next time you want to try the winds. We hope that was the case as the Mavic should be back in control enough to land where you want with the additional thrust of SPORT mode.

Reactions: johncoleman
I mainly sit quietly viewing topics on this great site but I am amazed at how many pilots ignore common sense and good advice from apps like UAV Forecast and persist in flying in inclement weather conditions. I wish I had a dollar for every time it happens.
I am very new at this and the MPP is my first-ever drone so I guess I am perhaps over cautious but still have it. Happy New Year to all

I follow the following three rules:

1) Check direction and intensity of wind prior to flight. Preference fly with full battery against the wind and return will be easier with the winds help.

2) In case wind is too strong and reduces head speed, reduce altitude. Wind is less intense at lower altitudes.

3) Make sure to have enough battery to engage sports mode sometimes its the only way to fight high speed winds

Sports as people say sure, but assuming one has sports on, zig zagging as you said to come at the wind from an angle and shed altitude as quick as you can safely as winds decrease a lot as you get lower usually. Big thing, so not panic and remember it is always better to land and hike to get your drone if your battery is getting low and you are over a fairly safe and accessible space than trying to get it home on critical and failing.

Reactions: ThePaulius
Hope you noticed in all these replies that in order to get the power you need to overcome the wind you MUST switch into SPORT mode. Tell us if you had done that. If not, then this will be your recourse next time you want to try the winds. We hope that was the case as the Mavic should be back in control enough to land where you want with the additional thrust of SPORT mode.
Hi, yeah I forgot there was a sport mode! Was up in it again today, sport mode plus 45° make light work of strong wind!

Reactions: Gonçalo
I mainly sit quietly viewing topics on this great site but I am amazed at how many pilots ignore common sense and good advice from apps like UAV Forecast and persist in flying in inclement weather conditions. I wish I had a dollar for every time it happens.
I am very new at this and the MPP is my first-ever drone so I guess I am perhaps over cautious but still have it. Happy New Year to all
True but I've seen the MPP deal with very high winds.. I think that you should test limits in controlled amounts... take it up 100ft at a time and monitor, if it isn't drifting go up more... I was at 400ft and it was easy to come back if you didn't try and just overcome the headwind..

It's been terrible weather here so I've not had any other weather to fly in..

My next plan is to control the drone whilst I fly a real aircraft and have it track me haha (don't worry I'll hand control of the aircraft to my chum I'm not crazy..)

Happy New year!

Sports as people say sure, but assuming one has sports on, zig zagging as you said to come at the wind from an angle and shed altitude as quick as you can safely as winds decrease a lot as you get lower usually. Big thing, so not panic and remember it is always better to land and hike to get your drone if your battery is getting low and you are over a fairly safe and accessible space than trying to get it home on critical and failing.
Yeah, I come home at 30% currently.. have 3 batteries and only local flying.. just getting the feel of it atm

....apps like UAV Forecast...

Great app! Thanks for the recommendation!!

72b07114dc7bf0225f3f641519ce8a97.jpg

Just downloaded the UAV Forecast app and am playing with it now. Looks like it thinks the temperature here is too cold over the next 24 hours to fly. Everything else okay otherwise. I'm sure the cold decreases battery efficiency, but any other adverse impacts? If that's it, then I guess I would feel safe flying as long as I kept an eye on battery capacity.

I try to land with 50% battery when flying in the cold just for extra precaution.

Most agree that if you keep your battery warm prior to the flight cold weather has no adverse affects on mavic.

Keeping your fingers warm....now that's another story.

I try to land with 50% battery when flying in the cold just for extra precaution.

Most agree that if you keep your battery warm prior to the flight cold weather has no adverse affects on mavic.

Keeping your fingers warm....now that's another story.

Thanks, good feedback. In this weather, my fingers last about as long as a fully charged battery :)

Just downloaded the UAV Forecast app and am playing with it now. Looks like it thinks the temperature here is too cold over the next 24 hours to fly. Everything else okay otherwise. I'm sure the cold decreases battery efficiency, but any other adverse impacts? If that's it, then I guess I would feel safe flying as long as I kept an eye on battery capacity.
From everything I have read I think cold weather is fine with some precautions like keeping the batteries warm and avoiding freezing fogs and such that can ice the drone up.
I think you can also adjust the warnings inside the app. While the mavic handles cold weather pretty well it seems (did you see the one where he took off from Mt Everest Base Camp?) the app is for all drones, so maybe some do not fare as well.

Reactions: rautej1
Mavic will fly 33mph.... so the wind must have been stronger then that.

What to do in that situation? I'd first recommend not flying. Second, change to Sport mode.
Sport mode was going to be my suggestion

I do have to say it is one advantage of my 3dr Solo, the top speed is 55 I think in sports mode, so much more power to cut through heavy wind. If I am on a windy day I am more apt to use that craft as it is also far less tragic if it is lost

Reactions: ConsciousGeek
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure