DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What to expect?

A couple of thoughts about flying, the pause button on your remote control can be your best friend if things start to go south.

A disconnect most usually means the RC is disconnected from the display, not the AC. Don’t stop flying. Learn how precision takeoff works. I usually use auto takeoff and don’t touch the sticks until it announces Home Point created.

Wind speed at higher elevations can be much different, significantly different than at ground level. I suggest a free app called UAV Forecast to get an idea of what wind speed at higher elevations. Ventusky is another good app to get an idea what surrounding weather is.
Fly into the wind on the first leg so you have the wind to help you get home safely. Billy Kyle has some great YouTube videos.

A tracker (I like Marco Polo) as it is not dependent on cellular.

Use the bottom USB port to connect RC to display. The side port on the remote control is a micro USB. Suggest getting a magnetic tip cable so you can put the tip in the charging port and just leave it there. That way you minimize your exposure to put on the cable in the wrong way and breaking the charging tab inside the RC.
NetDot 3rd Generation USB2.0 Magnetic Charging Cable Adapter with 1 iOS Connector and 1 Micro-USB Connector Compatible with Both Android Smartphone and iPhone - 3.3 Feet / 3 Pack Gold https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ6356A/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_d5-mCb373SFZH

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts about flying, the pause button on your remote control can be your best friend if things start to go south.

A disconnect most usually means the RC is disconnected from the display, not the AC. Don’t stop flying. Learn how precision takeoff works. I usually use auto takeoff and don’t touch the sticks until it announces Home Point created.

Wind speed at higher elevations can be much different, significantly different than at ground level. I suggest a free app called UAV Forecast to get an idea of what wind speed at higher elevations. Ventusky is another good app to get an idea what surrounding weather is.
Fly into the wind on the first leg so you have the wind to help you get home safely. Billy Kyle has some great YouTube videos.

A tracker (I like Marco Polo) as it is not dependent on cellular.

Use the bottom USB port to connect RC to display. The side port on the remote control is a micro USB. Suggest getting a magnetic tip cable so you can put the tip in the charging port and just leave it there. That way you minimize your exposure to put on the cable in the wrong way and breaking the charging tab inside the RC.
NetDot 3rd Generation USB2.0 Magnetic Charging Cable Adapter with 1 iOS Connector and 1 Micro-USB Connector Compatible with Both Android Smartphone and iPhone - 3.3 Feet / 3 Pack Gold https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ6356A/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_d5-mCb373SFZH

Thank you for the info. I will look into the tracker and the cord.

Since I started flying with the spark and now onto the MP1. One of the most useful bits of advice I've recieved is, don't forget about the pause button. Try to make finding it on the remote second nature and the first thing when things go bad. Especially when using IFM's.

Since I started flying with the spark and now onto the MP1. One of the most useful bits of advice I've recieved is, don't forget about the pause button. Try to make finding it on the remote second nature and the first thing when things go bad. Especially when using IFM's.

I guess IFM is intelligent flight mode? Thank you.

Don’t forget your local (pending) laws and FAA guidelines! Learning how to read airspace maps and monitoring the weather and winds is also a fun aspect to your new hobby. Don’t always take advise :)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic Air, Fly safe and have fun!

Don’t forget your local (pending) laws and FAA guidelines! Learning how to read airspace maps and monitoring the weather and winds is also a fun aspect to your new hobby. Don’t always take advise :)

My friend is a pilot and I think I remember him saying air space was like an upside down wedding cake. The higher you go the more restricted space you have. If I remember correctly. Thanks

Ok so I got the MA in the mail today. What a quality made product. Everything seems to be working. I haven't flown her yet but I did power her up and and ran some tests to check if it was working. Tomorrow will be her maiden voyage. I am excited to get learning. First I must set up my RTH and stuff like that. I will leave it in beginners mode so she can't get to far till I get used to it and make sure that RTH works. I am getting excited to fly her.

I am awaiting delivery of my Mavic air. With a fly more package. What should I expect/do for my first flight? Is this as good as the reviews? Any help/info would be great.

OJ, I haven't flown mine yet I am still researching and learning. It has been cold and raining here. But it looks like it is at least drying up now. Maybe today will be the maiden voyage. I just want to figure out how to set up gps, rth and other functions so I don't lose it.

Good luck with your Air . I got the fly more package also.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc