DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What to make of this NYC flight video?

Since the operator has all of the approvals lined up, then he may have launched from a helipad. Or at the very least, from the top of a building. That would have at least two benefits. If he's using a drone that is limited to 400ft of altitude from launch, then being at the top of a building gets you that much higher. Also, the higher up the pilot is, the less obstruction there would be for the radio signals.

Reactions: Torque and Slawaw
I assume that even with all the permits and being on a helipad on a tall building, it is dangerous to fly. In our big cities, special devices are used that jam (block) the control radio signal and GPS.

I assume that even with all the permits and being on a helipad on a tall building, it is dangerous to fly. In our big cities, special devices are used that jam (block) the control radio signal and GPS.
Which big cities are having radio and GPS (which uses radio) blocked? Other than the buildings themselves, For NYC, the radio frequencies for drone control and GPS are not jammed.

Which big cities are having radio and GPS
I spoke about Ukraine. Before a full-scale war, jammers closed the center of Kyiv. There were many reports from colleagues about the loss of drones. Often there was still a video image, and the drone did not obey the remote control commands.
In Kharkov, areas above military units, buildings of special services were closed with jammers.

Reactions: Torque
I spoke about Ukraine. Before a full-scale war, jammers closed the center of Kyiv. There were many reports from colleagues about the loss of drones. Often there was still a video image, and the drone did not obey the remote control commands.
In Kharkov, areas above military units, buildings of special services were closed with jammers.
I get that. And it's well documented that for years Russia has been spoofing GPS signals near Putin's dacha. But this thread is about the drone pilot flying in NYC. Which does not have the jamming that you referred to in your previous post.

But this thread is about the drone pilot flying in NYC
Each pilot certainly tries on his qualifications for the flight that impressed him. I assumed that New York has jammers, I gave my city as an example. No more. I'm sorry.

Reactions: Torque
How do you get approval for BVLOS, >1000' AGL in busy rotary-wing airspace, flying over people, and most importantly, operating from the ground in Manhattan, which is prohibited entirely by NYC law except for first responders. NYPD says to call 911 if you see a drone flying in Manhattan. Also, the air currents in this space are such that I honestly can't imagine a Category 1 sUAS could produce the footage in this video.
The last I checked, Manhattan was not a no fly zone. There are portions that are restricted, such as most of the river, world financial center, world trade center and Police plaza 1 (nypd hq). Also helicopters are not allowed to fly over the city unless they're news or first responders. They're only allowed to fly over the river.

Reactions: LoudThunder
The last I checked, Manhattan was not a no fly zone. There are portions that are restricted, such as most of the river, world financial center, world trade center and Police plaza 1 (nypd hq). Also helicopters are not allowed to fly over the city unless they're news or first responders. They're only allowed to fly over the river.
what about helicopter tours, for example flynyon? according to their website and many reviews, they fly over Central Park and other areas of the city

• Wow
Like I said there are portions that are restricted, but I generally fly in lower Manhattan
I'm confused. B4UFLY is an official FAA app made to show people where they can and cannot fly. It shows that most of the Lower Manhattan is OK to fly. On the other side, there are multiple sources saying you cannot fly in NY at all. So is B4UFLY a reliable and enough source of information or not?

• Wow
I'm confused. B4UFLY is an official FAA app made to show people where they can and cannot fly. It shows that most of the Lower Manhattan is OK to fly. On the other side, there are multiple sources saying you cannot fly in NY at all. So is B4UFLY a reliable and enough source of information or not?
B4UFLY is the authority on where you can and can't *fly* but it generally does not have any info on state or local restrictions on using public spaces to launch and land a drone. NYC is highly restrictive of the latter.

B4UFLY is an official FAA app made to show people where they can and cannot fly.
Try using DroneUp also. but as already been mentioned Regional and local rules and restrictions are not universally published by those entities... So you have to do due diligence to find out what laws, rules, and regulations your local governments put in place...

Let's stay on topic, and avoid politics and personal attacks. Several posts have been removed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc