DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What to turn on first?

Turning on the drone first works for me, but doesn't really matter.

Reactions: Thomas B
@photo2be you have started something now with your question ,my friend
there are two schools of thought old school like me,that do not start the drone till the RC has linked to the device and tells you to start the drone ,and by the same token always switch off the drone first after landing before the RC
then there are those that start the screen device first ,or the drone first followed by the RC , apparently they say it does not matter which order you do it in ,and maybe it doesnt,
if you follow the directions in the DJI manual then you will not go far wrong

With the M2 and Smart Controller, there's an SC option that allows you to skip the start-up menu options, but to do that you have to turn on the M2 first . . . then when the SC powers up, it goes directly to the flight screen. So clearly DJI thinks drone power up first is just fine. :c)

Reactions: zeusfl
With the M2 and Smart Controller, there's an SC option that allows you to skip the start-up menu options, but to do that you have to turn on the M2 first . . . then when the SC powers up, it goes directly to the flight screen. So clearly DJI thinks drone power up first is just fine. :c)
Thanx Bumper, I will for sure try that tomorrow.

Does not really matter. But I usually start drone first. Because it can take some time to get good GPS fix. Then after I start RC and application drone usually ready to fly. If I start drone after RC I usually need to wait GPS fix .

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
So there is no consensus?
I have done it both ways (AC first/RC first), and it doesn't seem to make any difference. One thing for sure: once you turn the AC off, you can't download any pics/videos to the RC/phone...and once you turn the RC off, you can't upload your (recent) flights. So you definitely need to be cognizant of what you're powering down.

Reactions: Thomas B
I have an old habit of always turning on the controller first. Back in the days on R/C flying helicopters or airplanes I reversed servos in the Radio. By turning first the airplane or Helicopter you can have issues like go in full throttle before the remote control reverse the servo. It was more safe doing this.

With DJI products really does not matter but again, I still have the habit to turn on first the remote control.

it’s not going to fly off
This used to be an issue with early Phantoms, but hasn't been a problem with newer drones for some time.

These days, it doesn't matter which is powered on first.

Reactions: Drumsagard
Perhaps most important in this stage of flight prep: allow adequate time for both devices (and the operators brain) to initialize/stabilize and do NOT be in a rush to get airborne. I try and allow 10-15 minutes lag time so that GPS fix is stable, any software conflicts in controller and phone/tablet are identified and eliminate these types of issues. It also give the pilot time to think through their flight profile, look around, walk the area if needed, look for wind and weather visual cues, verify battery voltage and ensure you are safe and ready to fly.

I turn on the drone first ,because if I turn on my controller first it beeps like crazy till I turn on the drone.

I do step on the drone till I get the controller on so it doesn't escape however.

I turn on the drone first ,because if I turn on my controller first it beeps like crazy till I turn on the drone.

I do step on the drone till I get the controller on so it doesn't escape however.
That is the reason I join this forum.
I fixed the beeping and that does not happen anymore.
I turn on the controller to check all of the settings before turning on the drone.

Reactions: Drumsagard
I have an old habit of always turning on the controller first. Back in the days on R/C flying helicopters or airplanes I reversed servos in the Radio. By turning first the airplane or Helicopter you can have issues like go in full throttle before the remote control reverse the servo. It was more safe doing this.

With DJI products really does not matter but again, I still have the habit to turn on first the remote control.
I'm with you. For start, controller first then the drone. For shutoff, drone first then the controller, and have never ever experienced any weird behavior doing it this way.

That is the reason I join this forum.
I fixed the beeping and that does not happen anymore.
I turn on the controller to check all of the settings before turning on the drone.
And how did you do this???

I raced R/C cars back in the day. ALWAYS had to turn on the RC first or the car would launch on its own. If it takes off you have no way to control it. At the race track this would be a very embarrassing moment.

Reactions: zeusfl
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000