DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

what went wonky?

G Randy Brown

Reactions
Good morning friends.
I went out to my driveway earlier to practice stick coordination with drone facing me as suggested by one of the youtube tut guys and noticed lots of weirdness.
1) continuous yawling (is that a word?) while hovering 6' over the driveway lowers my altitude all the way to the ground within a matter of seconds (while wobbling all the way down).
2) APAS and obstacle detection on the drone stops in front of a tree and doesn't attempt to go around.
3) with APAS and obstacle detection turned off I still get the beeping when it detects an object
4) no H264 available in 4K60 only H265 (maybe that is normal?)
I'm hoping I just need to recalibrate something and there's nothing physically wrong.
I did replace a pair of props since flying last but that's all that I can think of that would be different.
Thanks,
Randy

Reactions: Dronage
Good morning friends.
I went out to my driveway earlier to practice stick coordination with drone facing me as suggested by one of the youtube tut guys and noticed lots of weirdness.
1) continuous yawling (is that a word?) while hovering 6' over the driveway lowers my altitude all the way to the ground within a matter of seconds (while wobbling all the way down).
2) APAS and obstacle detection on the drone stops in front of a tree and doesn't attempt to go around.
3) with APAS and obstacle detection turned off I still get the beeping when it detects an object
I'm hoping I just need to recalibrate something and there's nothing physically wrong.
I did replace a pair of props since flying last but that's all that I can think of that would be different.
Thanks,
Randy
sounds like possible compass interference, is there rebar in the driveway, or also not enough sats locked due to buildings close by

Last edited:
I took off from the driveway but the wobbling and constant descent during yawl happened over the yard.
I didn't notice the satellites but I feel sure I would have noticed if the icon was red.

I took off from the driveway but the wobbling and constant descent during yawl happened over the yard.

This can happen if takeoff was over any magnetic anomaly like rebar or iron pipes in the concrete - as you move away from the original anomaly, the compass doesn't know what's happening.

Try recalibrating your MA2 compass (the "rotate this way, rotate that way" dance) and taking off from somewhere other than the driveway?

This can happen if takeoff was over any magnetic anomaly like rebar or iron pipes in the concrete - as you move away from the original anomaly, the compass doesn't know what's happening.

Try recalibrating your MA2 compass (the "rotate this way, rotate that way" dance) and taking off from somewhere other than the driveway?
As much as I was hoping you were right it didnt help and the descent with yawl still happens and it still wobbles while hovering (all with 16 sattelites)
Since the only thing that I've done differently is add a fresh pair of props I'm thinking next I should replace all props to see what happens.
But of course the props don't have anything to do with all the other weirdness listed above.

Yawl having yaw problems?

My guess is rebar in the driveway when you took off from it. Try taking off somewhere else, and you should be able to fly over the driveway.

I don't have much experience with APAS or turning obstacle avoidance off with M2P. I was using ActiveTrack Monday and it found its own way around a branch hanging down.

As much as I was hoping you were right it didnt help and the descent with yawl still happens and it still wobbles while hovering (all with 16 sattelites)
Since the only thing that I've done differently is add a fresh pair of props I'm thinking next I should replace all props to see what happens.
But of course the props don't have anything to do with all the other weirdness listed above.

If that fails, too, you might try getting one of the forum members who can read the telemetry to tell you if you have a controller issue. There was a post a while back where the controller had a bad stick.

If that fails, too, you might try getting one of the forum members who can read the telemetry to tell you if you have a controller issue. There was a post a while back where the controller had a bad stick.
Hopefully they'll see this but me delivering the telemetry would have to be explained to me like I'm a 6 year old (but I'm more than willing to learn)

Reactions: GARhythm
Yawl having yaw problems?

My guess is rebar in the driveway when you took off from it. Try taking off somewhere else, and you should be able to fly over the driveway.

I don't have much experience with APAS or turning obstacle avoidance off with M2P. I was using ActiveTrack Monday and it found its own way around a branch hanging down.
I've used APAS before and it worked great it's just all of a sudden I'm having all of these seemingly unrelated issues.

"On descent, it yaws to the left."

"When I pushed the left stick up to ascend, the drone yawed to the right."

"When I was trying to use the right stick to translate the aircraft to the right, it was randomly yawing left and right."

;)

"On descent, it yaws to the left."

"When I pushed the left stick up to ascend, the drone yawed to the right."

"When I was trying to use the right stick to translate the aircraft to the right, it was randomly yawing left and right."

;)
ok good to know yawing is a word ?

Reactions: iaincaradoc
Good morning friends.
Thanks,
Randy

1) Post the logs. Instructions: Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide
2) Make sure you have it facing the tree far enough away that it can see a path around. Try starting further back. If you are too close to the tree it won't have a map that it feels can go around.
3) Just don't hit the object, because the drone won't stop you :)
4) Normal, 4k60 is H265 only.

Hopefully the attached files are what you need.

2) Make sure you have it facing the tree far enough away that it can see a path around. Try starting further back. If you are too close to the tree it won't have a map that it feels can go around.

I was only 6 to 8 feet away so that is probably the issue.

3) Just don't hit the object, because the drone won't stop you :)

actually it did stop me it just wouldn't go around it

4) Normal, 4k60 is H265 only.

oh, good to know, thanks very much!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-07-09_[07-06-03][1].txt
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
  • DJIFlightRecord_2020-07-09_[09-12-46][1].txt
    378.2 KB · Views: 4
I took a detailed look at the second file (it was shorter) and a relatively quick glance at the first. I'm not as good as reading logs as some others here, but this one didn't seem to be to hard. I did not see any case where the drone descended without a stick command. There were at least one case in each file where when you held the stick all the way left to yaw it was also being pushed just down (not a ton, but some) which caused your decent. I would recommend you try again and see if you can get the stick straight left. You can also try to calibrate the controller if you think it is necessary, but it seems to work well at other times, so I don't think it is a real issue.

It's hard to move the stick all the way in one direction without having it move a tiny bit in another. I think most people would not really notice if they went from 105 feet to 100 feet while yawing if they held the stick a little down, but since you started at 6 feet, it is pretty noticeable.

I took a detailed look at the second file (it was shorter) and a relatively quick glance at the first. I'm not as good as reading logs as some others here, but this one didn't seem to be to hard. I did not see any case where the drone descended without a stick command. There were at least one case in each file where when you held the stick all the way left to yaw it was also being pushed just down (not a ton, but some) which caused your decent. I would recommend you try again and see if you can get the stick straight left. You can also try to calibrate the controller if you think it is necessary, but it seems to work well at other times, so I don't think it is a real issue.

It's hard to move the stick all the way in one direction without having it move a tiny bit in another. I think most people would not really notice if they went from 105 feet to 100 feet while yawing if they held the stick a little down, but since you started at 6 feet, it is pretty noticeable.
Oh man I hope you're right...I'm still very new at this and yes it was very low when I was checking it so I could have been holding it slightly downward also.
Would the log show it wobbling while hovering?
I'll have to wait until morning to test again as it's 107 degrees and climbing here in the desert :(
Thanks very much!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121