DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

what went wonky?

Oh man I hope you're right...I'm still very new at this and yes it was very low when I was checking it so I could have been holding it slightly downward also.
Would the log show it wobbling while hovering?
I'll have to wait until morning to test again as it's 107 degrees and climbing here in the desert :(
Thanks very much!!!

You can probably see a "wobble" in a log (depending upon what that really means) as it does have aircraft pitch and roll. One of the more experienced log readers could probably spot it pretty easily, but if you can describe what it does, and about when in the flight it occurs, we can look for it. If it happens in the morning, note what time in the flight that it happened, and post the logs, and we can look.

You can probably see a "wobble" in a log (depending upon what that really means) as it does have aircraft pitch and roll. One of the more experienced log readers could probably spot it pretty easily, but if you can describe what it does, and about when in the flight it occurs, we can look for it. If it happens in the morning, note what time in the flight that it happened, and post the logs, and we can look.
Thanks very much, I've never seen any wobble before today and it was happening while hovering (looking like it was dealing with high winds but it was calm) and while taking off (didn't go straight up without bouncing of the legs a couple of times).
I will remember to document things more precisely in the morning.
Thanks again!

If that fails, too, you might try getting one of the forum members who can read the telemetry to tell you if you have a controller issue. There was a post a while back where the controller had a bad stick.
You said you changed props only two. Did you replace the right props on the right position? The props are propsYou said you changed props only two. Did you replace the right props on the right position? The props are marked as to what what are marked as to what pole they go on.

You said you changed props only two. Did you replace the right props on the right position? The props are propsYou said you changed props only two. Did you replace the right props on the right position? The props are marked as to what what are marked as to what pole they go on.

And are the DJI or a third party brand? I've seen some folks have some real trouble with the cheaper ones.

Thanks very much, I've never seen any wobble before today and it was happening while hovering (looking like it was dealing with high winds but it was calm) and while taking off (didn't go straight up without bouncing of the legs a couple of times).
I will remember to document things more precisely in the morning.
Thanks again!
Well the physical part of today's flight was great...it hovered and took off very smoothly with no wobble whatsoever and didn't lose altitude when yawing in place.
The difference from yesterday was I went out to my usual practice area (a huge empty parking lot) and used a launch pad.
Yesterday I took off directly from my driveway (so thinking the rebar did indeed affect it) so that probably had something to do with the wobbling and the descent upon yawing was pilot error (me pushing slightly downward).
The pushing down slightly part was prolly due to me being so uptight at the moment.
I had been practicing maneuvers with AC facing toward me about 8' off the ground and while trying to get out of the way of the giant garbage truck that was about to pick up our trash bin I came literally inches from backing right into the truck (very butt-puckering).
So it fly beautifully today but I'm still having software issues.
Even when switching out of D-cinelike and into normal only H265 was available (no H264 icon showed)
The takeoff button wouldn't respond with several attempts even after restarting...at 1st I thought it was due to my phone but I got the vibration and ability to move the gimbal by sliding (so I would think that rules out my phone being non-responsive to touch )
And lastly it seems I can't turn off the sensors...with both options turned off it will still beep when getting close to anything (like me) and will even stop.
I would very much like to get everything worked out soon as my wife and I are going to Portland, OR next month where there are lots more obstacles than in a giant parking lot ?
Thanks!

Sounds like it could use a RC sticks calibration. Props and magnetic interference most likely for the other problems. VPS, don’t know. Good luck.

The props are marked as to what what are marked as to what pole they go on.
Isn't it just the white or black marks that make a difference? I mean, is there such a thing as say right front only?
and yes they are DJI props, I bought these

[/QUOTE]
Yawing would be the present participle. Yaw can be used as a noun or verb. Depends on context.

The more you know.
[/QUOTE]

"Yawing would also be the past participle: The drone was yawing.

Also a gerund: "The yawing was unexpected."

But I think "The yaw was unexpected" would also be grammatically correct, although perhaps only if in reference to a particular yaw, e.g. right or left.

Next up: Grammar thread. :)

Sincerely,
Egocentric Wordsmith

Is that the ICMU thing where you point it at your monitor?
In Fly app tap the 3 dots upper right. Go to Control and scroll down to RC calibration and follow the instructions. I have to do it more often than I would like, but makes a world of difference. (When it’s Wonky)
Good luck ?

Since the flight today was "normal" I don't see any concern about the props. The controller/sticks looked ok in the logs, but I guess a calibration never hurts, but don't think that is an issue now. If it flew ok today, probably nothing wrong.

-For H265, its not D-cinelike that locks it to H265, its the 4k60. Lower the resolution and/or frame rate and you should be able to get it into H264.

-As for the obstacle avoidance, I can't say I've ever tested trying to fly into something with it completely shut off, so don't know what is going on there. Feel free to post a log and maybe we see something.

- No idea on the take off button. You can always take off manually if it is an issue, but it should work fine.

My wife is a writing scholar. I wish you two could meet! I'd love to hear how you feel about commas!

The Oxford comma is evil. No, I am not a grammarian.

Since the flight today was "normal" I don't see any concern about the props. The controller/sticks looked ok in the logs, but I guess a calibration never hurts, but don't think that is an issue now. If it flew ok today, probably nothing wrong.

-For H265, its not D-cinelike that locks it to H265, its the 4k60. Lower the resolution and/or frame rate and you should be able to get it into H264.

-As for the obstacle avoidance, I can't say I've ever tested trying to fly into something with it completely shut off, so don't know what is going on there. Feel free to post a log and maybe we see something.

- No idea on the take off button. You can always take off manually if it is an issue, but it should work fine.
You're right I had set to normal but it was set to 4K60 and H264 showed up when switching to 4K30.
Regarding obstacle avoidance I should do some more specific testing to see how it's functioning...I was just surprised to hear it beeping so much with obstacle avoidance and APAS turned off.
Take off button not a big deal since I can do it manually but I should be able to see if it has anything to do with my phone after I get my new tablet that's out for delivery now :)
I did the RC calibration just for good measure (thx Capt)

It's not possible that you interchanged the props is it? I thought there was something they changed with prop attachment due to the lawsuit but I'm probably way off base here.

It's not possible that you interchanged the props is it? I thought there was something they changed with prop attachment due to the lawsuit but I'm probably way off base here.
I definitely have white to white and black to black...haven't tried it but I'm not sure one can screw this up since one goes on clockwise and the other is counter-clockwise

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147