DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What will be your most important advise to a new-be?

As other have said: read the manual, outdoors, open space, in line of sight
...and I will add my 2 cents, Light or No Wind, until you appreciate how wind can cause you grief.

I have been watching Youtube videos and reading the posts here.
Would love to hear some of your suggestions.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
Wonderful quote!

If you're entirely new to multirotors, please do yourself a favour and get some flying lessons from an experienced pilot or get yourself a cheap full manual copter to get the hang of it. Read the manual several times and play with the simulator at different wind speeds. Understand and follow your local rules.

The mavic is extremely easy to fly, but only when all the automatic systems are working. Sometimes it can drop to Atti (semi manual) for a few seconds (or longer) and that often surprises beginners. Do not overly trust the automatic functions like Return to Home, auto take off and landing. Make sure you always are ready to override them. Learn to take off and land manually. Get a good feel for visual line of sight flying, know how to determine the heading and attitude of your quad with the naked eye. Don't fly beyond sight.

Should it drop in Atti (you will know because it suddenly drifts with the wind), don't use return to home, it will not find it's homepoint because it lost GPS. It will fly away instead. Practise to fly it back to your homepoint manually, using your sight and the radar on the screen, so you won't have to panic.

I'd say train yourself that your default panic action is full upwards stick. It is almost always the safest action, especially in the case of bird attacks, strange behaviour of the Mavic or getting too close to something. A couple of my scary moments I've tried to manoeuvre out of danger but in the heat of the moment it's easy to mix up your directions.

Of course the only caveat is if you're flying underneath something, which as a newbie you should definitely avoid!!

Buy a cheap $30 drone off of amazon or elsewhere and learn to fly it first. Learn how to hover it and do figure-eights.

The Mavic has GPS, which causes new pilots to believe they are actually controlling the craft when, in fact, they are only steering it, but not actually keeping it up in the air and controlling it. Unaided flight (i.e., without GPS) requires constant stick inputs just to keep the craft from drifting in one direction or another (a bit like trying to balance on top of a unicycle). Eventually, your GPS will crap out on you during a flight. If you can't control the drone without GPS, you WILL crash WHEN (not if) that happens. Learn how to hover and fly without GPS first.

This is the biggest cause of crashes I've seen from friends who had no prior drone experience and then suddenly start flying a Phantom or a Mavic. Also, it's the reason why I wish they had a manual mode on the Mavic, so you could actually practice flying without GPS.

Wonderful quote!

If you're entirely new to multirotors, please do yourself a favour and get some flying lessons from an experienced pilot or get yourself a cheap full manual copter to get the hang of it. Read the manual several times and play with the simulator at different wind speeds. Understand and follow your local rules.

The mavic is extremely easy to fly, but only when all the automatic systems are working. Sometimes it can drop to Atti (semi manual) for a few seconds (or longer) and that often surprises beginners. Do not overly trust the automatic functions like Return to Home, auto take off and landing. Make sure you always are ready to override them. Learn to take off and land manually. Get a good feel for visual line of sight flying, know how to determine the heading and attitude of your quad with the naked eye. Don't fly beyond sight.

Should it drop in Atti (you will know because it suddenly drifts with the wind), don't use return to home, it will not find it's homepoint because it lost GPS. It will fly away instead. Practise to fly it back to your homepoint manually, using your sight and the radar on the screen, so you won't have to panic.

Thank you LakeFlyer, Excellent points you make here, I will keep that in mind.
Thank you!

Learn how to do as much manual operation of the aircraft as possible and practice til it's second nature.
Try to ween yourself off of as many automated functions as possible if you want to take your flying/camera operation to the next level.
Aircraft first, camera second.

Reactions: butterflyslicer
Would become aware of what the current limitations and issues are with dji through reading forums like this one.

If I had done that along with knowing dji tendency for poor customer service it would have been a deal breaker for me.

For starters definitely big open spaces without foliage for you to work out your controls. From experience it is the lack of control and understanding of the movement of your drone that gets you into trouble and likewise if you understand your basic controls well, it's easier to get out of sticky situations.

Also as many have already mentioned, read the manual. Best to know what the mavic can handle and what its limitations are. Otherwise it would result in another rant post on china made products on this forum again [emoji51][emoji23]

And then after you do all that is written above and watch all that is upon U-Tube, put in hundreds of hours of practice - you get to do this:

- Be OK with the fact that your drone may be damaged, destroyed, or never, ever seen again.

- Wherever you are flying in a new area, start by measuring the tallest tree or structure (hover above and then lower down so you're 10-15 feet above. Fly at that altitude or higher.

- Watch that battery level - always

- Put aside some money each paycheck for a new drone.

Reactions: butterflyslicer
FlyGuy8675309 Are you recommending we buy them in pairs?
Thank you for the advise! :)

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."

FlyGuy8675309 Are you recommending we buy them in pairs?
Thank you for the advise! :)

Well, that way you won't have to wait fore the delivery truck......

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlipPak