DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

whats the ticket ($) or penalty for flying without a permit in NYC? Anyone know?

ariburling

Reactions
There are times as a photographer that I need to use a drone at extremely low altitudes in nyc - like 20 ft - 50 ft, in a completely not overhead of anyone or anything situation. Does anyone know what the ramifications might be for getting caught by NYPD in doing so? Maybe I should just call them and ask.

I know here in cleveland , you simply cannot take off . I am not sure how it is in NY so you might test that first before taking off an most likely you will get a warning . You might also call the FAA and see if they have a solution for you.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to Fly in the Rain.

Generative AI says "Flying a drone in New York City without a permit can result in a fine of up to $1,000 or 15 days in jail. The NYPD administers the permit process. The application fee is $150."

I know here in cleveland , you simply cannot take off . I am not sure how it is in NY so you might test that first before taking off an most likely you will get a warning . You might also call the FAA and see if they have a solution for you.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to Fly in the Rain.
why?

I have flown in NYC several times for jobs. I always make sure I am following FAA rules and that I am in unrestricted airspace or get LAANC. I wear high-viz vest, hard-hat and have a VO wearing the same. I am usually not bothered by anyone, but once had a few cops walk-over to me and told me that I shouldn't be flying there. They didn't ask for ID and let me finish that particular flight. Your mileage may vary but that's been my experience

Reactions: JBurghart
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne