DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's your default RTH height ?

I got mine at 100m, there is a few taller object I usually fly past and I always think... that would suck to hit that!

Reactions: facasi
I just received my Mavic pro and am very excited to use it but before I do I have a question regarding the RTH feature. I enjoy hiking and would be using the drone when I reach the peak of a hike and it is on top of a mountain. If I set the RTH height to 60 M is that 60 from take off spot (top of mountain) or if I fly in down in between the mountains is it 60 M from the ground.

Thanks in advance.

I just received my Mavic pro and am very excited to use it but before I do I have a question regarding the RTH feature. I enjoy hiking and would be using the drone when I reach the peak of a hike and it is on top of a mountain. If I set the RTH height to 60 M is that 60 from take off spot (top of mountain) or if I fly in down in between the mountains is it 60 M from the ground.

Thanks in advance.
All heights are relative to take off spot. So flying off a mountain or cliff can very easily give you a negative reading for height.

I have my one set to RTH at 30 metres, but I only use it when I think there's a need.
Every flight and location is different, so RTH height assessment should be part of any good plan at the start of the pre flight set up.

Reactions: colinfowler
If I set the RTH height to 60 M is that 60 from take off spot (top of mountain) or if I fly in down in between the mountains is it 60 M from the ground.
Another way to think about it -- when RTH is initiated, the Mavic will ascend from the current altitude displayed in DJI GO to the RTH altitude (if the current altitude is below the RTH altitude).

Another way to think about it -- when RTH is initiated, the Mavic will ascend from the current altitude displayed in DJI GO to the RTH altitude (if the current altitude is below the RTH altitude).

Yes.. also the Mavic will maintain the current altitude if is above the RTH altitude until landing ... Am I correct ?

I do exactly what Msinger said, go vertical until I can see above everything 360 degrees then add 50'/15.24m (lol)
At this point (7 flights in my log) I don't have a default height. I may eventually choose a default environment, a place where I usually fly. But we live in a fairly heavily timbered area, with several hundred feet and more of terrain elevations. The last thing I want my "smart" drone to do is to decide on its own to default-climb into a tree canopy or to fly into terrain while heading for home. RTH height and behavior are things I check before every liftoff, even (or especially) for flights around the yard. Sometimes I choose "hover" as a loss-of-signal behavior.

500m

I have never reached 500m during an RTH ascent. I always stop the ascent the instant I reacquire signal.

So that question had been bothering for some time. Thanks for clarifying it.

Is this correct to assume?

If I am on a hill, say 400 ft above ground level and set my RTH to 300ft then fly my Mavic to a valley below the hill to altitude -300 feet from my take off position. If RTH is engaged for whatever reason, the Mavic will ascend to 700 ft from ground level then start moving towards “home” or take of position, right?

So that question had been bothering for some time. Thanks for clarifying it.

Is this correct to assume?

If I am on a hill, say 400 ft above ground level and set my RTH to 300ft then fly my Mavic to a valley below the hill to altitude -300 feet from my take off position. If RTH is engaged for whatever reason, the Mavic will ascend to 700 ft from ground level then start moving towards “home” or take of position, right?

The Mavic will ascend 600 ft (300 ft to reach your take off level + 300 ft as your set RTH height)

45m is enough for this area, as the tallest trees generally only reach about 30m. But before each flight I do make sure there's nothing taller than that in the vicinity in case I need to make an adjustment.

70 m AGL, but I’ve gone to max when flying over power lines coming from the power plant to avoid RF interference

Live in Florida, very flat. Mine is currently set to 31 meters or 100 feet, but as others said, adjust accordingly to the situation.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu