DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's your default RTH height ?

It's pretty dangerous to use a default RTH altitude everywhere you fly.

Play it safe and always set the RTH altitude to the tallest obstacle in the flying area over top of the takeoff point + 50 feet (to add some padding since the current altitude can only be estimated).

It's pretty dangerous to use a default RTH altitude everywhere you fly.

Play it safe and always set the RTH altitude to the tallest obstacle in the flying area over top of the takeoff point + 50 feet (to add some padding since the current altitude can only be estimated).

Agree.. sounds good [emoji1362]

Here 40 meters gets me fine.

Reactions: Thomas B and facasi
Haven't flown much lately, but when I do, the tallest things around are usually trees. I keep my RTH set to 50m. Whenever I do fly in unfamiliar airspace I do survey the area but I have never found the need to increase it.

121m where I normally fly up at 8,000' to 10,000' ASL up in the Rocky Mountains. I live up at 8,000' ASL in very mountainous terrain and sometimes 400' AGL is not enough as there are high vertical cliffs within 3 miles of my take-off point, one cliff over 2,500' vertical where the base of the cliff is at 9,000' ASL. Most trees in the area are up to 100 to 120' AGL. I adjust my RTH accordingly. When I'm at my other home basically at sea level in CA I'll set my RTH usually at about 50m above the highest terrain in the area where I might be flying. I learned the hard way!

I don't suppose there's a good tool/app for estimating heights is there?
Ascend above the takeoff location until you can see the horizon in all directions. Then, add 50 feet to the current altitude displayed in DJI GO.

That is a very good tip. I've used this procedure often! I've also sworn that my Inspire was clear of the top of a 120' snow covered Ponderosa Pine while standing at the base a year ago looking at my monitor when I wound up dragging my camera through the fresh powdered snow on top of the tree. I found it on my video after the flight. I cut it too close when taking measurents of a few trees that have popped up in other videos.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milixa9705