DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When is it too hot to fly

Akademik

Reactions
OMG I have been waiting for a day like today for a long time. Completely clear skies and about 85 degrees. I have 3 full batteries and my ND filters wind are about 5-9mph so up up and away I go. However when I got to battery 3, I noticed that the battery and the drone was a little hot. Then I got to wondering....hmmmm what is too hot? Why did DJI decide to make the battery temperature so prominent? I’d hate to be out 1500ft and then get a battery warning please land warning.(Don’t even know if it exist) So my question is when is it too hot temperature wise and what degree should the battery stay below? (Side not why doesn’t the battery temp switch to Fahrenheit?)

Reactions: Lionfish
According to DJI

The batteries should be used at temperatures between -10° and 40°C. Use of batteries in environments above 50°C can lead to fire or explosion. Using batteries below -10°C will severely reduce performance, as they will not meet normal use requirements.

Reactions: Lionfish and ven
I have found they get warm regardless of temp(unless of course its really cold out). The large metal heat sink is there for this reason, if it feels quite warm its doing its job. Flying should not be an issue, even running 3 batteries though. Time to be careful is when uploading footage and can be sat there for a good few minutes. A cool fan aimed at the drone helps out there. I am sure if it does get too warm/hot, it will warn on the screen, but never seen anything so far. I would also think dji would put a parameter in to allow time to land if the case. The battery poly/li chemistry is quite hardy, when testing out, extremes of over charging and discharging many times over. They are tested to much more than what we can throw at them. Also temps over 80oC /175F get surpassed in torture tests. So although not ideal, temps of 40-50 degrees can be dealt with. Just of course allow to cool down fully before charging back up. On the dji site, the air 2 battery shows charging temp -10 to 60oC and discharge 5-40oC. What temp did your screen app show for the 3 cells?

OMG I have been waiting for a day like today for a long time. Completely clear skies and about 85 degrees. I have 3 full batteries and my ND filters wind are about 5-9mph so up up and away I go. However when I got to battery 3, I noticed that the battery and the drone was a little hot. Then I got to wondering....hmmmm what is too hot? Why did DJI decide to make the battery temperature so prominent? I’d hate to be out 1500ft and then get a battery warning please land warning.(Don’t even know if it exist) So my question is when is it too hot temperature wise and what degree should the battery stay below? (Side not why doesn’t the battery temp switch to Fahrenheit?)
The biggest problem that usually comes from excessive heat is that the display will freeze or if it’s an iPhone or possibly other phones first the display will dim and then eventually go blank. Those are the problems that I have had with warm weather flying. I have heard there are less problems with the smart controller with overheating I’ll find that out soon

Reactions: MercHornet
Here in Phoenix we have already hit 111F so I try and fly early...before 8 am if I can

• Wow
Reactions: ven
Pull the SD card. I don't get it when people use other methods..sorry
I see both sides, I am not a fan of keep removing micro SD cards. Latches can wear and the whole design is not very strong to start with. Some might struggle removing them, especially if there is not much room to get fat fingers in! . I have used both methods , but do find it more user friendly leaving in the drone.
Cheers.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I see both sides, I am not a fan of keep removing micro SD cards. Latches can wear and the whole design is not very strong to start with. Some might struggle removing them, especially if there is not much room to get fat fingers in! . I have used both methods , but do find it more user friendly leaving in the drone.
Cheers.
?

Have to help me more than a ? haha
I don’t understand where this thread went I thought it was about when is it too hot to fly

I have a battery that started to bulge after almost two years (Mavic Air 1), I measured the temperature after about 11 min. flight and it was 154 degrees.
I do not use that one anymore. My new batteries measure 128 degrees and the inside of the drone is the same. I always let everything cool down before
charging or uploading photos. I have only removed my SD card once in two years just to go from 32GB to 128GB.

I don’t understand where this thread went I thought it was about when is it too hot to fly

Yes and i also mentioned to be aware of the heat when its sat there uploading data. Thats if you choose to upload from the drone, it gets quite warm and to use a fan , which helps keep cool. Mr hiflyer mentioned about removing the card which he prefers to do........hope maybe clearer. Cheers

Yes and i also mentioned to be aware of the heat when its sat there uploading data. Thats if you choose to upload from the drone, it gets quite warm and to use a fan , which helps keep cool. Mr hiflyer mentioned about removing the card which he prefers to do........hope maybe clearer. Cheers
OK now I get it but you should be pulling the card out every time and download it into the computer, there is really no extra wear and tear on anything

(you should be pulling the card out every time and download it into the computer)
Maybe no wear and tear but why? I use a Mac and send it from drone to computer. When the card starts
to fill, I format it in the drone and start over. No need to remove the SD as far as I'm concerned.

(you should be pulling the card out every time and download it into the computer)
Maybe no wear and tear but why? I use a Mac and send it from drone to computer. When the card starts
to fill, I format it in the drone and start over. No need to remove the SD as far as I'm concerned.
how do you even do that if I may ask?

Reactions: Akademik
how do you even do that if I may ask?
Well, mines a Mavic Air 1 and I simply run the USB (that came with it) from the back of the drone to the computer. As far as formatting the SD card in the drone, just google that
and you will see the instructions on video easier than me writing it all here. Good luck.
Oh and you can format the SD card and or the internal storage.
I should add that you only turn on the drone to send your photos, but to format I am connected to DJIGO4 with the drone.

Last edited:
Well, mines a Mavic Air 1 and I simply run the USB (that came with it) from the back of the drone to the computer. As far as formatting the SD card in the drone, just google that
and you will see the instructions on video easier than me writing it all here. Good luck.
Aahhh that’s what that port is for on the drone, thanks for the info but it sounds like either way is a wash as far as uploading labor but maybe not I’ll have to try it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54