DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When to charge your Batteries

RealSting

Reactions
Q1. Can one charge their batteries (and still maintain excellent battery health) the day before, say 12-18 hrs before flight?, as I've been charging them on the day of flying which is a pain!

Q2. How can one know when the controller is FULLY charged? mine just FLASHES the four green lights - I was under the impression they all GO OUT when its reached its maximum charge?

Thanks.

I don't have an A2S but with my Mini 2 I've noticed that the batteries usually start around 95-96% when I charge ahead of time. I'm thinking of doing a full charge and then a quick top-off charge before heading out the door.

My controller lights go off when it's done charging.

Q1. Can one charge their batteries (and still maintain excellent battery health) the day before, say 12-18 hrs before flight?, as I've been charging them on the day of flying which is a pain!
Here's what I do, and have managed Lithium-based batteries (including my car) for many years.
1) Charge batteries day/night before to full for a flight the next day.
2) Store around 50% charged (2 lights--blinking or not) before next flight. Note: hover for a few minutes if you have to.
Rinse and repeat.

A couple of tips:
1) Whenever possible, avoid charge/discharge when "hot" (e.g. don't charge right after a flight...or fly right after charging)
2) Rotate batteries when possible; it doesn't hurt for a battery to sit idle for a few weeks at time...just don't do it when full or empty (less than ~20%)

Here's a great article done by Mike Singer of the forums.

Reactions: RealSting
Here's what I do, and have managed Lithium-based batteries (including my car) for many years.
1) Charge batteries day/night before to full for a flight the next day.
2) Store around 50% charged (2 lights--blinking or not) before next flight. Note: hover for a few minutes if you have to.
Rinse and repeat.

A couple of tips:
1) Whenever possible, avoid charge/discharge when "hot" (e.g. don't charge right after a flight...or fly right after charging)
2) Rotate batteries when possible; it doesn't hurt for a battery to sit idle for a few weeks at time...just don't do it when full or empty (less than ~20%)
I live just outside Toronto so my flying season ends late November and begins again in late April. Over those non-flying months I perhaps once or twice charge them back up to 100% and then discharge them to the storage level.

I live just outside Toronto so my flying season ends late November and begins again in late April. Over those non-flying months I perhaps once or twice charge them back up to 100% and then discharge them to the storage level.
That's a good idea. I'm usually able to find a couple of days (in Texas) during the winter to fly, which helps keep everything "calibrated". I notice people have had trouble with their IMU/compass/etc. when they don't fly for several months.

Reactions: chopperguy
To what lowest level is it best to not fly batteries below for their longevity?
Thanks,
Mike

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose