DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When Will We See The Mavic Pro 2 ?

Reactions: Anthony Viscomi
Seen this alot, its all good, but as the Mavic 2 is apparently due this year, surely someone must have a bit more details- well any actual details would be nice- ... a picture or maybe a schematic drawing .

All ive seen so far is a childs line drawing, and a few vague details that to be frank, could have just as easily been guessed at by the same child who did the drawing :D

I’m just getting ready to buy the Mavic Pro. Should I️ wait? I’m excited about purchasing it. But if it will be released later this year I️ might as well go ahead and get it.

Reactions: Smalls
Let’s not spread rumors. Given the lack of actual flying areas for many all drone manufacturers must deal with the reality that fewer and fewer people will be buying drones. Yep, there will be some that buy because they have secluded places to fly / film but that’s not most of us. Our reality is that drones are being restricted in all locations and those pilots that ignore the ‘rules’ will cost the rest of you fewer and fewer places to fly.

If DJI wants to sell drones they will need cheaper models and LONGER flight times. Only LOS (line of sight) drones will be allowed soon. You may disagree but look at the industry, it’s not opening up, it’s being restricted. DJI clearly knows this and hopefully DJI will educate buyers not market to the few that don’t think it through.

As much as I'm looking forward to the mavic Pro 2 I'm definitely going to wait 4-6 months or so after lunch so that way all the problems and most of the major bugs that people experienced with their mavic the first go-round won't be there hopefully.

Reactions: AdamDom
As much as I'm looking forward to the mavic Pro 2 I'm definitely going to wait 4-6 months or so after lunch so that way all the problems and most of the major bugs that people experienced with their mavic the first go-round won't be there hopefully.

I got an early Mavic and never had any bug. Same with P2, P3P and I2 before the MP. The MP release was a mess but that´s more due to the overwhelming demand than the drone itself, and it says a lot. These drones won´t ever be completelly bug-free. Well maybe someday but at the present the technology advances so fast it´s a continuous process.

Also, consider the effects of DJI´s accumulating experience and expertise. The latest releases (Spark, Inspire and even the Mavic IMHO) were pretty well finished as a product. Of course the FW part needs improvement. And I admit that´s the crux when it comes to drones, but even at that I´d say DJI is doing better and better.

Some may disagree and also argue that CS also needs a lot of improvement but that´s not my point here. The hardware part has improved incredibly in just the last couple of years, and no one has come close really.

Reactions: Jarthe3
Looks buky to me due to its height, compared to Mavic. And it has to convince in real life first, same as Walkera Vitus 320. The previous Autel products have not been that convincing, same for Walkera.
And I cannot see that uniqe feature over the Mavic. More obstacle avoidance sensors are nice but as we have learned meanwhile, they are not 100% reliable, especially if confronted with trees with thin leafless branches or power lines...

It looks like DJI might be gearing up for a late 1st quarter release. Here's a new recent tweet from OsitaLV:

Tweet.jpg

If that's the case, I'll hold off on buying the Mavic Air. My guess is that the Pro 2 will look similar to the Air (slightly larger, but with the much more polished, refined look of the Air) but have OcuSync, 30+ minute flight time, better camera, etc.

You know, it occurs to me that flying drones as an avocation or as a profession is a lot like using computers for your hobby or job.
- Products get less expensive and more feature-rich over time;
- a "future-proof" product does not exist;
- the UI and OS (and its support) are key to customer satisfaction;
- the expense of continually staying technologically current is very high.

I have buying computers since the early 1980s. I believe that owning computers for 35-years has been proper financial training for my owning a drone. However, I do see an interesting difference: the rate of technological advancement in drones seems to have far outpaced those in the world of computers. Therefore, I am resigned to evaluate my choice of drones much more frequently (year-to-year?) than I usually do for computers. My budget will probably not be large enough to stay technologically current. So, I'm sticking with the MP until I have a chance to evaluate the MP-2.

Being a photographer/videographer, the next purchase will be driven by significant advancements in camera quality and video recording (1" sensor, adjustable aperture, >60Mb/s, etc.).

I can get by with the MP; heck, I'm still using a 2011 MacBook Pro with an SSD and 16gb of memory! But the UI suits my style, the OS has been bulletproof and the Apple's support has been outstanding. On the other hand, those qualities also happen to be areas in which DJI could accelerate their "continuous improvement" practices.

If that's the case, I'll hold off on buying the Mavic Air. My guess is that the Pro 2 will look similar to the Air (slightly larger, but with the much more polished, refined look of the Air) but have OcuSync, 30+ minute flight time, better camera, etc.

And hopefully obstable avoidance sensors that include rear sensors.

You know, it occurs to me that flying drones as an avocation or as a profession is a lot like using computers for your hobby or job.
- Products get less expensive and more feature-rich over time;
- a "future-proof" product does not exist;
- the UI and OS (and its support) are key to customer satisfaction;
- the expense of continually staying technologically current is very high.

I have buying computers since the early 1980s. I believe that owning computers for 35-years has been proper financial training for my owning a drone. However, I do see an interesting difference: the rate of technological advancement in drones seems to have far outpaced those in the world of computers. Therefore, I am resigned to evaluate my choice of drones much more frequently (year-to-year?) than I usually do for computers. My budget will probably not be large enough to stay technologically current. So, I'm sticking with the MP until I have a chance to evaluate the MP-2.

Being a photographer/videographer, the next purchase will be driven by significant advancements in camera quality and video recording (1" sensor, adjustable aperture, >60Mb/s, etc.).

I can get by with the MP; heck, I'm still using a 2011 MacBook Pro with an SSD and 16gb of memory! But the UI suits my style, the OS has been bulletproof and the Apple's support has been outstanding. On the other hand, those qualities also happen to be areas in which DJI could accelerate their "continuous improvement" practices.

I'm with ya. We have the same Macbook, same upgrades. Mine has been great, though it's showing it's age. But there has been nothing substantially better enough to tempt an upgrade. Moore's law doesn't really exist anymore for laptops -- there have not been really substantial improvements in a few years. There are some big leaps in desktops, but those are best captured by building your own (I have an i7 7700 4.2ghz 32 GB GeForce1080gpu Hackintosh dual-boot).

But Moore's law seems to be just getting started with drones. I actually downgraded from an Inspire 1 Pro to a Mavic Pro this year. Of course, the Inspire was a superior machine, but it was a monster. The Mavic is about 75% of what I need...and a 1" sensor, while not FF, APS-C or even MFT, would make the Mavic 95% of what I need. And that will be good enough. We will never have everything... and even if we did, something fancier would catch our eye in about a year....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett