DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where are the Raw photos saved?

Chris:

Here is the link for the free Adobe DNG Converter- just select your operating system (PC or MAC) and follow the prompts.
According to the description in that program, it's to convert TO dng format, so it's not going to help with the OP's issue.

You need a RAW file reader. I have one that is probably the most popular. It is a free download from Adobe and works on Mac or PC (you have to indicate which one you want to download). The DNG converter needs constant updates to accommodate new cameras being released on the market. Just GOOGLE this term. "Adobe Free DNG converter," and find what you need from there. When you have the free DNG converter your computer will be able to convert your DNG files from the SD card to RAW files.

Of course after you download it and try it out, if you don't like it, just go the program file in your downloads and delete it.
I thought the Adobe program was used to convert various proprietary raw formats (e.g. Canon's CR3) to DNG for greater compatibility with editors? Doesn't Lightroom etc. work fine with the DNGs straight out of the Mini 2?

I thought the Adobe program was used to convert various proprietary raw formats (e.g. Canon's CR3) to DNG for greater compatibility with editors? Doesn't Lightroom etc. work fine with the DNGs straight out of the Mini 2?
You are correct .. the program Dale gave a link for isn't going to help at all.

But there is NO difference in their resolution
That's not completely true. Resolution is only a part of the information a picture can contain. A raw file has a much bigger latitude than a jpg because the colours and contrasts aren't being fixed but wide open to quality image manipulation.
A jpg has only 8 bits of depth while the raw/dng has a depth of 12bits. Thats more than twice as much color/luminance information!
Ton

Last edited:
That's not completely true.
It is completely true.
There is no difference in resolution between the jpg image files and the raw image files.

So many of the members here have only rudimentary photographic knowledge and are confused by simple photographic concepts.
But they are bullied into thinking they must use raw images and that jpg = junk from reading these threads, when they could be getting all they want or need from jpg images and so much easier.
All the talk about 12 bits and luminance means nothing when you don't understand shutter speed and exposure.

Last edited:
Reactions: merak75
It is completely true.
There is no difference in resolution between the jpg image files and the raw image files.

I'm still getting my head around resolution difference here.
Help me out.

Ok, I have some M1P photos in a file, same scene taken in DNG and JPG.
The DNG is 23.2mb.
The JPG is 3.66mb.

Isn't the DNG higher resolution ?
Obviously the drone / software has processed the JPG how it feels best, I have only downloaded these from the microSD and saved to the respective folders on my desktop computer.

EDIT - Whoops, sorry, saw post 13 and absorbed that more, maybe I'll try manipulating the DNG and save as JPG, that will bring back file size I guess to relatively same as drone processed JPG ?

I'm still getting my head around resolution difference here.
Help me out.

Ok, I have some M1P photos in a file, same scene taken in DNG and JPG.
The DNG is 23.2mb.
The JPG is 3.66mb.

Isn't the DNG higher resolution ?
Obviously the drone / software has processed the JPG how it feels best, I have only downloaded these from the microSD and saved to the respective folders on my desktop computer.
I must have pointed out 5 times in this thread that the resolution of the jpg image is exactly the same as that of the dng image.
This is this confusion of basic photographic concepts I mentioned in my previous post.
Resolution is basically the number of pixels in your image.
If you have one of DJI's smaller drones, the resolution is 12MP or 4000 x 3000, regardless of whether the image is saved in a jpg or dng file.

The file size differs because jpg files are compressed to give their smaller file size, while the dng file is not compressed.

Reactions: merak75
I must have pointed out 5 times in this thread

The file size differs because jpg files are compressed to give their smaller file size, while the dng file is not compressed.

Apologies, yes my almost immediate edit noted that . . . I overlooked it because I think the next post came up form you addressing the other downloading matter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50