DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where can I get an appraisal on my new-to-me Mavic Pro?

Catfish

Reactions
I just bought a never flown Mavic Pro.
I'm looking to get insurance through State Farms and they want an appraisal but they don't know anyplace where I can get an appraisal.
I called one local hobby shop but as soon as I said Mavic he stopped me and said he couldn't help since he doesn't sell them.
I tried to explain what I was looking to do but he wasn't interested.
Any ideas out there?
Thanks.

See if they will let you demonstrate that it is 100% in working order, then just go off of Best Buy's pricing.

In that case, I wonder if a receipt made up by the other person would work (assuming he bought it from someone you know)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rnl
If you want to buy DJI's Care Refresh you need to send them a video. They have a link showing you exactly what procedures you need to undertake.
Perhaps if you made a video to the DJI "specification" and sent that to State Farm they may accept?

I just bought a never flown Mavic Pro.
I'm looking to get insurance through State Farms and they want an appraisal but they don't know anyplace where I can get an appraisal.
I called one local hobby shop but as soon as I said Mavic he stopped me and said he couldn't help since he doesn't sell them.
I tried to explain what I was looking to do but he wasn't interested.
Any ideas out there?
Thanks.

Is this because you told them it was second hand? I can't imagine them wanting a sales receipt for everything they insure. In the event of a claim, yes. So maybe you need to just fabricate a receipt for whatever you paid for it.

If you want to buy DJI's Care Refresh you need to send them a video. They have a link showing you exactly what procedures you need to undertake.
Perhaps if you made a video to the DJI "specification" and sent that to State Farm they may accept?
I want to go with State Farm, not DJI.

In that case, I wonder if a receipt made up by the other person would work (assuming he bought it from someone you know)
The guy I bought it from says all he has is his credit card receipt and I guess he doesn't want to do the legwork to get me a copy.

Is this because you told them it was second hand? I can't imagine them wanting a sales receipt for everything they insure. In the event of a claim, yes. So maybe you need to just fabricate a receipt for whatever you paid for it.
I never mentioned that it was second hand.
They wanted proof of value.
I told him to check BestBuy.com.
I'm guessing they needed a receipt to put in my file.
As of right now, that's my plan.

Reactions: Thwyllo
I never mentioned that it was second hand.
They wanted proof of value.
I told him to check BestBuy.com.
I'm guessing they needed a receipt to put in my file.
As of right now, that's my plan.

When an insurance agent is being as dimwitted as this and can't even work out an agreed value based on price list, resorting to a little skulduggery is often the only resort. Do it with a clear conscience.

When an insurance agent is being as dimwitted as this and can't even work out an agreed value based on price list, resorting to a little skulduggery is often the only resort. Do it with a clear conscience.
I'm not doing anything underhanded. I will sleep well my friend.
:D

Reactions: Thwyllo
You could try a different agent. If the policy covers replacement value then a price list from DJI or other retailer and a live demonstration or video showing that it works should do. They are trying to protect themselves from someone trying to trade a wreck bought at salvage prices for a new craft.

You could try a different agent. If the policy covers replacement value then a price list from DJI or other retailer and a live demonstration or video showing that it works should do. They are trying to protect themselves from someone trying to trade a wreck bought at salvage prices for a new craft.
I understand it.
I offered to bring it into the office and they told me no.
SHRUG

They probably got burned too many times already.

I'm sure there are a few other agents in the area. Could you try to go through a different person? I'm not too sure how State Farm works or if they even allow you to switch. If they do, try and find someone that is a bit more comfortable with insuring drones. When reading a Reddit forum, I found out that it seems like it's one of those gray areas that, when asked about, certain State Farm agents didn't even know they could do.

Drones are fairly a new thing for insurance companies to insure, so I am pretty sure that’s why they asked for a receipt so they know how much they will have to pay out should it get stolen, damaged, etc.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54