DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where do you fly from on a hot day? This is what I have resorted to... I like it!

If all you care about is making questionable YouTube content, then yeah... take off out of your sunroof and zoom away. If your serious about photography or real videography then don’t kid yourself...

Reactions: Starz
In daylight the footage doesn't look better and you have no optical zoom.... You do know when you zoom all the way in it compresses everything allowing you to get shots you just can't on the pro, not even with a digital punch in. The pro is a gimmick to get your money.
Each to his own. The variable stops in the M2P are of much more use in what I do. The settings you select and filter, when needed, offered me more flexibility as does the larger sensor.

If all you care about is making questionable YouTube content, then yeah... take off out of your sunroof and zoom away. If your serious about photography or real videography then don’t kid yourself...

I had the pro and returned it.
Each to his own. The variable stops in the M2P are of much more use in what I do. The settings you select and filter, when needed, offered me more flexibility as does the larger sensor.

The zoom has all of the same settings, the pro just has a higher dynamic range and more pixels... I have never seen zoom vs pro footage that justify not being able to zoom.

I had the pro and returned it.

The zoom has all of the same settings, the pro just has a higher dynamic range and more pixels... I have never seen zoom vs pro footage that justify not being able to zoom.
Sorry, but it does not. Again each to his own.

I prefered zoom because of, well, 2x-4x zoom.
But Pro does provide more photographic settings, particularly aperture. They also took out a lot of the profile settings from Zoom. My P3A has more than the M2Z.

When it is too hot for me, I figure I am not doing my equipment and batteries much good to put them out in that heat.
Most drones will handle hot days - after all, they are 'air conditioned' by all that prop wash.

Fun video, but flying in Temps over 85 degrees is bad for your drone over 95 and you are frying your electronics, motors, battery and your phone or monitor. If its humid out worse, if you fly in hot humid weather like say Florida, and you take your drone inside a cool air-conditioned house, well the water vapor in your drone will condense around the electronics and say you turn your drone on to pull off video, well guess what puff. So FYI flying in hot weather.

Most drones will handle hot days - after all, they are 'air conditioned' by all that prop wash.

Hot air is hot air whether blowing or not; nothing "conditioned" about it. M2 batteries have enough problems without subjecting them to high static temps that only increase when flying. Black I-pads don't do well in sunshine on hot days either. YMMV

Fun video, but flying in Temps over 85 degrees is bad for your drone over 95 and you are frying your electronics, motors, battery and your phone or monitor. If its humid out worse, if you fly in hot humid weather like say Florida, and you take your drone inside a cool air-conditioned house, well the water vapor in your drone will condense around the electronics and say you turn your drone on to pull off video, well guess what puff. So FYI flying in hot weather.
I fly in the eastern and southern metro Phx area most commonly. I check, among other things, the ambient temp. I do not launch if the temp is 102degrees For more. I am mostly flying sun up and sunrise times as a consequence, but am not experiencing any problems with batteries or drone with this habit.
Also, after landing I put the bird in the shade with battery removed until the drone and it’s motors palpate neutral temp when I touch it/them.

Last edited:
Does it affect range at all ? ? you seemed pretty far out from Atlanta ??‍♂️

Bad news for those of us in Texas and the South in general, then. ;) We are routinely between 95 to 100 degrees for three or four months out of the year. But point well taken; especially the part about water vapor condensation. I open my rig when I get to the field and let things warm up a bit and dry out after bringing everything out of the nice cold AC before powering anything up, because your point works the other way, too, cold to hot. I can leave the house this time of year and as soon as I hit the heat and humidity my glasses completely fog up. I also always pull the SD cards to do the footage transfer directly to my laptop, and only fire up the equipment inside after it's all had a chance to dry out.

...,, flying in Temps over 85 degrees is bad for your drone over 95 and you are frying your electronics, motors, battery and your phone or monitor. ......,,
Many of us have no choice. I would ask for the reference material related to temperature as the manual an what I have seen on the DJI website doesn’t support your assertions.

What additional camera options does the pro have that the Zoom doesn't?

The big one is variable aperture. As a stills photographer this was the deciding factor though I know plenty of videographers like it too.

They are both great drones though and we’re lucky to have such choice :)

Reactions: Thomas B

A very popular drone guy who is way ahead of my noob level experience. FWIW, I simply fly in the shade of a tree near a good lift off and landing point. Works great in Texas (for me, anyway).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3