DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where does Mavic get it's GPS satellite from?

Bunraku

Reactions
Hi

Just wondering where the Mavic gets it's GPS info from?

The Mavic itself which I suspect?
The Mavic controller?
Or the tablet/phone you have attached to the controller?

The reason I'm asking is I've had 2 disconnects recently and although there are many possible causes I want to keep my phone on flight mode and don't know if this will affect if It can pick up the satellites. I don't believe it's the case, but just checking.

Thanks

Thanks

Is this a trick question ?

Like who's buried in Grant's tomb ?

Reactions: Timbo~SYD
All right. New guy. I am learning in a congested area but will be flying in Montana in really open space. How can I assess GPS availability? Wait till I get out there?

Reactions: Cuervo and MrsTreat
Great. Perfect for assessment. Now what I need to a way to identify the place. Will GEO Location work? Lat Long I mean.

GPS satellites are in a orbit 12,550 miles above earth and pretty much guarantee coverage if you can see the sky. There are a total of 4 satellites + 1 spare in each of 6 orbital planes that circle the earth twice per day.

At that altitude, you can pick up satellites as soon as they cross the horizon, usually only 1 satellite from each orbital plane will be hidden from view, 2 max. This means at any given point on earth, you should be able to pick up a minimum of 12 satellites, unless something is blocking part of the sky, like a mountain or a building.

The UAV site for sats is conservative for me as it usually says locked on 2-4 less says than I actually get on my drone. I guess that is a good thing.

Great. Perfect for assessment. Now what I need to a way to identify the place. Will GEO Location work? Lat Long I mean.
You don't need to do all of that. The Mavic will take care of it.
Let the Mavic get 10-11 satellites and you will be fine.
It will probably connect to more than that.

Reactions: Odom1957
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000