DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

which direction is the RADAR map point pointing towards?

My iPad mini2 and iPhone 6S shows North when controller is pointing North. My red arrow is pointing North when MPP is pointing North. All other compass indications are correct. Red arrow always points to Home Point when MPP is coming Home.
I must be doing something right.

DanMan32
Bless you for describing the "itty bitty" compass lock symbol.

So here is what I just tested and found for the MAP display on RC cell phone
with the "lock" showing, then with drone facing NORTH and me standing directly behind it the red arrow is pointing WEST. If I rotate the drone through the 4 compass directions, the red arrow rotates in a circle always being 90 deg CCW incorrect for the direction of the nose of the drone.

If I rotate the RC in a circle around the drone, the picture on the MAP stays constant and does not change unless I change direction of drone nose.

I now "unlock" the lock symbol and see the "itty bitty" compass pointer. Now the nose of the drone is always pointing in the desired direction when I make it go through the 4 compass directions. When I walk around the drone (whose nose points NORTH) then the image on the map goes around in a circle as I walk around it. And the red arrow shows the correct orientation of the drone nose with respect to where I am standing.

So it appears that I have to always turn off the "lock" and then I will get the correct nose orientation. Didn't even know there was a lock on the map image. No documentation in the Mavic Pro user manual. Would there be a 'secret place' where all these magic actions are described and exposed?

I still think there is a 'bug' in the apk that the 'locked' position always has the nose orientation off by 90 deg ccw. And there is also the single instance I found where the RC map had the correct orientation (maybe I accidentally hit the "unlock" button while adjusting the display) and the goggles had the 90 deg ccw orientation. Only happened once, but I will try again tomorrow with the 'lock' button both ON and OFF.

I would love to show all my video images to DJI customer service, but that will have to wait until I can borrow an "officially supported mobile device". So sad that none of this is mentioned in the user manual.
tjcooper

With compass symbol locked, north defaults to the top of the map. I forgot to mention you might be able to turn the map, (I found I could not but I believe I once could) but it will stay in the turned position no matter which way you (not the drone) turns.

So if the map shows north up (top of map being north) and drone heading is north, map should show the AC symbol pointing up.

Better yet, go by the tiny compass symbol and compare AC to that. If in the morning you are flying toward the sun (East), and you have map locked north up, map should show AC pointing right.

Last edited:
New results:
If you "unlock" the cell then the red arrow points direction of drone nose, but when you fly and use directional stick, then the red arrow dances randomly like 90 degrees in either direction. When you release the directional stick, then the red arrow returns to proper orientation. When you use the lock feature, the 90 deg ccw offset is constant and smooth depending on the orientation of drone..

The goggle white outline arrow is always at 90 deg ccw offset no matter what the state of the lock button.

The "itty bitty" compass always points to magnetic north regardless of orientation of the cell phone. But when you use the directional stick it also dances arround randomly until you release the directional stick. Then it goes back to pointing towards magnetic north.

I just wish I could find a cause or at setup paramenter that is causing all this to happen. I just reflashed the drone to 1.04.0500 yesterday. Several different cell phones all give the same result.
This is so confusing.
tjcooper

New results:
If you "unlock" the cell then the red arrow points direction of drone nose, but when you fly and use directional stick, then the red arrow dances randomly like 90 degrees in either direction. When you release the directional stick, then the red arrow returns to proper orientation. When you use the lock feature, the 90 deg ccw offset is constant and smooth depending on the orientation of drone..

The goggle white outline arrow is always at 90 deg ccw offset no matter what the state of the lock button.

The "itty bitty" compass always points to magnetic north regardless of orientation of the cell phone. But when you use the directional stick it also dances arround randomly until you release the directional stick. Then it goes back to pointing towards magnetic north.

I just wish I could find a cause or at setup paramenter that is causing all this to happen. I just reflashed the drone to 1.04.0500 yesterday. Several different cell phones all give the same result.
This is so confusing.
tjcooper

I had something similar happen. Compass was skewing when directional stick was moved. I recalibrated the sticks in the Go4 app and haven’t seen it again.
Apparently the sticks were inducing enough magnetism to change compass indication. Just a thought,and it’s quick and easy.

Magilla Gorilla
I also did the recalibration using 3D compass apk. I had the same "jerkiness" that I had before but the red arrow was now pointing at 10 degress in a new direction. And what is really interesting is that with the "lock" on the map, there is no rotation of the red arrow when you move the position stick.
tjcooper

CURRENT TEST SETUP:
I had to re-install the NLD Mod Client software so that I could get rid of NFZ messages that mess up my screens.

-I use the map with LOCK OFF
-I fly a long ways off and check the red arrow position.
-I make sure the arrow is pointing away from HP
-I fly backwards to bring drone back to home. But as I do this the red arrow move roughly 90 deg while in flight.
-I ignore the new red arrow direction and keep flying backwards for a few seconds.
-after that time, I take my fingers off the direction stick. The red arrow should return to the position of pointing away from HP.
-I then return to backward flying until I can see the drone clearly. And then land.
tjcooper

GOGGLE TEST SETUP:
forgot to mention what happens on goggles. No matter what type of compass recalibration I do or what is the state of the "lock" on RC, the white outline arrow in the goggles is in the "90 deg ccw" from the real orientation of the drone.

So when I fly with goggles, I just rotate the drone until the white arrow points to the LEFT. Then if I pull the directional stick backwards, the drone will return to me. I double-check the progress by looking at the DISTANCE field. It should be dropping quickly as the drone gets closer.

The DJI technician said that DJI Go 4 does not use the compass module inside the goggles. Does anyone know of a trick or apk that can reset the compass in the goggle? That just might make the white outline arrow point in the correct orientation.

What is amazing is that so many other Mavic Pro users say they have never had a problem with either the red arrow or the white outline arrow. I am beginning to wonder if I might have a defective unit. Still under warrantee but don't want to send it in and get a "used" unit back with new problems. And that would necessitate buying a new copy of NLD software since it is based on the drone SN and they do not exchange for replaced units.
tjcooper

The DJI technician said that DJI Go 4 does not use the compass module inside the goggles. Does anyone know of a trick or apk that can reset the compass in the goggle? That just might make the white outline arrow point in the correct orientation.
Reading your ongoing saga, it's apparent you are very confused and reading your posts is very confusing and hard to follow.
Taking what someone from DJI (that might not know anything about anything) who might also have troubles understanding what your issue is, is only going to make that worse.
What is amazing is that so many other Mavic Pro users say they have never had a problem with either the red arrow or the white outline arrow.
What's amazing is that you still haven't worked out what the issue actually is.
I am beginning to wonder if I might have a defective unit.
What unit are you suspecting is faulty?
Didn't you have the same issues with phones?

How about starting all over again with a screenshot that shows what you are wrestling with?

Last edited:
What is amazing is that so many other Mavic Pro users say they have never had a problem with either the red arrow or the white outline arrow.
Here's an example of the kind of thing you need to supply to make things clear.
This is a screenshot of my tablet while flying
i-5cfZZ9H-M.png

You see the radar is showing that I am facing just south of east and my drone is facing a little further to the south and is a little off to the right of the direction I'm facing.

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
Meta4,
thanks for your concern. Sorry that I have not documented everything the way you would like to see it. But I think you can appreciate from the others who have responded that this problem is not just my problem. I checked "red arrow" on the search engine and found about 40 threads that talked about peoples problems with red arrow orientation.

MOST IMPORTANT CLARIFICATION: your example shows the radar blimp image. It is not the RADAR map which is rectangular in proportion. All of my descriptions of problems have been with various combinations of the red arrow MAP system (both locked and unlocked). Additionally, still images will not show the complete problem. It needs to be video to show drone changes and how the MAP screens react.

I have documented that with the RADAR blimp image I generally do get the red arrow at the periphery of the map to align with the direction of the drone. But I have had several cases where that is not always the case, especially when you are controlling the direction stick while flying.

I have Mavic Pro with 5 cell phones connected (and some tablets that I no longer use because the goggles do such a great job). Two of my cells where on the "official approved" list when I got the MP last Feb but now are no longer on the list. My primary cell for flying are two Hauwei Sensa Lite (model H710VL) with 5.5 screen and very fast internal processor for Android. On one Hauwei I run the NLD mod client software to remove all the NFZ next to my house and flying field. The other one I keep at latest firmware version levels. I generally test both of them "back to back" to be sure both give me the same results. Which after I learned about "unlock" they both do.

In "locked" mode, all my cell phones have the red arrow in MAP view at 90 deg CCW to the real direction the nose of the drone points. This problem with arrow not pointing right is EXACTLY mirrored in the goggles white outline arrow.

In "unlocked" mode for red arrow in MAP view, the alignment generally works but after several cell phone map compass calibrations I had them change direction (randomly 30 to 45 deg of the true position). The alignment is very strongly affected by using the direction sticks while the drone is in flight. Once stick is released, the red arrow returns to original orientation.

My recent tests with the RADAR blimp image generally shows good alignment but they also have the problem of random "dancing around" when I use the direction stick during flight.

Some of the other cell phones have red arrow problems that change with cell compass calibration. Today I found out that my Samsung Note 4 can strongly affect the red arrow alignment in "unlocked" mode by varying its position next to the RC with a long cable. It changed red arrow orientation depending on cell phone alignment (portrait or landscape) and how how close it came to the underside of the RC. The Hauwei cells did not show much of a red arrow orientation change when put on the long cable and brought near the RC unit.

I think the above is a very SUCCINCT and COMPLETE description of my devices, methods tested, and results. I have some video of the cell phone screen, but what I need is two persons doing video of cell phone, drone, and goggle images for their orientation. My wife has no clue how to capture video with zoom and pan. So I am limited in the "full operation" videos I can present.
tjcooper

I think the above is a very SUCCINCT and COMPLETE description
Sorry ... I've read all your words until this post and there are too many of them.
It's all very confusing to the readers and hasn't helped at all.
Whatever the issue might/might not be has been lost in all the confusion.
If you want help to cut through the confusion, give a clear and simple demonstration of the situation as per my example rather than another six paragraphs.

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
MOST IMPORTANT CLARIFICATION: your example shows the radar blimp image. It is not the RADAR map which is rectangular in proportion. All of my descriptions of problems have been with various combinations of the red arrow MAP system (both locked and unlocked).
Yes, the map is rectangular but it's using the same data as the radar is.
Show me what youare seeing on the map and/or radar image, just something to show what you are really seeing.

Your use of words is possibly part of the problem.
I've never heard anyone mention a blimp image which makes me wonder what you mean.
Locked/Unlocked? I know now that you mean Track North or Track Up

Additionally, still images will not show the complete problem. It needs to be video to show drone changes and how the MAP screens react.
A picture is worth a thousand words .. and would probably be a lot clearer in communicating what you are seeing (or think you are seeing).
You could use a couple of screenshots if necessary or video if you like.
But try to keep it simple.

its been a year since I posted problem of RH pointer being off by 90 deg counter clockwise.
I just read all the responses on the above mentioned thread that DJI has admitted there is a problem with the RH not pointing correctly. No solution up to end of 2017.

I flew today with 3 cell phones with MP on new NLD software. Same problem. The red radar arrow is always 90 counter clockwise from where it should be. Has anyone heard of a "fix" for this problem? Please ennumerate if a solution exists. Also tried it with my googles on and had same 90 deg error.

NOTE: the NLD is at apk 4.2.22 The aircraft at 01.04.0200 now (it starts of 01.04.0300 but the patch puts it back one step. The new software is FANTASTIC. No more notifications that I am too close to airport (there are 5 of them that surround our flying field and my house. You have to "fix" the db on the aircraft and also on the DJI GO 4. Once done.....no more messages.
tjcooper
Does NLD software mean No Limits Drones

mel,
NLD is the NoLimitsDrone MOD client. And it definitely is a hack.....but it is a great working hack since I cannot lift off the ground where I live or the flight field where I fly without the yellow or red screen of NFZ stopping me.

As I stated several times in this thread, I am using cell phones with the NLD on it and another one with the standard DJI Go 4 of most recent version. I have not seen anything to indicate that anything with my "red arrow" problem is any different from one or the other. And I test both systems everytime I run a test.......makes for alot of work. Have to reflash the drone firmware each time you do it.
tjcooper

i am at a loss as to what the OPs original post and the subsequent posts are really all about. call me thick if you want. you will always need to use the unlock compass icon on the screen if you want the drones direction to move when you turn or yaw the mav during flight. if you fly out a ways and slowly yaw while still moving the red arrow will turn as well. i find it difficult to comprehend why you would be looking so intently at the screen on your device when in reality you should be watching the mav. there is one thing no one has mentioned, that is the fact that the signal from the drone takes a finite time to travel from the mav to the controller,and although it is a very small delay this could explain why the red arrow is always playing catch up. if i turn my drone till the red arrow points to home it always comes back to me i must be lucky i guess

Last edited:
The AC icon will change direction on the map no matter the map track mode. The map track mode (north up vs heads up) is based on your orientation, not the AC's. Exception might be if your device doesn't have a compass.

If you are facing east, then top of map will be east if the compass icon is not locked "north up". If the AC is flying west, then in this scenario it will point down in the map with map not locked north up. Otherwise it will point left, since west is left of north.

mel,
NLD is the NoLimitsDrone MOD client. And it definitely is a hack.....but it is a great working hack since I cannot lift off the ground where I live or the flight field where I fly without the yellow or red screen of NFZ stopping me.

As I stated several times in this thread, I am using cell phones with the NLD on it and another one with the standard DJI Go 4 of most recent version. I have not seen anything to indicate that anything with my "red arrow" problem is any different from one or the other. And I test both systems everytime I run a test.......makes for alot of work. Have to reflash the drone firmware each time you do it.
tjcooper
I'm really unsure how you test the official DJI GO4 app when you can't take of with it. By the way those yellow and red circles you mention the ones that stop you from take off in my part of the world yellow is usually Heliport red Airport I understand why it won't let you take off and your need for a hacked version of the GO4 app but if the NLD version has problems you should be taking it up with them not DJI they should be able to help you let us no how you go.

mel,
re-read earlier in this discussion where I describe what happens when you get the red circles. With my goggles on, the notification eats up 75% of the screen in black and I can only view the image of where I am as the 25% on the edges. If you are near trees or buildings, it makes turning around very dangerous to your craft. It is exactly for this reason that I needed to find out why the red arrow on the navigation screen was pointing the wrong direction.

I complained to DJI tech support about the problem with having so many airports and limited NFZ near where I live. Their answer: find a new location to live.

See next post for a few images.
tjcooper

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO