DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which fpv goggles to buy?

You can get an attachment for the moverios to give you full immersion but that's not really the point of them. I have a set of fat sharks but the moverios are much nicer for me. I NEVER have to lift up my goggles to my forehead to see anything or take a step forward. I can talk to bystanders, see the drone, land it, etc without ever touching my glasses. I will probably sell my fat sharks soon.

You can get an attachment for the moverios to give you full immersion but that's not really the point of them. I have a set of fat sharks but the moverios are much nicer for me. I NEVER have to lift up my goggles to my forehead to see anything or take a step forward. I can talk to bystanders, see the drone, land it, etc without ever touching my glasses. I will probably sell my fat sharks soon.
I went with the DJI goggles, hopefully it was a good choice.

Reactions: DesJardins
Okay you sold me. Found some on amazon for $299. They are waiting at a fed ex store near my house. I'm pretty pumped to give them a try. To my understanding I'll need to update the firmware so they work with the Mavic air. I hope it's easier than updating firmware on the p3.
Good for you.
Consider spending some time getting used to them in the comfort of your home. Take the props off the Mavic air, and learn to use the touch pad, and where all your telemetry is located on the screen. Walk through the menu options.
When you are ready, go fly.
If you are an inexperienced pilot, go out to a wide open field, so you have less to worry about. It also helps to climb high, so there is less risk of flying into tall objects.
They do take some time getting used to, so be patient. Taking your hands off the controller to activate the touch pad has a learning curve.
I use the goggles regularly, they are my favorite way to fly. The goggles provide an experience unlike any other. You'll wish the battery lasted for an hour.
I prefer to bring a lawn chair, because the time in flight is disorienting. At times, I would swear I was facing the drone, but as I brought it in I was facing away 90 degrees...really strange sensation.

I ALWAYS take off, and land with the goggles off of my head. This way you can be more sure of not hitting overhead tree branches, or other.

Good luck. I believe you made the right decision.

Are there any good goggles out there in the sub $500 range? I thought I read somewhere that fat sharks weren't compatible. Id like something decent in the $300 range, but that's probably not realistic.

Owning and using the DJI Goggles with my Mavic Pro has been amazing. I use it to play some Xbox 1 on occasion or watch a movie. Well worth it in imo. If you can’t afford the money straight up and just finance it through Affirm. Good luck

The only options that are usable without a bunch of workarounds are either model of DJI goggles.

If you have an NVIDIA Shield table that has an HDMI port you can use the
You can use Fat Sharks if you're flying with a mobile device that has an HDMI output.

The NVIDIA Shield tablet has an HDMI out port that can be used in conjunction with the Fat Shark Goggles.

Good that you have one but the Shield has been discontinued for ages and is mostly unobtainium nowadays so not really a practical solution for newcomers.

DJI's own Crystalsky is probably next best but a lot more $$.

Good that you have one but the Shield has been discontinued for ages and is mostly unobtainium nowadays so not really a practical solution for newcomers.

DJI's own Crystalsky is probably next best but a lot more $$.

Kilrah - Appreciate the response. As long as NVIDIA keeps pushing out software updates for the Shield, and it's compatible with the CAVU App and or the Go4Pro app, I'm going to keep using it :).

I am using a Sony Xperia XZ premium 4k mobile phone with the Zeiss VR One plus headset and I can highly recommend that setup. The screen quality is way better than on an iPhone 7 also better than on the dji goggles (as far as I heard) while this combo is only half of the price of dji's goggles (not RE). By the way my favourite app for FPV is DroneVR which also gives you this fighter pilot HUD!

I am using a Sony Xperia XZ premium 4k mobile phone with the Zeiss VR One plus headset and I can highly recommend that setup. The screen quality is way better than on an iPhone 7 also better than on the dji goggles (as far as I heard) while this combo is only half of the price of dji's goggles (not RE). By the way my favourite app for FPV is DroneVR which also gives you this fighter pilot HUD!

Privacy concerns with Drone VR , have prevented me from downloading/Installing.

Could you elaborate more on your privacy concerns with DroneVR?

You're a pretty smart guy, So I'll direct you to the "Apps Permission" section of the ap and you can read for yourself the numerous "Other" permissions the app want access to, on your and every body else's phone. If you don't value your security and privacy then be my guest and download away.

You're a pretty smart guy, So I'll direct you to the "Apps Permission" section of the ap and you can read for yourself the numerous "Other" permissions the app want access to, on your and every body else's phone. If you don't value your security and privacy then be my guest and download away.
Ok, thanx for the hint. I am using a dedicated Sony Xperia phone just for flying with my drone - nothing else, there is not even a simcard installed. On the other hand - I don't really want to know what the hundreds of other apps I have installed on my iPhone want to have permission to ;-)

Ok, thanx for the hint. I am using a dedicated Sony Xperia phone just for flying with my drone - nothing else, there is not even a simcard installed. On the other hand - I don't really want to know what the hundreds of other apps I have installed on my iPhone want to have permission to ;-)

You'd be surprised. Read the fine print :).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi