DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which fpv goggles to buy?

heydave23

Reactions
Are there any good goggles out there in the sub $500 range? I thought I read somewhere that fat sharks weren't compatible. Id like something decent in the $300 range, but that's probably not realistic.

You can use Fat Sharks if you're flying with a mobile device that has an HDMI output.

Wow, I was looking for a little more input on this subject. I don't have a hdmi input, so which goggles would you recommend for the DJI Mavic Air?

How is the quality compared?
It's like comparing apples and oranges. The DJI Goggles have a very immersive view. The Moverio glasses project an image that is similar to looking at a large TV screen. The glasses are designed to allow the user to see the drone through the image in the glasses. In my experience, the image in the glasses is either too translucent (making the image hard to see) or so dark/bright that it prevents me from seeing my drone through the image.

the DJI goggles look like a cross between A welding helmet and a halo helmet
They are large and rather heavy (compared to other goggles/glasses). However, there is no other option that has such an immersive view and/or offers the many features DJI has baked into the DJI Goggles.

If you’re flying DJI go DJI and get the submerged view... anything else is a waste in my experience.

I only used my FatShark HD3’s for my Acro quad because they were portable and least amount of latency on 5.8 Analog allowing me to pick my choice of diversity Rx

Reactions: heydave23
Are there any good goggles out there in the sub $500 range? I thought I read somewhere that fat sharks weren't compatible. Id like something decent in the $300 range, but that's probably not realistic.
I've used Litchi, which will enable you to use any headset including $20 sets, but be sure your phone works well. Problem is the resolution of your phone is split in half. So, if you have a 1080p phone resolution it will be 540 in each eye. Not bad to try the experience, but not good for the long term.

I have DJI goggles, which gives 1080 in each eye, so to speak. They are great, but awkward. I use them regularly, and just deal with the toilet bowl seat on my head syndrome. They're worth it. You can buy these anywhere from $200 to $300, now.

My recommendation is to not waste any money. If you are interested in FPV, then buy the DJI goggles.

I've heard pros/cons on the Moverio; including 720 is the highest resolution.

The best deal I can find for new is $299 at the DJI store. Where did you see them foelr $200? I won't buy again directly from DJI, when I bought my p3 from them over 2 years ago they took way too long to ship it and wouldn't keep me updated.
I've used Litchi, which will enable you to use any headset including $20 sets, but be sure your phone works well. Problem is the resolution of your phone is split in half. So, if you have a 1080p phone resolution it will be 540 in each eye. Not bad to try the experience, but not good for the long term.

I have DJI goggles, which gives 1080 in each eye, so to speak. They are great, but awkward. I use them regularly, and just deal with the toilet bowl seat on my head syndrome. They're worth it. You can buy these anywhere from $200 to $300, now.

My recommendation is to not waste any money. If you are interested in FPV, then buy the DJI goggles.

I've heard pros/cons on the Moverio; including 720 is the highest resolution.

I have to agree with the DJI school of thought on this. I have both the Moverios and the DJI goggles and if I had to pick one, it would certainly be the DJI Goggles. They block out everything else so when you fly these, you are "in" the camera. The experience is so real, it's almost scary, especially if you're not big on heights. Just remember the VLOS rules... you're really only supposed to wear these when someone else is piloting, or let someone else use the goggles while you fly LOS+mobile device.

The best deal I can find for new is $299 at the DJI store. Where did you see them foelr $200? I won't buy again directly from DJI, when I bought my p3 from them over 2 years ago they took way too long to ship it and wouldn't keep me updated.
$200 may have been an exageration, but in the classifieds of this site they're listed frequently below $300.
Sometimes people buy them, but lose interest, and just want to recover some of their sunk cost.
I love them.
You can fly in the brightest sun, and not be affected by glare, or other poor visibility.
I sincerely believe that if you use them correctly, they are the safest way to fly. By correctly, I mean that if you are going to fly backwards, then be at a height that will prevent running into anything, and/or rotate the drone to understand what is around you.
One word of caution. You will be so immersed that you are vulnerable. So, I recommend going out to a location you will not be disturbed, and/or use them in your car. Launch the bird while standing outside of the car, then get in, lock the doors and fly. This is great in the summer because you have air conditioner, and in winter you have heat.

$200 may have been an exageration, but in the classifieds of this site they're listed frequently below $300.
Sometimes people buy them, but lose interest, and just want to recover some of their sunk cost.
I love them.
You can fly in the brightest sun, and not be affected by glare, or other poor visibility.
I sincerely believe that if you use them correctly, they are the safest way to fly. By correctly, I mean that if you are going to fly backwards, then be at a height that will prevent running into anything, and/or rotate the drone to understand what is around you.
One word of caution. You will be so immersed that you are vulnerable. So, I recommend going out to a location you will not be disturbed, and/or use them in your car. Launch the bird while standing outside of the car, then get in, lock the doors and fly. This is great in the summer because you have air conditioner, and in winter you have heat.
Okay you sold me. Found some on amazon for $299. They are waiting at a fed ex store near my house. I'm pretty pumped to give them a try. To my understanding I'll need to update the firmware so they work with the Mavic air. I hope it's easier than updating firmware on the p3.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS