DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which iPad

Conch

Reactions
I decided to get an iPad 5.generation to use to fly my MP. Just not clear if WiFi only or WiFi + cellular. Please comment

With the cellular model, you'll be able to access the Internet if the cellular service has been activated. That'll allow you to do things like download and display maps in real-time or stream your flights live to YouTube. If you don't activate the cellular service, you could still access the Internet by connecting your iPad to a hotspot running on a mobile phone.

The cellular Apple models also contain a GPS receiver. With GPS on your mobile device, you can:

1) Use the Follow Me flight mode
2) Manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off

The above GPS-related features will work even if the cellular service has not been activated. All other GPS-related features (e.g. RTH) use data from the Mavic's internal GPS receiver.

Last edited:
Reactions: tictag
With the cellular model, you'll be able to access the Internet if the cellular service has been activated. That'll allow you to do things like download and display maps in real-time or stream your flights live to YouTube. If you don't activate the cellular service, you could still access the Internet by connecting your iPad to a hotspot running on a mobile phone.

The cellular Apple models also contain a GPS receiver. With GPS on your mobile device, you can:

3) Auto reset the home point to your current location as you're flying in the ActiveTrack flight mode

The above GPS-related features will work even if the cellular service has not been activated. All other GPS-related features (e.g. RTH) use data from the Mavic's internal GPS receiver.

Thanks for the comments, appreciate it!!

I don't believe you need cellular to have GPS. The specs for the wifi only iPads indicate that it is GPS enabled, so I think that the only thing you would be missing are the maps. I believe that you would still be able to use all of the other features. If I am incorrect, please let me know.

I don't believe you need cellular to have GPS.
You don't need to have the cellular service enabled/activated, but you definitely need a cellular model.

I think that the only thing you would be missing are the maps
You do not need GPS on your mobile device in order to see the maps. If that's your only concern, then you'd be fine with a Wi-Fi only model.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes