DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which is better

Dusty DJI

Reactions
I recently had the chance to purchase a used air 2s and I missed it by a few hours. So that got me thinking about the Air3 vs Air2S. Still on the fence.
So, I use the drone for Still Photography, not Videos. Mid day to evening shots.
I am used to the RC-N1 controller but am open to the new RC-2 if it is that much better in daylight.
What's your thoughts? Air2S or Air3 for Stills and RC-2 or RC-N2 using my iPad mini 6. I believe that is actually brighter screen

I lost a Air2s and got a Air3, I really do enjoy it more than the air2s and really only do photography as well.

There are some situations where I miss the air2s but i think it is just because i was used to shooting with it and knew it like the back of my hand and honestly worked around some of its limitations as bad habits (lighting in pano shots causing a line in the air3 is driving me nutts ex attached).

I think just the battery life compared to the air2s mixed in with the 3x zoom in photo makes it for me.
I legit like the RC-2 controller vs using my s20 ultra on the RC-N1 now but it is s alittle smaller and took a few days for me to stop thinking about. All in all, the ocusync 4 vs 3 and what i described above def makes me not regret getting the air3... but i do wish i still had the air2s to pull out to play with lol.
View attachment dji_fly_20231205_173114_0116_1701819604128_pano-01.jpeg

The Air 3 hands down is the better design, and its going to provide you with the best chance to capture some amazing pictures , and if you gear it up with a Wet Suit able to capture the best of what Stormy skies can offer.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the rain. Land on the Water.

CleanShot 2023-12-04 at 07.42.07@2x.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dusty DJI
I recently had the chance to purchase a used air 2s and I missed it by a few hours. So that got me thinking about the Air3 vs Air2S. Still on the fence.
So, I use the drone for Still Photography, not Videos. Mid day to evening shots.
I am used to the RC-N1 controller but am open to the new RC-2 if it is that much better in daylight.
What's your thoughts? Air2S or Air3 for Stills and RC-2 or RC-N2 using my iPad mini 6. I believe that is actually brighter screen
Hello,

Rc-2 : 700 nits "only" but so fast and easy to boot/operate - nothing to plug, compact, light
No Sdk = no 3rd party software like Litchi (but you can import Litchi missions made on your computer)

I did buy this Air3 + Rc2 because the camera can be tilted up much more than my previous Air2 drone.
(-90 to 60°)
The 70 mm lens is also a must !

@VenomXts : except electrical lines, I cannot see the line you mention in your picture. Can you help me to see it ? Merci d'avance.

This may surprise you but my first drone was the Mavic 2 Pro in 2018, then the Air 2, then the Air 2s. I now own the Mavic 3 classic! My first recommendation is to look for the largest sensor size. However, in looking back at all my photos, the Mavic 2 Pro photos were the best!

The long lens on the A3 has much better resolution than the wide on A3 or A2s and offers a whole other look. You can stitch together panoramas that are amazing in detail.

I love my air 2S. The air 3 has a smaller sensor even though it's stacked. Photography is my business. I don't see the need for an upgrade. Waiting for the Air 3S in the hopes of a larger sensor with the two cameras. I like the screen on the smart controller. It's really bright. I find my Ipad is good but a little clunky.

I love my air 2S. The air 3 has a smaller sensor even though it's stacked. Photography is my business. I don't see the need for an upgrade. Waiting for the Air 3S in the hopes of a larger sensor with the two cameras. I like the screen on the smart controller. It's really bright. I find my Ipad is good but a little clunky.
This is what can't get past with my decision. I shoot FX and have been since the Nikon D700. I know the difference between FX and Crop Sensor and Medium Format. In the past, I have used all three. The larger sensor always seems better for landscapes, yet people tell me this 3/4" sensor is much better than the 1". Does not compute. :).

This is what can't get past with my decision. I shoot FX and have been since the Nikon D700. I know the difference between FX and Crop Sensor and Medium Format. In the past, I have used all three. The larger sensor always seems better for landscapes, yet people tell me this 3/4" sensor is much better than the 1". Does not compute. :).
That's why I'm waiting to see what they do with the Air 3S. The S series is always better without the bulk. In the mean time there are great buys in the Air 2S with a 1 inch sensor and 20mp. Dollar for dollar its going to get you the quality you need for your photography business and give you a return on your money. I think the air 3 is very good, but is it worth 1,000 more for a smaller sensor. And you already know that on internet pics you wont see a difference anyway.

@VenomXts : except electrical lines, I cannot see the line you mention in your picture. Can you help me to see it ? Merci d'avance.

if you look across the entire picture the exposure of the picture is brighter in the bottom half, this is due to the picture's physically being taken brighter in the auto pano. Something the Air2s didnt do as it locked exposure (i can lock on the air3 as well but i had gotten better adjusting where i took my first pic for this on the air2s lol.

its something i have to work through so i should not be complaining but thats the only thing thats bothering me is auto pano feature related stuff.

That's why I'm waiting to see what they do with the Air 3S. The S series is always better without the bulk. In the mean time there are great buys in the Air 2S with a 1 inch sensor and 20mp. Dollar for dollar its going to get you the quality you need for your photography business and give you a return on your money. I think the air 3 is very good, but is it worth 1,000 more for a smaller sensor. And you already know that on internet pics you wont see a difference anyway.
i dont disagree with you on wantinig a air3s as i went from a air 2 to air2s to a air3. But is it really a 1k difference between the air2s and air3?

Also, im struggling to see a diffrence in the picture quality on the air2s vs 3 in my own experience... i only still notice a diffrence in a mavic 3 that i no longer have lol.

i dont disagree with you on wantinig a air3s as i went from a air 2 to air2s to a air3. But is it really a 1k difference between the air2s and air3?

Also, im struggling to see a diffrence in the picture quality on the air2s vs 3 in my own experience... i only still notice a diffrence in a mavic 3 that i no longer have lol.
A used air 2S with a controller is about $680 with a 6 month warranty. $799 new on sale. Air 3 is 1099. No SDK on the Air 3. I guess it depends on what's important to you. Lately I find that every time I look at the 3 series, I am giving something up, so I am waiting. I may be wrong.

A used air 2S with a controller is about $680 with a 6 month warranty. $799 new on sale. Air 3 is 1099. No SDK on the Air 3. I guess it depends on what's important to you. Lately I find that every time I look at the 3 series, I am giving something up, so I am waiting. I may be wrong. Right now I use the Air 2S and Mavic 2 Pro with smart controlller. I have the freedom of 3rd party apps. Hoping the Air 3S is the one. The Air 3 looks good but not enough reason to upgrade yet for me.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

I have both and use both (mainly still photography). I like both and they both produce great quality images. The Air 3 wins over the Air 2s in flight time.

Reactions: Desert Drone Works
I ended up getting an Air 3 with RC-2 controller. I'll end up selling my iPad mini 6 to recover some of the cost.
Couple things right off the bat was that they didn't include replacement controller sticks. And these sticks on the RC 2 are tiny screws. If any kit needed replacements it would be this one.
Nice bag, but I am going to purchase a fitted case and prop holder.
DJI sticks would cost me 17.00 - 9.00 plus shipping, I will have to find some from a different source.
Batteries could have been somewhat charged... but I got the drone registered and care refresh bought after about an hour of charging.
Firmware updated on both controller and drone.
Still on the fence about the quality of the camera, but I will find out tomorrow. Seems that I will be doing more panos with this. Not quite as wide as I am used to.
Would have been nice if they included a place to plug the controller into the battery charger.
That's my initial thoughts.

Nice bag, but I am going to purchase a fitted case and prop holder.
DJI sticks would cost me 17.00 - 9.00 plus shipping, I will have to find some from a different source.
I recommend the Hanatora adjustable sticks you can get from Amazon (make sure you dont get the ones for the RC Pro on accident). I find them to be an improvement over the original. It even comes with a little plastic case you can store the originals in. Re: bag, I like the YETEETH carrying case for a soft/travel bag and the Lykus MA310 for a hard case. Just my 2 cents... lots of options. Enjoy the Air 3, it's a solid bird. I believe it to be a little better than Air 2S (but been 2 years since i had mine), even with smaller sensor but your mileage may vary.

You can plug your RC controller or any device such as a smartphone on the charging hub to charge it.
Simply use a usb cable.

You can also use 2 discharged batteries to charge the 3rd one.

Be aware of batteries : you must update the firmware for all of them.
The process is easy : you replace a battery and restart drone update.

I have never lost any controller sticks - I have never bought such a kit.
In French, we say " Un homme averti en vaut deux". This means because you know you could lose one Rc2 stick, you will carefully mount/unmount them.
And if you lose one stick, you will still be able to control your drone while waiting for your replacement kit.
Simply try without sticks : it is quite easy !

Took it out today for its first flight. Ran 2 batteries ( long flights it seems )
12mp mode. wide pano in shot here.
I have come to the conclusion that DJI does a decent job with stitching. Maybe better than the Air2S
I ran 48mp mode for a little bit and came to the conclusion, after looking at shots at 100%, that 12mp mode is good with higher ISO in the dark and 48mp is good with ISO100. I also figured out that in the Air 3 filing system, DJI now puts different file numbers before the 0001 shot number, meaning I can delete or reformat card and not produce duplicate numbers. ( hopefully I explained that right ) All in all, I am pleased

DJI_20231208102706_0018_D.jpeg

Last edited:
I have both the Air 2S and Air 3 (just sold my Air 2) and I will say that I fly the 3 almost exclusively when I need a larger aircraft. I had added the RC to the 2S but the RC2 does offer much better signal strength on the 3. The things that I can't seem to live without now are 1) 3X tele camera, 2) cruise control, 3) waypoints, and 4) the unreal speed while ascending/descending. This last feature was a big surprise, i.e., I do stills 80% of the time and being able to get up there quickly and get down quickly has been a significant productivity boost. For video the cruise control has become so helpful that I replaced my Mini3Pro with the Mini4Pro for that feature alone. OK, the RC2 is much better for the same reasons mentioned above, but that was a bonus.

I believe it's a stacked sensor. I haven't seen much on this new tech. The next generation will tell if the public believes it. Sometimes it's better to wait to find out. I never went broke waiting to buy new tech. It always improves. I shoot micro 4/3 now on my newest cameras because it's just as good for the internet. Let's see what stacked sensors hold.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa