DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which Mavic 3 model to go from Mavic 2 Pro and smart controller?

lomposlapos

Reactions
Can someone please explain which of the many Mavic 3 models and remote controller should I get to replace my Mavic 2 Pro and the smart controller?

Photo/video quality, flight time, obstacle avoidance, size and weight, controller functions are all must be improved or at least not worse. (Price is not a factor as long as I do not pay for features that I'll never need.)

Mavic 3, classic, cine, enterprise, etc.... what are the differences? Is there a table that compares all Mavic 3 models and only shows the differences? Something like this:

Just my opinion here, but I think for photos and videos, you want the standard MAvic 3. Not the classic or Cine. The Cine gives you internal SSD storage and the proRes formats, if that’s something you need. They both have the adjustable aperture like the 2 pro.

You dont need to look at any of the enterprise ones unless you currently use your M2P it to do photo/survey missions. Although they did just release waypoints for the Mavic 3 i dont know if it has the same capabilities as the M2P had.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Just one other thing , check out, as best you can, the FLY app before you buy the drone, you may not like it.

Reactions: careless
I went with the Classic. My main focus is video for inclusion in documentaries. All of the footage must be the quality of the Hasselblad camera as it will be cut with footage from Black Magic Cinema cameras.

As per above, Enterprise if you're mapping or something similar.
Standard if you will use the zoom camera.
Cine if you want Prores. Personal note: I like the look of d-log much more than Prores and I don't use Final Cut Pro. I prefer having an sd card that I can remove from the drone for transfer to an sdd that I can't.

There's other minutia like locking gimble, bra vs joc strap, etc. if you want to look it up on the net or you can suffer through endless posts of mine is better than yours nany nany boo boo here.

I'm coming from a Mavic 2 Pro with standard controller and will be getting the Mavic 3 Classic with the RC remote which has the built in screen like the old Smart Controller. The second camera with the 160mm equivalent lens on the standard and cine 3's is not something I want or need so the Classic seems the best fit (to me) coming from the 2 Pro.

I'm coming from a Mavic 2 Pro with standard controller and will be getting the Mavic 3 Classic with the RC remote which has the built in screen like the old Smart Controller. The second camera with the 160mm equivalent lens on the standard and cine 3's is not something I want or need so the Classic seems the best fit (to me) coming from the 2 Pro.
There are multitudes of different circumstances where the 7x telephoto allows you to get the same view from 7x further away, where flying 7x closer would either be illegal, attract unwanted attention, or disturb your subject. Until you have used the 7x telephoto, you won't know what you are missing. I am amazed at the number of people who claim they have no want or need for a free 7x telephoto camera. The M3 is now available as a DJI Refurb from DJI on eBay for $1549, which is $50 cheaper than the comparable M3 Classic configuration with the RC-N1. Same 12 month DJI warranty and DJI Care is also available, if desired.
Add a DJI RC for $309 more, or the RC Pro for $1199 more.

Reactions: Dumeinao
Until you have used the 7x telephoto, you won't know what you are missing. I am amazed at the number of people who claim they have no want or need for a free 7x telephoto camera.
Maybe those that have no want or need for the 7X camera know something you don't?

And until you have put a 160mm or 250mm or 400mm lens on a camera with a 4/3rds or full frame sensor, and compared that, to what the M3's 7X camera produces, you won't understand what I am eluding to. Yes I have used (and seen) what a telephoto lens can do.

I've also seen many examples (video and photo), from the M3's 160mm equivalent-lensed camera with a 1/2 inch sensor and I gotta say . . .Meh. I simply would never use it. Not for a commercial shoot, and not even just for fun to stare out at a distant skyline. I don't do inspections or any number of things where the X7 might suffice. But if that's your thing, then go for it.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
Maybe those that have no want or need for the 7X camera know something you don't?

And until you have put a 160mm or 250mm or 400mm lens on a camera with a 4/3rds or full frame sensor, and compared that, to what the M3's 7X camera produces, you won't understand what I am eluding to. Yes I have used (and seen) what a telephoto lens can do.

I've also seen many examples (video and photo), from the M3's 160mm equivalent-lensed camera with a 1/2 inch sensor and I gotta say . . .Meh. I simply would never use it. Not for a commercial shoot, and not even just for fun to stare out at a distant skyline. I don't do inspections or any number of things where the X7 might suffice. But if that's your thing, then go for it.
Again, you have never used the 7x telephoto on the Mavic 3 to know what you are missing. It's all these armchair critics that have all these well formed opinions about a lens they have never personally used that try and rationalize why they are paying more to get less! If nothing else, even if you never ever use it, the 7x telephoto will substantially increase the resale value for your drone among all the other Mavic 3 owners who do appreciate the difference of having the choice to use it! Why pay more to get less? $1549 for a Mavic 3 Refurb and $1599 for a Mavic 3 Classic. You choose!

Ok. After my own research and discussions with others, I am leaning for, as the best upgrade from M2Pro:

Mavic 3, CP.MA.00000439.01 $2,050
RC Pro Remote, CP.MA.00000406.02 $1,200

This config,
would not have the Apple ProRes, 1TB internal drive (vs. M3 Cine)
would have the zoom lens (vs M3 Classic)

I am missing anything else important in comparing M3 models and the best controller?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Again, you have never used the 7x telephoto on the Mavic 3 to know what you are missing. It's all these armchair critics that have all these well formed opinions about a lens they have never personally used that try and rationalize why they are paying more to get less! If nothing else, even if you never ever use it, the 7x telephoto will substantially increase the resale value for your drone among all the other Mavic 3 owners who do appreciate the difference of having the choice to use it! Why pay more to get less? $1549 for a Mavic 3 Refurb and $1599 for a Mavic 3 Classic. You choose!

Umgawa Ganunga!!! Sell that camera!! Intense dude.

That’s new vs refurb and the price quoted looks like drone only vs the basic kit with RC-N1. Once refurb Mavic Classic is available you can compare the two for price.

I have a question with the word refurbished so $1549 for a Refurb Mavic 3 with 7x zoom...What was the drone in the beginning before this refurbish took place ? Does this modification deteriorate the durability, functioning of all the drones capabilities and programs and how about the longevity of this modified drone ? Thank you

I have a question with the word refurbished so $1549 for a Refurb Mavic 3 with 7x zoom...What was the drone in the beginning before this refurbish took place ? Does this modification deteriorate the durability, functioning of all the drones capabilities and programs and how about the longevity of this modified drone ? Thank you
Many believe that a refurbished drone has a higher chance of good quality than a new drone as it would be fully inspected whereby a new drone may or may not be spot checked coming off the line. I don't know. DJI has not yet invited me to audit their manufacturing and refurbishing process. DJI does not give the purchaser of a refurbished drone the history of the drone. Carfax doesn't cover drones yet either.

Some very good and valid advice from your fellow pilots...

I currently have a P4P that does a lot of mapping work. I also have a Mavic 3 Standard that I use for roof inspections (stable; long battery life; incredible camera). One question though... since you are starting with the Mavic 2 Pro I have to ask if you are a 107 pilot also doing mapping work? If so you might want to wait on the Mavic 3 Enterprise which will be perfect for that kind of work. My P4P is getting old (and tired) and I plan to replace it with the Mavic 3E. Hope I haven't thrown a wrench into the gears... Good luck.

Can someone please explain which of the many Mavic 3 models and remote controller should I get to replace my Mavic 2 Pro and the smart controller?

Photo/video quality, flight time, obstacle avoidance, size and weight, controller functions are all must be improved or at least not worse. (Price is not a factor as long as I do not pay for features that I'll never need.)

Mavic 3, classic, cine, enterprise, etc.... what are the differences? Is there a table that compares all Mavic 3 models and only shows the differences? Something like this:
The claimed flight time increase is a plus.I believe the 3 may have side obstacle avoidance at other than the 2's in tripod mode.It's somewhat heavier and larger(maybe somewhat better stability?)As for photo/video quality you need to assess that considering how your end results will be displayed or viewed.

Here's my take on it all.

If I was making my choice now, I would still go with the Mavic 3 and here in Canada there is no option to get the refurbished Mavic 3 from DJI or an approved reseller. Why? Because it provides options and creative potential everytime I am up in the air. To me the price differential is worth it. I often don't think people understand importance of having TWO cameras on one drone. I find the 7X optical Tele lens very useful and even though I don't often use images from the digital zoom, I find it very useful for exploring.

In a way the same sort of complaints have happened with the Mini 3 Pro vertical shooting mode - many people have complained about its usefulness but here again it provides options and creative potential that didn't exist before.

With regard to the Smart controller, I am not sure if the OP is referring to the new DJI RC with built in screen or the RC Pro. Here again there are options. I have the RC Pro and although it is expensive, I love mine. It is fast, bright and has the ability to load additional apps which the lower end DJI RC doesn't have. In addition many people who have the lower end RC seem to have to buy a screen shade to help with seeing the screen in bright conditions.

Regardless, good luck with your decision whatever it may be.

Chris

Reactions: GadgetGuy
FacePsmall.jpg Armchair critic? 🤔

But this doesn't mean I couldn't observe countless threads with hundreds of examples of photos and video over almost a year now, to come to MY conclusion. Correct? As I said, I have plenty of time behind cameras looking through lenses of equal or greater length, should I not use that experience to guide me? Well my conclusion is that the 7X is something of a gimmick - it is neither the primary payload/tool of the M3 or the sole purpose to upgrade to the M3.

The 7X zoom camera on theM3 (in my opinion), is somewhat gimmicky. And if you do a quick search, you'll find countless M3 owners (not armchair critics) on this very forum who have, or are, coming to the same conclusion.

As I said: there may be those who find the quality and images from the 7X lens as beneficial or quite useful, and I get that. But I am buying the M3 Classic sans the 7X because I know precisely what I will (and most importantly) - will not, be doing with it.

I don't care if DJI has versions of the M3 that come with bottle openers, screwdrivers, air compressors or 3D printers onboard, AND a handy-dandy-7X micro lens in front of a tiny 1/2 inch sensor - and threw it all in for FREE - I don't want it on my ship! Refurbished or not.

Here is an example (not mine of course) of an M3's 7X zoom at 100% - that I cropped to fit here. This is just one example of many like it. If you were a working photographer - made your living as such - would you deliver this kind of content to a paying client - simple because you could?

7XZoom1.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin