DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which Mavic would you take on a trip...

MichiganMavic

Reactions
I’ve had my Mavic Pro since it came out and am pretty comfortable flying it. I just ordered the new Mavic Pro 2 and it’ll be here tomorrow...
I’m leaving on trip to Maui in 6 Days.
My question for you guys is, would you take the Mavic you’ve been using, or take the new MP2 and learn it on the trip? Is it that much different that it’ll be like a different machine all together? I’ll probably be able to set it up a few days here at home to make sure it’s all good, but with updates and the learning curve for the new bird...
What would you do?

I was leaning towards the old MP, but didn’t want to miss out on the use of the new camera.
So you think it’ll take more than a few days to learn all the things on the new one eh?

So you think it’ll take more than a few days to learn all the things on the new one eh?

Not really, its just a Mavic on steroids, but if I was going on vacation, I would take the drone that I trust more than any other ones. A new drone, and lots of ocean, would just give me the willies.

On the other hand, if you have Refresh and State Farm, what could go wrong? (Napoleons famous last words before entering the Battle of Waterloo)

You’re probably right Rob. On the plus side, I have extra batteries for the MP, and not for the new one.
I was just excited about having that much more clarity on the camera in such a beautiful place.

Reactions: Former Member
You’re probably right Rob. On the plus side, I have extra batteries for the MP, and not for the new one.
I was just excited about having that much more clarity on the camera in such a beautiful place.

Do you do alot of post processing? Depending on your abilities, you can make a good Mavic Pro shot look as good as a Mavic 2 Pro shot.

Nope. Don’t know anything about editing videos or pics. I’ll be digging into that soon though. I just bought the new MacBook Pro a few months back and I hear that you can do alot with that.

Youve got some nice equipment. M2P and MacBook Pro.

Which islands are you going to? Just Maui? Been there before? Maui is my favorite island. I went there on my belated honeymoon.

Take both but I have to say I loved my original Mavic , till I got the Mavic 2 Pro ( haven't flown my original Mavic in a month ) The Mavic 2 Pro flies with the smoothness of my Inspire 1 but obviously in a much smaller package in my opinion there wasn't much more of a learning curve from the original to the new MAVIC 2 Pro yes it has more features but the basics you need to video and take pictures (20 megapixel) are the same as the original the one . One thing I have noticed is the pics/video from the Mav 2 (more natural looking) can use more post production but the sharpness and detail can't be compared as the 2 is much better . I do miss the Vivid color settings from the original Mavic all that being said I'd take the Mavic 2 once you fly it you'll never go back the range alone is amazing compared to the original more than double for me and obviously the camera is far better if you can I'd take it I've been to Hawaii and with that beautiful scenery I'd definitely have my Mavic 2 pro for those shots...

Take both but I have to say I loved my original Mavic , till I got the Mavic 2 Pro ( haven't flown my original Mavic in a month ) The Mavic 2 Pro flies with the smoothness of my Inspire 1 but obviously in a much smaller package in my opinion there wasn't much more of a learning curve from the original to the new MAVIC 2 Pro yes it has more features but the basics you need to video and take pictures (20 megapixel) are the same as the original the one . One thing I have noticed is the pics/video from the Mav 2 (more natural looking) can use more post production but the sharpness and detail can't be compared as the 2 is much better . I do miss the Vivid color settings from the original Mavic all that being said I'd take the Mavic 2 once you fly it you'll never go back the range alone is amazing compared to the original more than double for me and obviously the camera is far better if you can I'd take it I've been to Hawaii and with that beautiful scenery I'd definitely have my Mavic 2 pro for those shots...

I wouldnt take my new drone on a first flight trip. Thats just me. I always goes with what has worked before. Plus he has just 1 battery.

I was leaning towards the old MP, but didn’t want to miss out on the use of the new camera.

For what it’s worth, I agree with Thunderdrones. Admittedly the M2P has got a better camera but how much do you want to risk seeing something going wrong in better resolution? Take care, have a great holiday and looking forward to seeing your photos etc. Peter.

I appreciate everyone’s recommendations here and am going to listen and take ‘ol trusty. Sometimes you just gotta hear someone else say it. None of my local friends are flyers, so I thought I’d ask my Forum friends [emoji106].

WOW! That’s how I would describe the MP2...
The colors and clarity of the camera is unbelievable. Haven’t been able to distinguish (between 1 and 2) too much about the bird itself, but man, the camera is awesome!!
I had a hard time setting up the new drone because of my older DJi4 app, but I downloaded the newest one and used my XS phone instead. I didn’t want to affect my older MP and Mini4 because they work well together as-is.
Can’t wait to get back and learn more about the MP2 [emoji6].

Now the clock is ticking down for Refresh or not... [emoji848]

Reactions: go fast
Told you but you definitely need at least a couple batteries so that settles that . Enjoy your trip and get some good footage , but once you start flying the Mavic 2 you'll never look back...

Last edited:
I take both, but if I was only traveling with one it would be the M2P for sure. I have 1840 miles in 351 flights on one of my M2Ps now and it's been 100% reliable.

Reactions: go fast

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1