DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which one is the best vr goggles fpv app!!

Lsv

Reactions
Hi I'd like to purchase a vr fpv app to use with vr box goggles. But I don't which one? Have heard/read a lot but i can't choose.

As far as dual-eye FPV apps, I think Litchi is your only option so far. When in goggles mode, it presents as a plain Google Cardboard compliant app with minimal distracting information below the view.

Reactions: Ebruce
As far as dual-eye FPV apps, I think Litchi is your only option so far. When in goggles mode, it presents as a plain Google Cardboard compliant app with minimal distracting information below the view.

Thx a lot bro!

Worth to check FPV Camera app.

IMG_0941_720.jpg

I use FPV camera. Have Litchi too but I prefer FVP camera for goggle flying. Tons of fun, especially in Sport mode!

Reactions: nesstimo
Why do you prefer FPV Camera over Litchi? Thanks

Just personal preference. When I started using googles a few years back Litchi didn't have a goggle option for iPhone, only android. So I'd use Litchi for programmed flights and it did great with that. But FPV Camera was really the only iOS option at the time for goggles. And it worked great for that. But you may love Litchi for goggle use. If you do some googling on goggle use with Litchi and find that people aren't having issues with it, it'll probably just boil down to personal preference.

I'll try to get some time in this weekend using both to see if I can give you some better feedback between the two.

Reactions: SurfinKidd
OK, I'm in doubt. Litchi can do it all. But it's not working very well with the new update. 3d fpv is nothing more than a fpv app (no waypoints), BUT can make out of 2D into 3D images. Are these 3d images worth the app? Is it any good? Or can I just go for litchi?

OK, I'm in doubt. Litchi can do it all. But it's not working very well with the new update. 3d fpv is nothing more than a fpv app (no waypoints), BUT can make out of 2D into 3D images. Are these 3d images worth the app? Is it any good? Or can I just go for litchi?
3d fpv looks not very reliable in Play store and also seems to miss a homing indicator/compass. Litchi is sa safer choice.

Reactions: Edjes
If you are using the Mavic, litchi is you only choice as the mavic will not run on any other fpv software at the moment for fpv.
Actually I'll take that back. Just got FPV Flight working on Android and the Mavic and it has see through and magnification funtion as well as aeroplane direction indicator and you can swap from drone camera view to phone camera view so you can see whats in front and around you without removing googles. Works well and has duel windows and a HUD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edjes
If you are using the Mavic, litchi is you only choice as the mavic will not run on any other fpv software at the moment for fpv.
That's not true. FPV Camera app is 100% compatible with Mavic in all flight modes and all firmware versions, including the latest firmware v1.03.0500. Other apps might have compatibility issues with the latest firmware.

Reactions: sacballa and Edjes
Actually I'll take that back. Just got FPV Flight working on Android and the Mavic and it has see through and magnification funtion as well as aeroplane direction indicator and you can swap from drone camera view to phone camera view so you can see whats in front and around you without removing googles. Works well and has duel windows and a HUD.

Not correct!

There are at least four Apps for doing FPV with Mavic; Litchi, DroneVR, 3D FPV and FPV Camera. I have tried them all extensively, and FPV Camera is the best.

Allows adjusting the image to your goggles, and the information on the screen really helps.

Using the head tracking to control the Gimbal is really useful for filming having full control.

It also gives access to the phone's cam for LOS.

It is a great App IMHO.

Reactions: PV Flyer
Also with Litchi you can flick back from VR mode to main screen mode with a back button on TX if you set this up.
By going back to main screen you can see full telemetry and any warnings i.e. wind etc.

IHMO der isn't really a good option so far. Personally I fly with Litchis VR mode. It works - well - ok so far, but there are several issues which can really hurt the experience. For some of them you could only blame DJI oder Google itself:

- Choppy framerate, regardless of current signal strength and settings:
It just seems not possible to get a steady framerate in video preview. Just take the drone in your hand and make a slow camera pan at full signal strength (doesn't matter if you use VR mode or not). Even then, the video preview is very unsteady, looks like a severe V-Sync issue with Android for me. It's definitely not related to the processing power of the device.

- Limited tracking
Although the gimbal should be able to rotate to left/right, this is not supported by Litchi. It's only possible to rotate the whole drone but even that is currently forbidden due to DJIs buggy firmware.

- Strange gimbal problems:
For some reason unknown, the gimbal of the Mavic goes crazy from time to time, tiling up- and downwards without any input related to head-tracking. After about 10 seconds this stops by it self. That issue even persists with Firmware Version .550.

- Low field-of-view (FOV)
The camera of the Mavic has a significantly lower FOV then the one of the Phantom , making it very hard to orient yourself in areas with some obstacles to the left or right

- No obstacle detection to left-/right-/back- and upside. As you can't see your drone and your environment you are in constant danger to collide with trees or other objects. It's really important to check out the whole surrounding and avoiding flying backwards, upwards or sideways when possible as there is a really high change to crashing your drone sooner than you think.

- High latency (about 200 ms at 720p, even more at 1080p): Again, this might be an issue with Android and/or Triple Buffering but it really doesn't feel responsive right now.

I'd really wish, DJI could solve a few of this problems and could finally integrate a descent VR mode in DJI Go.

Last edited:
IHMO der isn't really a good option so far. Personally I fly with Litchis VR mode. It works - well - ok so far, but there are more than one problem which can really hurt the experience. For some of them you could only blame DJI oder Google itself:

It just seems not possible to get a steady framerate in video preview. Just take the drone in your hand and make a slow camera pan at full signal strength (doesn't matter if you use VR mode or not). Even then, the video preview is very unsteady, looks like a severe V-Sync issue with Android for me. It's definitely not related to the processing power of the device.

- Limited tracking
Although the gimbal should be able to rotate to left/right, this is not supported by Litchi. It's only possible to rotate the whole drone but even that is currently forbidden due to DJIs buggy firmware.

For some reason unknown, the gimbal of the Mavic goes crazy from time to time, tiling up- and downwards without any input related to head-tracking. After about 10 seconds this stops by it self. That issue even persists with Firmware Version .550.

The camera of the mavic has a significantly lower FOV then the one of the mavic, making it very hard to orient yourself in areas with some obstacles to the left or right

- No obstacle detection to left-/right-/back- and upside. As you can't see your drone and your environment you are in constant danger to collide with trees or other objects. It's really important to check out the whole surrounding and avoiding flying backwards, upwards or sideways when possible as there is a really high change to crashing your drone sooner than you think.

- High latency (about 200 ms at 720p, even more at 1080p):
Again, this might be an issue with Android and/or Triple Buffering but it really doesn't feel response right now.

I'd really wish, DJI could solve a few of this problems and could finally integrate a descent VR mode in DJI Go.

Litchi would be my third choice for FPVing with Mavic.

The info you get on the screen with FPVCamera and DroneVR helps a lot.

In my case, measured with my iPhone 6S+, latency is 110mseg, not bad at all.

Reactions: s2seyecle
IHMO der isn't really a good option so far. Personally I fly with Litchis VR mode. It works - well - ok so far, but there are several which can really hurt the experience. For some of them you could only blame DJI oder Google itself:

- Limited tracking

The camera of the Mavic has a significantly lower FOV then the one of the Phantom , making it very hard to orient yourself in areas with some obstacles to the left or right

- High latency (about 200 ms at 720p, even more at 1080p): Again, this might be an issue with Android and/or Triple Buffering but it really doesn't feel responsive right now.

Also, I found that during VR Immersive mode, the bird don't hover when I let go of all the RC sticks! It keeps going, so I have to counter stick to stop the bird!

Any suggestion?

Also, I found that during VR Immersive mode, the bird don't hover when I let go of all the RC sticks! It keeps going, so I have to counter stick to stop the bird!

Any suggestion?

Looks like you used Joystick or Immersive Mode and tilted your phone to the ground.

That's not true. FPV Camera app is 100% compatible with Mavic in all flight modes and all firmware versions, including the latest firmware v1.03.0500. Other apps might have compatibility issues with the latest firmware.
But FPV Camera is iOS only apps should be compatible with both iOS and Android. Not everyone is fruit.

Looks like you used Joystick or Immersive Mode and tilted your phone to the ground.

This is interesting. I do use Joystick or Immersive Mode, but I can't remember did I titled the phone to the ground when I notice the massive delay of the RC' stick reaction.

So do you mean, whenever I use my phone to tilt the gimble to the ground, the reaction time for the RC's sticks will be slow and won't hover when I let go the RC's sticks?

Can you explain more in detail?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky