DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which would you rather have, CrystalSky or DJI Goggles?

horizontal

Reactions
Now that prices have been announced and it appearing likely that the CrystalSky monitor may be compatible with the Mavic Pro (whether it needs a separate mount to fit is still up in the air), which would you rather have?

Some will opt for both as they have different functions, but if you have a budget for one or the other, tell us your preference.

I would take the crystal sky but I think the price is pretty steep. I would like to know if the screen is as bright as they claim it is in direct sunlight. One of my biggest complaints with my setup now is screen glare. I have a sunshield that only works marginally and I crank up my brightness all the way on my ipad.

Reactions: avanti1963
Crystalsky all the way. The large one in extra bright please, thank you. I've already signed up to be notified when it's available. The goggles are definitely cool but I like being able to look at the Mavic and the surrounding skies constantly. I'm sure the goggles will be a lot of fun for a lot of people but for me, a dedicated screen that is 100% compatible with the other two devices make it win win win.
Rob

I have a lot of stick time using fatshark goggles on racing quads. Ive only used a monitor (my humble Samsung On5) recently beginning when i bought the Mavic.

For me for this type of quad and what i use it for (strictly photography and no high speed flying) I prefer the monitor approach. With the goggles its more immersive of course but you lose LOS abilities for critical times when when taking off and returning to home. This is probably only a concern in areas with a lot of trees or obstacles.

I guess with the goggles you could still use your phone so maybe thats not an issue if you take off/land LOS. Even then I'd still prefer the monitor for the type of stuff i do with the mavic.

I have a lot of stick time using fatshark goggles on racing quads. Ive only used a monitor (my humble Samsung On5) recently beginning when i bought the Mavic.

For me for this type of quad and what i use it for (strictly photography and no high speed flying) I prefer the monitor approach. With the goggles its more immersive of course but you lose LOS abilities for critical times when when taking off and returning to home. This is probably only a concern in areas with a lot of trees or obstacles.

I guess with the goggles you could still use your phone so maybe thats not an issue if you take off/land LOS. Even then I'd still prefer the monitor for the type of stuff i do with the mavic.
Your phone is still receiving a video feed and the goggles fold up on your head so you can eye the drone during takeoff and landing and during flight, you can fold them over your eyes. So it's not really that inconvenient.

Both have a lot of pluses and minuse. I went for the goggles but I know they are going to be awkward to use in public and they will be obsolete the moment DJI released something half the size. With that said crystalsky is a one trick pony unless you root it. That's a lot of money to spend just for a dedicated Mavic screen.

Rob

Good question. Probably goggles for me since my iPad with sunscreen remains nice and bright and I have a few 3rd party apps I like to use. I wouldn't use the goggles much but it would be an additional piece of kit!

Reactions: Mr G and emilford
Wonder if the DJI goggles will have fogging issues like I had with my fatsharks before i added the fan attachment.

Another thing to consider is the vulnerability you have when you have goggles on. People will just roll up on you out of nowhere!

Reactions: SeaFox
Personally, I view the Googles more as a co-pilot type of addition. They'd be great for someone to sit in the co-pilot position as the pilot is in control. I'm plenty happy with the iPad mini and see no use for the CrystalSky... for me anyhow.

I see that B&H Photo is showing the different versions of the Crystalsky (pre order only, don't get too excited). The bad part is, they only show an adapter to attach any of the monitors to a Phantom controller and nothing else for the Mavic.

Really makes me wonder. Will it actually be for us too? I've read the rubber grips in the Mavic controller arms come out to allow phones and tabs with cases so maybe that's how it's going to be mounted. Of course I think most of us would prefer that to maintain the portability aspect. I think however, it may force us to buy the smaller version that is only half as bright as the 2x as bright larger version. Bummer.

On the up side of all of this, because it's still a silver lining in an otherwise dark cloud for me, I'll only be paying half as much and still have a better device than my current one. I hope.

Most of that is all speculation on my part about the compatibility/mounting aspect. Maybe DJI just doesn't have the Mavic adapter ready for sites like B&H to show. I doubt it thought.

Rob

Goggles. Never felt my Mate 8 I use to fly the Mavic was lacking in any way to warrant an expensive monitor I can't do anything else than fly DJI aircraft with.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll