DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which would you rather have, CrystalSky or DJI Goggles?

I see that B&H Photo is showing the different versions of the Crystalsky (pre order only, don't get too excited). The bad part is, they only show an adapter to attach any of the monitors to a Phantom controller and nothing else for the Mavic.

Really makes me wonder. Will it actually be for us too? I've read the rubber grips in the Mavic controller arms come out to allow phones and tabs with cases so maybe that's how it's going to be mounted. Of course I think most of us would prefer that to maintain the portability aspect. I think however, it may force us to buy the smaller version that is only half as bright as the 2x as bright larger version. Bummer.

On the up side of all of this, because it's still a silver lining in an otherwise dark cloud for me, I'll only be paying half as much and still have a better device than my current one. I hope.

Most of that is all speculation on my part about the compatibility/mounting aspect. Maybe DJI just doesn't have the Mavic adapter ready for sites like B&H to show. I doubt it thought.

Rob

Ha Rob,
I have a sneaking suspicion that the confusion about CrystalSky compatibility with Mavic pro lies in this fact: from a software point of view, it is probably compatible, but DJI haven't found a hardware mount to the Mavic Pro's controller yet, hence the ambiguity.

For me, as I am doubting between the CrystalSky and an iPad mini, the problems are the same: I love the ergonomics of the Mavic's controller when I use it with a phone, rather than spread widely like with a tablet. So in either case (iPad mini or CrystalSky), I think I would create a plate with the dimensions of my phone (Nexus 5x), and have the iPad or the Crystal Sky mounted parallel to that plate, just a couple of cm above the plate so it doesn't interfere with my hands on the joysticks.
-Joost-

Reactions: RobP62
at that price nothing [emoji32][emoji32] but if I could then probably crystsky, not sure i'll be able to enjoy the goggles

Nothing can be as immersive as goggles, and from the reviewers the image quality of these goggles is great. The legal use aspect is a PITA for piloting. OTOH, when I take people out to see the drone they find it immensely boring - with the goggles, they will not be bored - esp. if they are controlling the camera.

I have ordered the Goggles and look forward to using them with both the P4P and MP.

Reactions: ddimkin and Robbyg
As I already have a tablet, I'm going for the goggles...

Reactions: ddimkin
DJI reps on RCG said that they would indeed be locked down to DJI apps, so that means not even Litchi or other 3rd party SDK-based apps either - if correct that would really bring the value down.

Howdy RobP62, a Mate 8 is a phone made by hwauili (sp).

Thanks, thought maybe you had an inside track to the new i8........ LOL
I tell ya, even my friend with his new Galaxy S8+ is having troubles. DJI's standard response..... Contact Samsung, use a supported device. Such a shame. He printed a iPad holder to use. I am trying to hold out for the Crystalsky. I would hate to have to buy a iPad since I already have a Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2". I could reset that, wipe all the apps off and install the early version off DJI Go 4 but that thing is a beast.

I really hope we don't have to wait for the Crystalsky long.
Rob

Neither. Not at that price.

All I want is:
- A good sun shade for my iPad Mini
- Some method of hooking up a second tablet/phone for other people.

Then put the money in the bank to save up for Mavic 2. You know, the one with the better camera, 360 obstacle avoidance, self clamping guimball.........

Last edited:
Actuality - I'd love to try the goggles for the experience. But I wouldn't want them for the Mavic as I'd loose the portability and it's illegal to pilot with them anyway.

As for the CrystalSky - my biggest problem is screen glare so on paper I should go for it. But again there is the loss of portability. But the killer is loss of the use of 3rd party apps. I can't loose Litch & Hangar.

Shame, I was looking forward to spending even more money on this dam hobby:-(

Neither. Not at that price.

All I want is:
- A good sun shade for my iPad Mini
- Some method of hooking up a second tablet/phone for other people.

Then put the money in the bank to save up for Mavic 2. You know, the one with the better camera, 360 obstacle avoidance, self clamping guimball.........

Hi, Owen. Below is a link to a good sunshade for your IPad Mini. It works, it fits, and it folds flat. I fit both the sunshade and the Mini in the front pocket of my Mavic Shoulder Bag (it sticks up above the zipper, so you can't close it, but it does fit inside).

BTW, I am also waiting for the Mavic 2, or whatever.
Hooshion Remote Controller Phone Monitor Sun hood Sunshade Cover Hood Smartphone Tablet iPad Sun Shade for DJI MAVIC PRO Inspire / PHANTOM 3 4 M600 OSMO Accessories (7.9 inch, Black)

Reactions: jerryflah
I see that B&H Photo is showing the different versions of the Crystalsky (pre order only, don't get too excited). The bad part is, they only show an adapter to attach any of the monitors to a Phantom controller and nothing else for the Mavic.

Really makes me wonder. Will it actually be for us too? I've read the rubber grips in the Mavic controller arms come out to allow phones and tabs with cases so maybe that's how it's going to be mounted. Of course I think most of us would prefer that to maintain the portability aspect. I think however, it may force us to buy the smaller version that is only half as bright as the 2x as bright larger version. Bummer.

On the up side of all of this, because it's still a silver lining in an otherwise dark cloud for me, I'll only be paying half as much and still have a better device than my current one. I hope.

Most of that is all speculation on my part about the compatibility/mounting aspect. Maybe DJI just doesn't have the Mavic adapter ready for sites like B&H to show. I doubt it thought.

Rob
I don't know exactly where I saw it, but it was from DJI and they said that they DO have a Mavic mounting adapter coming soon for the CrystalSky monitors. They already have the adapter for the other transmitters. Obviously it would need to be smaller for the Mavic controller. Even if they didn't come out with the mounting adapter right away, it would be a simple matter to create your own temporarily, since it has a standard 1/4-20 tripod socket on the bottom. I am with you on CrystalSky over the goggles. Anyone who sees no benefit with the CrystalSky over any iPad or other smart device, clearly does not live in a snowy environment, or a place where the sun shines brightly or maybe they only fly at night.

Reactions: RobP62
Not even close..... The goggles all the way. I fly my mavic with my fatshark HD3 and it's a more immersive experience and if you fly LR it's a must. I feel that i have more control over the quad. I tried to fly with a tablet when i got my inspire but i couldn't tell how close i was to objects so i got some headplays and it change my flying. Just saying in my opinion the goggles.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne