DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which would you rather have, CrystalSky or DJI Goggles?

Well, there will most definitely be aftermarket options for some sort of mounting plate or bracket I am sure. Look at what tablets spawned already.

But out of curiosity, I measured the opening in the arms of the Mavic controller. If you remove the rubber, gripper inserts (and they do come out), using my caliper (a cheapo job), it came up to nearly 17mm. These are the specs for the smaller unit (see below why I used those): 153.76*84.94*19mm, so I am guessing once the grippy insert things are removed you can squeeze 19mm into a 17mm space.

I could be totally wrong though.

I do know that there are footnotes on the DJI site that say only the smaller version will be compatible with the Mavic:

upload_2017-5-18_13-30-16.png

And who's to say you won't be able to just add velcro to the face of the arms and then on back of the larger display? I would go for that. It will still fold up and be portable.

On the plus side, being forced to use the smaller display just saved me 450 bucks. Although, I have no idea how much the spare, larger batt will be yet. With my luck, $450 bucks! LOL
Rob

Reactions: Mike357
Hold the Presses! I just looked at the size specs of the larger version on the DJI website!!!!!!!

208.6*147.8*17mm

Could it be they goofed and have the width of the two different size transposed?! That would be way cool if so!!!!!!!

Having FatSharks already, the DJI goggles don't have the novelty for me. Plus, as already mentioned by others, I like to keep visual of my mavic, using the live video feed mostly for framing my footage. The Mavic is definitely nimble, but for the FPV experience I'll pull out the racers.

Having FatSharks already, the DJI goggles don't have the novelty for me. Plus, as already mentioned by others, I like to keep visual of my mavic, using the live video feed mostly for framing my footage. The Mavic is definitely nimble, but for the FPV experience I'll pull out the racers.
Are you running the FatSharks off an Nvidia Shield? If so what version of FatShark?

Now that prices have been announced and it appearing likely that the CrystalSky monitor may be compatible with the Mavic Pro (whether it needs a separate mount to fit is still up in the air), which would you rather have?

Some will opt for both as they have different functions, but if you have a budget for one or the other, tell us your preference.
I ordered the googles because they block any glare and easier on the eyes.

Reactions: ddimkin
For Mavic owners, definitely the Goggles. Any other DJI drone owners, CrystalSky...and get Goggles later if the wife leaves a little room on the credit card after one of her shopping sprees :cool:

Now that prices have been announced and it appearing likely that the CrystalSky monitor may be compatible with the Mavic Pro (whether it needs a separate mount to fit is still up in the air), which would you rather have?

OK, here's the solution. You get a CrystalSky, then buy $10 VR goggles for smartphones. You insert the CrystalSky and there you have it. Monitor and goggles.

I need a display I can see outdoors so I can use all the features. I wear progressive glasses and the Goggles are not ready for those of us with glasses.

right now I'm using an S7 and ready to buy anything that is designed for outdoors.

Reactions: RobP62
I need a display I can see outdoors so I can use all the features. I wear progressive glasses and the Goggles are not ready for those of us with glasses.

right now I'm using an S7 and ready to buy anything that is designed for outdoors.
What are you talking about? I wear glasses and I see just fine. No issues with the Goggles.

My Goggles are on their way to me.. but didn't know about the BT300 until now.. I might have considered ordering them...
Bought a Nexus 7 2.Gen and it works awesome..
Goggles + Nexus (or even just my mobile) will be a fantastic combo.
As many mentioned before I am also sure the Goggles will improve my distance estimation immensely.. and then the gimbal control.. that will be a whole lot of fun :)

Wonder if the DJI goggles will have fogging issues like I had with my fatsharks before i added the fan attachment.

Another thing to consider is the vulnerability you have when you have goggles on. People will just roll up on you out of nowhere!

Would be pretty cool to rig up some type of an extension cable to set up the Mavic's remote controller's antennas on the outside of your house or whatever so no signal loss while using the goggles safely inside your home, etc. Of course I'd want someone spotting it for me probably which would suck for them, unless maybe taking turns controlling it. :)

Personally, I view the Googles more as a co-pilot type of addition. They'd be great for someone to sit in the co-pilot position as the pilot is in control. I'm plenty happy with the iPad mini and see no use for the CrystalSky... for me anyhow.

I'd be interested in a CrystalSky if:
The price was no more than an Android Tablet.
The screen brightness lives up to all the hype.
Right now I am using a $60 refurb Acer Iconia which works good on v4.0.7 (but not at all on v4.1.0 for some reason). Hard for me to justify spending that much money on a dedicated screen. There are aftermarket goggles but watch the screen resolution, some are really horrible. I think the fatsharks someone mentioned looked good.

Reactions: BluesDragon
Ha Rob,
I have a sneaking suspicion that the confusion about CrystalSky compatibility with Mavic pro lies in this fact: from a software point of view, it is probably compatible, but DJI haven't found a hardware mount to the Mavic Pro's controller yet, hence the ambiguity.

For me, as I am doubting between the CrystalSky and an iPad mini, the problems are the same: I love the ergonomics of the Mavic's controller when I use it with a phone, rather than spread widely like with a tablet. So in either case (iPad mini or CrystalSky), I think I would create a plate with the dimensions of my phone (Nexus 5x), and have the iPad or the Crystal Sky mounted parallel to that plate, just a couple of cm above the plate so it doesn't interfere with my hands on the joysticks.
-Joost-

Just buy this thing, can handle up to a 10" tablet. I use it for my 8" tablet, works nicely. Someone even makes a more expensive fancy aluminum framed one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000