Get more from your Mavic
Friendly, Helpful, Knowledgeable Mavic Community
Join Us Now

White glow round Mavic Air shadow

Geoff_C

Reactions
While circling round a flag at our golf club I noticed a white glow round the shadow of my new Mavic Air. It's quite feint but definitely there and I can't see any other issues with the overall video quality. Can anyone explain why this is happening please?

Cymruflyer

Reactions
It is a standard effect when the sun is at your back and you see the shadow of your aircraft in front of you. I am also a real pilot and often see this with a beautiful rainbow halo around my aircraft shadow, when I am flying near a cloud and the sun is at my back or off to the rear side. It is a truly beautiful sight when you are up in the sky and see yourself as a shadow with a rainbow around it, on a cloud.

You can also see it as a bright area around your shadow on the ground, when viewed from the air. The shadow of your aircraft is called a brocken spectre. The ring of light around that shadow is called a glory. There is also a beautiful optical phenomenon called an anti-corona or pilot's bow, but usually know as the Glory. It is due to the sun shining through air that is ladened with water droplets.

Last edited:
Reactions: AgPhotoWings

Geoff_C

Reactions
Thanks for your fascinating explanation. Now you mention it, I used to do a lot of aerial photography when I was a news photographer and I can now remember the same effect round the aircraft shadow. It's amazing that the same effect happens when the drone is only about 15 feet from the ground.

Jayfdee

Reactions
Often seen as a" Brocken Spectre", here in UK when climbing mountains and you rise above the clouds.