DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who are you ?

Which category fits you.

• I am a RECREATIONAL Drone Pilot-flyer

• I am a Commercial Drone Pilot ( part 107 )

• I am a Recreational Pilot, but got the Part 107 just to be cool, and to do extra stuff.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I fly because I like photography and video. Most of my flights are just for exploring the world around me and a lot of the time I don’t even take any pictures. Currently in the process of getting my part 107 so I can get paid.

Reactions: Jam0ne and kalimah
Recreational but have a 107 certificate. I wanted to know the information the Part 107 test covers and also wanted the option of doing more with the images and videos I capture, should I choose to. So I took the exam and got the certificate. Although a small portion of the information the exam covers isn't relevant to drone flying, most of it is worth knowing even for recreational pilots, in my opinion. I'm glad I took the time to learn it and should probably review it from time to time.

Reactions: Jam0ne
I drone because....... after practicing photography for over 60 years (15 years as a full time pro), I was intrigued by the possibility of new perspectives.
I did get my 107, for a little more accessibility, and I was talked into a few commercial jobs ...... which covered the cost of my Mavic Air 2 and the 107. There is a lot of opportunity for a good photographer that also flies a drone. But because of my years of trying to make a living as a photographer I choose not to pursue jobs that take money away from working pros.
Last week I had a family reunion in Centennial Park MD, which had drone restrictions, but I was able to fly for demonstration and a neat family photo.The Drone wave_70.jpgroupe photo

Reactions: okw and Jam0ne
Commercial pilot. (Pt. 107) Construction, tower inspection, film, some RE, very little insurance work. (...they don't pay very well considering the scope of work and travel distance) I also teach new pilots for UAV Coach.

I drone because....... after practicing photography for over 60 years (15 years as a full time pro), I was intrigued by the possibility of new perspectives.
I did get my 107, for a little more accessibility, and I was talked into a few commercial jobs ...... which covered the cost of my Mavic Air 2 and the 107. There is a lot of opportunity for a good photographer that also flies a drone. But because of my years of trying to make a living as a photographer I choose not to pursue jobs that take money away from working pros.
Last week I had a family reunion in Centennial Park MD, which had drone restrictions, but I was able to fly for demonstration and a neat family photo.View attachment 152207roupe photo
MD...my old stompin grounds! (MoGoCo) Nice shot!

I am a mostly retired full time professional photographer of 30+ years and formerly videographer (when VHS was a thing). I've always been intrigued by aviation and in terms of photography was suffering from "been there-done that" syndrome. My interest got piqued when we bought a toy drone for one of our friends' boys, thinking to myself "I want one".

Cutting to the chase, I got a Mini 1 just for fun, and within a week shot my first project in 3 separate sessions. Two weeks later and I finished my first aerial video project (for personal use) that I had shot with my Mini 1.
Very first drone video project- Mini 1 Jul 2020

Four weeks after that I bought a Mavic 2 Pro! Shortly thereafter I took the Part 107 exam. Unfortunately COVID was bad for business for quite awhile and I can now start looking for paid projects again.

recreational, but will help out the local sheriff department at the large events that are done during the summer months as added security, especially since the Highland Park 4th of July parade shooting, and someone flying to record the parade captured an image of the person who ultimately was responsible, helped the authorities id the person quicker. Studying for the part 107, it is interesting but alot seems very irrelavant.

I drone because....
. . . I am no longer one of those 'anti-drone' RC snobs'. I'm kidding! 😆 Been flying remotely since the 70s, when cameras got small enough to put on RC models (late 90s early 2000's) I started there and had my two favorite pastimes together.

Anyone remember the little CVS video cameras that you would 'rent' for 25 bucks and then you would bring the camera back and they would put your video onto a card and the camera would go back and get recycled for the next customer? Turns out with a little hack, you can get the video off the memory yourself and you never had to take that camera back.😏

Early drones had no camera or video feed to see so I scoffed at those, but when the fist gimbals started marrying GoPros to drones I was hooked and never looked back. Began taking Real Estate aerial shots for my wife's Photography business and as soon as the 107 was in place, got certified. I still do commercial stills (pun intended) when she needs, but I am a videographer at and flyer heart.

There is no part 107 in the UK, so I don't suppose the question is appropriate.

The last time I looked at the CAA regs, if you are flying sub 250gm you can use a drone commercially as long as you have the appropriate insurance.

I expect some UK pro's who have paid a lot of money for a commercial licence will have something to add. 🙂

I got the FPV because I used to be a full time hang glider pilot and the FPV was as close to being "superman" as I have seen since my days running off cliffs. I also do a lot of photography and videography so I then grabbed a Mavic 3 and a Mini 3 Pro. I'm waiting for a Mavic 4 with a true optical zoom lens. THAT is my wish list.
Hey! From another former hang glider pilot! Used to boat tow, and tow to 3Kft behind an ultralight tow plane, as well as run off a mountain or two.
No FPV...Yet...
Current "fleet" is an Air 2S, Mini 3 Pro.
Recreational, but studying for the Part 107 to open some horizons.

Hey! From another former hang glider pilot! Used to boat tow, and tow to 3Kft behind an ultralight tow plane, as well as run off a mountain or two.
No FPV...Yet...
Current "fleet" is an Air 2S, Mini 3 Pro.
Recreational, but studying for the Part 107 to open some horizons.
I think you'll laugh and be amazed when you fly an FPV It is SO much like "being there". I flew in Lake Elsinore CA and Colorado Springs. Made it to 18,300ft at Crested Butte which is quite the story. Did a fair number of flights off Glacier Point at Yosemite. I flew pretty much full time for several years before moving to Alaska. Have and FPV, Mini3 and Mavic 3.

Reactions: PeteTheJack
I think you'll laugh and be amazed when you fly an FPV It is SO much like "being there". I flew in Lake Elsinore CA and Colorado Springs. Made it to 18,300ft at Crested Butte which is quite the story. Did a fair number of flights off Glacier Point at Yosemite. I flew pretty much full time for several years before moving to Alaska. Have and FPV, Mini3 and Mavic 3.
I remember driving over the mountain passes in Colorado, where the engine of my rented six cylinder SUV got really short of breath. I should imagine that in the thinner air, the FPV did not fly for as long as usual.

I drone because....
I want to prepare planar images (stitched from multiple shots taken at the same altitude while moving) to create overlays for Google Earth. With the built-in tools on GE, the overlays can be accurately positioned, so other tools can be used to measure area and lengths. With the images saved on my website, I can set up KML links so they get served to GE when activated in the Places panel.

I have a 104 acre property with lots of variation in topography and vegetation cover, so the overlays let me view it in different seasons at far better resolution than anything Google offers (my garden overlays show individual plants).

I have flown over several friends & family properties to be able to give them similar imagery, but so far only places that are quite rural and don't involve flying over water (except during winter).

Recreational pilot. I always have done a lot of photography and the views from the sky are so enjoyable! Makes me remember the view I had when I did some skydiving decades ago ;)

Reactions: Jam0ne and Barbara

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13