DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who flies beyond line of sight?

But knowing the government bodies track records, I think this will happen in a few years. All drones sold will have geo fencing and will have restrictions to way less than a mile by software. And modding and breaking the rule will lead to the drone notifying a body for your ticket in the mail.

Gee, I hope none of the folks that were giving me a hard time about not wanting to notify the tower when I fly around my yard aren't flying out of sight or above 400'.....

In 4 years of flying drones, the only time I have crashed was flying VLOS. IMO it's not as safe as flying FPV. However I do watch and listen to the sky like a hawk for manned aircraft, even though I always fly under 400'AGL. Helicopters, hang gliders and ultralights are the main concern. Planes rarely fly below 400'AGL except take off and landing. I personally think texting while driving is 10X the risk of flying BVLOS in a responsible way.

As for the OP, he won't get very far BVLOS anyway with the Mavic air. It's not capable much beyond 3000' in most cases, you'll lose the connection, and control, which increases risk.

I know the rules are don't fly if you can't see your drone but.....
I see a lot of videos where it is a mile away

Personally I'm afraid to lose my Mavic Air
As I'm fairly new to the Air, I have not even gone beyond 1000 feet away

I call mine the "Predator Drone"

Tell me your stories
Love the skin on your drone. Looks awesome.

I've kept mine VLOS entirely and never flew it away any further than about 1500' and never above 120' in height. I'm paranoid of losing it, crashing it etc. At this point, that is sufficient. As my skill as an operating increases I may change those parameters.

But knowing the government bodies track records, I think this will happen in a few years. All drones sold will have geo fencing and will have restrictions to way less than a mile by software. And modding and breaking the rule will lead to the drone notifying a body for your ticket in the mail.

Motor vehicles will likely get the same treatment about the same time, then it will be time to chip the people :/

VLOS rules appear to be very outdated and are bound to be greatly modified. This is happening now in the commercial sector and should be extended to the hobbiest area where IMHO we have more attentive users.
The commercial UAS world is moving to programed flight where deliveries, mapping, surveying, security et all are all are currently done out of VLOS.
Heck I'm seeing articles on how hospitals with large campuses are using drones to move medicines and lab samples around, there is no way they are VLOS.
It seems that the amazing dependability of the current consumer drones has negated if not minimized the relevance of VLOS.
That said I personally try to stay with VLOS because most of my flying is done seaside or in the mountains and I have a fear or birds attacking my birds.

On the weekend I was photographing sailing boats 3 km out to sea.

View attachment 67164

Looks like you would have at least had a good tailwind home :)
Always a good idea over the ocean.

So whatcha flying, and how long did you spend on each of the trip out, over the boats, and the flight back . . . approximately :)
I'm guessing you fly out in sports mode, maybe 7 or 8 mins into that wind ?
Same sports mode filming the boats to beat that wind ?
And back ?

Tell me your stories
I fly a mile away but always have a rescue path in mind. I try to only fly where I can get to it.
I thought the idea was “line” of sight, not that you actually need to see it. Since if you put a mountain between you and the bird you will loose connection. I don’t think many people can actually “see” the drone.

I do wish there was a better way to know AGL when you are over mountains, too much to ask probably

Last edited:

Tell me your stories

and at 1000 ft away, if you look down for a second, then look back up, can you find and see your drone?

Line of sight means googles cannot be used... it means all technology the allows the drone and controller to communicate more than 1000 ft away (+/-) is wasted and we threw our money away.

I fly safely, and not over people, and in LOS on take off and landings....

Why? There is no legitimate reason to fly the drone where you can't see it. Certainly not for professional photography or Cinematography, If you want to prove how big your member is, and want distance just buy a "real drone" and stop playing with toys,

I've flown out of visual sight range a couple times while at the beach or remote areas. I won't here at home though. There's been too many low flying helicopters in my area. Granted I can hear them approaching, I don't want to be that guy that prevents a rescue helicopter from landing.

Definitely don't want this happening either.

I fly a mile away but always have a rescue path in mind. I try to only fly where I can get to it.
I thought the idea was “line” of sight, not that you actually need to see it. Since if you put a mountain between you and the bird you will loose connection. I don’t think many people can actually “see” the drone.

I do wish there was a better way to know AGL when you are over mountains, too much to ask probably
IN Canada at least, VLOS means you can SEE the UAV with the unaided eye (No Binoculars) . . but M2E changes everything

Why? There is no legitimate reason to fly the drone where you can't see it. Certainly not for professional photography or Cinematography, If you want to prove how big your member is, and want distance just buy a "real drone" and stop playing with toys,
Try finding an missing canoe over several square miles of swamp or small lakes and keep a Mavic in sight. Id' suggest there are actually many legitimate reasons . . . nothing to do with making a movie or taking a picture

Reactions: Fleek and JSKCKNIT

One should always avoid saying always and never say never... except when sizing up one's own member ;)

Reactions: Cookedinlh

Marine mammal identification for research and documenting anti-poaching activities are legitimate reasons. Mavic Pro's and Phantom's are used in these cases and are not considered toys.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329