DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who has taken the Part 107 test ?

When it expires in 2 years, do you have to pay another $150 for the retest?
Every 2 years you need to recertify, or have a biannual test, or what for pilots is a flight review. For my private pilot, I needed an endorsement from a Certified Flight Instructor, I haven't actually looked to see what recert for Drone entails, in checking, I see that FAA currently states "test", but they are actively considering replacing that with you taking classes, online, to show you're continuing "education" and staying current with regulation changes.

Last edited:

I passed the Part 107 exam yesterday with a 93% and found the three free resources mentioned above to be far and away the most helpful (thanks for the tips, modbuilder). I studied fairly obsessively all week and although I had planned to study for a few more weeks, I felt well prepared and thought it was time to rip the band aid off and do it now (impulsivity, anyone?). The #4 study guide -- especially the video -- with the numbers at a glance are great. Just be ready to apply those numbers to actual situations rather than just regurgitate numbers or pick them from a multiple choice lineup.

Reactions: Doug Lare
I used Remotepilot 101 and it was the best thing I could of done if you want to pass it the first time
and if for some reason you don't they pay for the retest also the course is good for life.

I took the online class from Remote Pilot 101 and passed. It still required a great deal of study on my part but am glad I did. It clarified a lot of questions I had. Well worth the $99 cost (they had a sale on it about a year ago), in my opinion.

I second Breids post. I used Remote Pilot 101. Studied, took quiz and practice exams at my leisure. Passed test 1 st time around.

I have the Part 107 certification.
I studied independently and scored a 90 on the exam.
My goal was not the certification, rather to better understand air space. I learned that as well as reading Metars and TAFs.
After preparing for the exam, I considered not taking the exam and saving the $150 exam fee as I had obtained the knowledge I was after.

If your goal is to make money with your drone, consider accepting donations instead of establishing pricing and fishing for business.
Also, somewhere in these forum threads a certified pilot wrote of complaining to the FAA for having to compete with non certified pilots, and received a response that the FAA 'encourages' certification. That seems odd, but believable because how could the FAA possibly enforce policy without an incident to prosecute. The IRS can't enforce all tax laws how could the FAA enforce drone laws all over the country?

If your goal is to make money with your drone, consider accepting donations instead of establishing pricing and fishing for business.
This will not exempt the pilot from needing a Part 107 certification for those types of flights.

The requirement for certification is law. It's not a "suggestion".

I just read through the FAA study guide and passed 1st time. I have an aviation background so I suppose that helped. Studied maybe for 3 weeks in my free time.

Thank you, but I don't rely on luck. I take calculated risks. I'm respectful, and I fly safe.
Life is full of risk.
Have you considered shuffle board?
So you are publicly admitting to purposely violating aviation regulations?

So you are publicly admitting to purposely violating aviation regulations?
BTW...while driving my car, I regularly do 5 mph over the limit, I have crossed an intersection while the light was yellow, and just yesterday, I made a left turn without signaling.
How about you? Do you absolutely follow the law while driving? Probably not. So, what's the difference?
Recently, I saw a cessna well below 500 feet, and no where near the airport. To the community, which is more of a threat, the cessna at X tons packed with fuel, or my 1.5lb flying plastic?

BTW...while driving my car, I regularly do 5 mph over the limit, I have crossed an intersection while the light was yellow, and just yesterday, I made a left turn without signaling.
How about you? Do you absolutely follow the law while driving? Probably not. So, what's the difference?
Recently, I saw a cessna well below 500 feet, and no where near the airport. To the community, which is more of a threat, the cessna at X tons packed with fuel, or my 1.5lb flying plastic?
Clearly your flying plastic is more dangerous, there's no doubt about that. The Cessna pilot has a license, while you don't.

I'm currently using gold seal to practice for my test and it's well worth the money for me since I don't often do well teaching myself.

Clearly your flying plastic is more dangerous, there's no doubt about that. The Cessna pilot has a license, while you don't.
It's as if I'm conversing with a rock.
You win. I don't have time for you.

Passed my exam today with a 93%: four questions wrong. The exam proctor was impressed with my score, but I was shooting for 100.

Thankfully, the examination system tells you which questions you got wrong, and the proctor (who runs a flight school) was happy to chat about it.

Upon reflection, some of my answers were legitimately wrong, but others, well, I'm not so sure. These are the four I missed, if it helps you in your studies:
  1. Part 107 Certificate Presentation – The question was something like “You must present your Part 107 remote pilot certificate for inspection when requested by:”. Answers included something along the lines of “NTSB safety inspector”, “anyone in authority”, and some other answer that seemed really dumb. The NTSB one appeared too specific (NTSB doesn’t usually just show up while you’re flying). I didn’t love the “anyone in authority” answer—it seemed too broad—but it appeared better than the others. Wrong, evidently.

2. Victor Airway Class E Floor – The question was about the floor of a specific VR route. On the visible portion of the chart, the depicted VR airway extended entirely over 1200’ AGL floor class E airspace, except for a tiny portion that seemed to project 1–2 NM into a 700’ AGL floor class E area (it was very hard to see, but the light blue VR route did seem to overlap and blend with the magenta 700’ E vignetted border by a few millimeters). I bounced back and forth, and then, erring on the side of caution, eventually decided to go with 700’ AGL. I thought I got it wrong because of the ambiguous printing, but according to the proctor, the floor of a Victor Airway is indeed 1200’ AGL even if over Class E 700’ AGL or surface airspace.

3. Vertical Limits of Class D Airspace – The question was about how the vertical limits of Class D airspace are typically “charted” or “depicted” (something like that). Answers included from surface up to but not including 2,500’ AGL, from surface up to but not including 3,000’ AGL, or from surface up to the floor of the overlying Class E airspace. Now, a few things went through my mind on this one. First of all, from my studies I already knew that class D airspace _typically_ extends to around 2,500’ AGL, with the ceiling charted as MSL. So I easily eliminated the “up to...3,000’ AGL” answer, and at first marked the 2,500’ AGL answer. But then I started to second-guess myself. I ruminated on the class E floor answer. Technically, class D airspace could be overhung by a tier of class B or maybe class C airspace, so class E is not always immediately overhead — but it will always be up there somewhere below class A. So the toss-up? Class E doesn’t always immediately overhang class D, but class D doesn’t always go to 2,500’ AGL (charted in MSL), either. What was most typical? Well, when I thought about the word “charted” or “depicted” (whatever it was), the AGL notation bothered me, and so I went with the Class E answer. I should have stuck with my first choice!

4. Attachments to UAS – This question was about attaching items to the aircraft, and what the remote PIC must do. One answer was easily dismissed. That left one answer about “safely tethered so that the load will not drop” and one about “not affecting the controllability of the aircraft”. Well, both were plausible. My thinking was that adding any sort of weight would have at least some kind of effect on performance and controllability, even if perfectly weighted and balanced for CG — per ADM methodologies, the PIC would need to assess the risk and benefit of the load to make a determination on whether to transfer or eliminate or accept-and-mitigate (TEAM), to find alternatives (CARE), or to estimate/choose (DECIDE), etc. But unless eliminating, that added weight would always have some effect on the craft, even if optimally balanced. As for the other answer, the PIC would never want the load to drop unintentionally and cause damage or injury, so it better be well-attached! Well, that seemed like the better answer. Evidently not.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom