DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who is responsible???

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if your kid damaged someones property you would not take care of it???

Nope. He's 22, so that'd be his responsibility.

When my kid was a minor, I bore some responsibility for things he might have damaged, but not for every possible thing. Kids are kids. It's reasonable to expect them to act like kids. It's not reasonable to expect them to act like anything other than kids.

For example, if my kid were having a squirt gun fight at the town beach and a guy decided to walk through the fray and his cellphone got soaked, that's not the kids' fault. If the owner of the ice cream stand puts up a swingset on the grass and it turns out that it's a valuable antique meant as decoration and that swinging on it causes damage, it's the owner's responsibility to make it clear that it's not really intended as the playground equipment it looks like - unless they fence it off or something, nobody could blame a kid for swinging on it. There are countless other examples of situations in which a child could damage someone's property without being liable.

Another example would be flying a toy drone over a bunch of kids at least one of whom has a squirtgun so near that it's easily hit by a squirtgun. Kids are likely to view toys as toys and to think it's appropriate to play with them. Dangle a toy in front of a kid, and you should not be surprised when that kid tries to interact with it in a playful way.

There's no justification for flying that close to people unless you've arranged that with them ahead of time. Just because some of them know you doesn't mean they know it's your drone in this instance (your Mavic probably looks a lot like mine or the one that one kid's dad owns) nor is it reasonable to assume that non-enthusiasts can really tell little toy drones apart. Who's to say that girl doesn't know someone who plays chicken with her squirtgun using their Mavic? Who's to say she hasn't been being harassed by the convicted pedophile who lives in her neighborhood and has a small, dark drone?

Even if I know exactly who is operating a drone, if I'm in a public area using normal sporting equipment or toys for such a location and you get your drone close enough to me that I can get annoyed and bat it out of the way with my badminton racket, horseshoe, beach umbrella, cricket bat, lasso, or squirtgun, then you were flying far too close to me for safety and comfort. I would have no reservations at all about defending such an action in court.

Since you were flying in Visual Line of Sight (right?), you were near enough to see that they were playing with squirtguns and should have been near enough to tell them by voice that it was you flying that drone and not some anonymous creep.

Imagine going to court and having to address not only the issue of "got close to playing kids, yet was surprised when a kid played", needing to deal with the issue of "why would a responsible operator fly within squirtgun range of people?" but also having to contend with the appearance that you were leering down the tops of pubescent girls with your spy drone.

If you did arrange with those kids (and their parents, since it sounds as if you think they were all minors) ahead of time and they agreed that you could take close-up drone video of them in their swimsuits in the water and one of them decided to splash your drone, then I'd agree it's her responsibility. Otherwise, I maintain that it's the operator's issue and you need to grow up and accept responsibility instead of trying to shift it to a kid.

Reactions: Alabast
Seems simple, if you had their parents permission, briefed them and their parents before the flight, explained what you were doing, how close you were going to be flying and asked them not to splash the drone and they went ahead and did it anyway then it is on them.

If not then it is on you.

It was a highly foreseeable outcome and you as the pilot bear the responsibility.

I also hope the parents are comfortable with you posting the video in a public forum, the angles and nature of the shots don't exactly come across the way you might wish when taken out of context in that short clip...

Does it matter? It's a kid!
We would all have done the same thing at that age. Your never going to receive payment for damages and I assume your not looking for it anyway.

Two not so obvious things to avoid when flying.
Kids with anything in their hands like balls or sticks etc. and secondly dogs. Dogs will go after your drone like it's a flying T-Bone steak.

Rob

Lol, I've had mine for about a week, and every time I land I am chasing my dog around to keep her away from the drone. She's fine with it flying believe it or not, but the landing process always sparks her interest.

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks. In the end you got a tough break and no one can change that.

The girl didn't know any better, I'm sure she didn't know water would hurt it or how much it cost.
Just a kid being a kid.

Reactions: BmrUpInTheSky
There's a term in US Law called "attractive nuisance" that puts the liability on the owner or adult when dealing with the actions of kids. If they jumped up and grabbed it out of the air, the pilot would be responsible for any damage, or more importantly, any injury.

Reactions: Rbruz
****, that sucks. I comple
You should not be flying over people who are not involved in the flight operation.

The pilot is 100 percent responsible.

BS. The pilot knew everyone in that group EXCEPT the idiot kid that thought it would be smart to shoot the drone. There is nothing wrong with flying over people that are fine with you flying over them. The only problem here was the kid that didn't know any better. It is that kids fault but nothing would come of it.

Ditto on what Sonic said. The girl probably did not intend to do damage. You are the one who could have avoided getting your drone soaked. Lesson learned hopefully. Now you need to accept that and move on.

Reactions: Rbruz
Let's draw a parallel with another, more common, scenario.

You're passing by a group of kids playing when one of them throws a rock at your car, breaking your window or chipping off paint.
Ya'know...kids are kids...they don't know better...they were playing. They didn't want to do harm...they just threw a small rock. ;)

Did you do anything to put them in danger? Well, the drone might've crashed into them...or your foot might've slipped onto a car gas pedal, running them over...but it didn't. Some other damage was done.

The funny moment in the video is that the girl in the middle tells something to a girl with a gun, then the girl fires towards the drone. Now, that might've been "Shoot at it", as the girl who knows you might've been more comfortable with you (and your property) than the other one.

Not the same. I have thrown rocks at passing bikes and paid the price. In this case, the drone was encroaching on the personal space. It's up to the pilot to respect the space of others -- common courtesy.

Maybe I'm crazy, but the one girl looks very uncomfortable with the drone flying overhead. She was OK until she looked up and took closer note, possibly of the camera. Then she does the typical "cover my tummy" thing. To me, she appears insecure and violated weather you knew her or not.

Stay away from these types of situations. Way too sensitive.

JMHO.

I'm guessing it crashed? Why is the video cut off?

Tough call. If you knew them all, like they are all family and friends and you were getting like fun footage that really sucks.

Obviously it's a risk you take to get footage like that. If you knew them all, cool (which you say you did)..

If you didn't.. obviously you got what you deserved (but you did know them so just sucks..)

****, that sucks. I comple

BS. The pilot knew everyone in that group EXCEPT the idiot kid that thought it would be smart to shoot the drone. There is nothing wrong with flying over people that are fine with you flying over them. The only problem here was the kid that didn't know any better. It is that kids fault but nothing would come of it.

People who fly drones are not pilots, they are operators or enthusiasts. If somebody wants to become a real pilot they need to go to flight school, fly an actual aircraft, pass all their tests and earn the priveleges of the title.

Reactions: esquire
Not the same. I have thrown rocks at passing bikes and paid the price. In this case, the drone was encroaching on the personal space. It's up to the pilot to respect the space of others -- common courtesy.

Well, I beg to differ. To me it would be the same :) I'm curious how high was the drone. I'd say 3m/10ft above the ground? @goldenrodmessiah

Maybe I'm crazy, but the one girl looks very uncomfortable with the drone flying overhead. She was OK until she looked up and took closer note, possibly of the camera. Then she does the typical "cover my tummy" thing. To me, she appears insecure and violated weather you knew her or not.

Stay away from these types of situations. Way too sensitive.

JMHO.

You're talking about the second girl. I only noticed after you mentioned it. The problem is with the fourth one :) Or the third one telling the forth to shoot it down :) Let's not get obsessed with twisted point of view that would involve Jethro Tull's Aqualung. The OP mentioned that the father of the other girls is also a Mavic owner. I'll be free to assume that the mentioned father and the rest of the parenting company was around on that beach. @goldenrodmessiah can confirm if the parents knew he will film the children.

@8BitMavics Personal space story is OK if something is making you uncomfortable or scared for life, but this was neither of those situations. Parents are those that think a drone might fall onto children's heads, not the children. Parents are the ones that think that touching an insect could transfer some disease to a child...children just want to catch that butterfly, eat dirt and stuff. Children do not think about consequences. That's why arguments such as "those are just kids being kids" holds water. If you start with "personal space" rhetoric, then we're deeper into legal water, where every action can have a lawsuit reaction :)

Personally, I'm not really sure how I would react. I'm not holding any sides, just debating :)

Well, I beg to differ. To me it would be the same :) I'm curious how high was the drone. I'd say 3m/10ft above the ground? @goldenrodmessiah

You're talking about the second girl. I only noticed after you mentioned it. The problem is with the fourth one :) Or the third one telling the forth to shoot it down :) Let's not get obsessed with twisted point of view that would involve Jethro Tull's Aqualung. The OP mentioned that the father of the other girls is also a Mavic owner. I'll be free to assume that the mentioned father and the rest of the parenting company was around on that beach. @goldenrodmessiah can confirm if the parents knew he will film the children.

@8BitMavics Personal space story is OK if something is making you uncomfortable or scared for life, but this was neither of those situations. Parents are those that think a drone might fall onto children's heads, not the children. Parents are the ones that think that touching an insect could transfer some disease to a child...children just want to catch that butterfly, eat dirt and stuff. Children do not think about consequences. That's why arguments such as "those are just kids being kids" holds water. If you start with "personal space" rhetoric, then we're deeper into legal water, where every action can have a lawsuit reaction :)

Personally, I'm not really sure how I would react. I'm not holding any sides, just debating :)

I can simplify.

OP asked who is responsible. He is.

Example: If I bring my laptop poolside and it gets wet from a kid's cannon ball, I'm paying for it out of pocket. I'm responsible. I'm old enough to know that water doesn't mix with electronics well and I took the risk. Blame is mine.

In this case, same thing. Uncomfortable swimsuit tweens be ******. You flew that bird over water (and water guns) - You own that s***.

People who fly drones are not pilots, they are operators or enthusiasts. If somebody wants to become a real pilot they need to go to flight school, fly an actual aircraft, pass all their tests and earn the priveleges of the title.

Wait, I thought pilots are those first episodes of TV shows, where they test test audience reaction.

Reactions: esquire
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes