DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who says the Mavic Mini can't handle the wind? Thirty mile per hour gusts at 75 feet high, and steady as a rock....

Airdata show the wind at the flight altitude for all of your logged flights. It's pretty interesting information and I see winds aloft of 30 mph in places where I have not been able to hover without drifting, and at the time thought it might be the controller out of calibration.

I like "small twigs breaking off branches" on the Beaufort scale as a non fly guide. In flying, orientation with the wind is important part of training...Cows always stand with their back to the wind is one of my favorites..;)

Reactions: markusd1984
Thinking about it if that is 80ft up that is a massive flag so maybe a tad more than 11-12mph. The big *** flags they have on very large buildings are rather heavy so id assume take more wind load

Look, I'm just the messenger....don't shoot me! It's not my video, not my Reddit post, originally, but several people are talking about the video as though someone somewhere claimed that the winds were a sustained 30 mph. It was stated that there were gusts of that speed, which is entirely possible. Who's to say he/she didn't have to do 20 takes to get a video that smooth, and that the other 19 had the Mini flopping around like a wet noodle?

Personally, I think that wind has to be considerably higher than 10 - 12 mph, sustained, because that flag looks VERY large. But I am far, far, FAR from an expert, so I will leave it at that.

Look, I'm just the messenger....don't shoot me! It's not my video, not my Reddit post, originally, but several people are talking about the video as though someone somewhere claimed that the winds were a sustained 30 mph. It was stated that there were gusts of that speed, which is entirely possible. Who's to say he/she didn't have to do 20 takes to get a video that smooth, and that the other 19 had the Mini flopping around like a wet noodle?

Personally, I think that wind has to be considerably higher than 10 - 12 mph, sustained, because that flag looks VERY large. But I am far, far, FAR from an expert, so I will leave it at that.

It's not so much a matter of shooting the messenger, but there have already been numerous cases of Mavic Mini wind-related incidents/losses reported on this forum, with logs. This kind of video, pushing unrealistic expectations of the ability of the Mini to cope with high winds, does a huge disservice to new and novice users.

Exactly. Nowhere does he say he is flying at that time it is 30 mph sustained wind. That's why all these protests are silly. He is flying low and close to the subject and also close to his controller. So it's a nice little clip and I, personally, have had my Mini handle well in windy conditions. But I don't fly it far or high and I fly into the wind. It certainly isn't the same as my MP2 but it does very well for being a little featherweight flying camera. Look at the guy's Reddit page here: Flier's Reddit Page Link

It's not so much a matter of shooting the messenger, but there have already been numerous cases of Mavic Mini wind-related incidents/losses reported on this forum, with logs. This kind of video, pushing unrealistic expectations of the ability of the Mini to cope with high winds, does a huge disservice to new and novice users.
Most of those cases I have seen on the forum of fly aways have new users and involve flying way too high, way too far and flying into the wind to get back home. This is the way to do it. It shows new users to fly close to the controller and low and you can get some clips, even on a windy day. It is most certainly a case of putting words in the messenger's mouth for everyone that just assumed it was sustained 30mph. Since no one knows how heavy the flag is, all the speculation about wind speed using that are not much use either. The flier's Reddit page is right there. Go look at his posts. I am not saying go out and fly in a windstorm and the Mini will be fine, but it can hold it's own if you use good sense.

Most of those cases I have seen on the forum of fly aways have new users and involve flying way too high, way too far and flying into the wind to get back home. This is the way to do it. It shows new users to fly close to the controller and low and you can get some clips, even on a windy day. It is most certainly a case of putting words in the messenger's mouth for everyone that just assumed it was sustained 30mph. Since no one knows how heavy the flag is, all the speculation about wind speed using that are not much use either. The flier's Reddit page is right there. Go look at his posts. I am not saying go out and fly in a windstorm and the Mini will be fine, but it can hold it's own if you use good sense.

No - the premise of the clip was that the Mini can handle high winds. It can't. It's bad advice. It should not be flown in 30 mph gusts, let alone 30 mph sustained.

No - the premise of the clip was that the Mini can handle high winds. It can't. It's bad advice. It should not be flown in 30 mph gusts, let alone 30 mph sustained.
It is trade wind season where I live.
.TODAY...Partly sunny and breezy with isolated showers. Northeast
winds 15 to 25 mph. Highs near 86.

Took the Mini for a flight a couple hours ago. I did just fine. I am looking at the videos now. Mini is sitting beside me. So I respectfully disagree. Just be judicious when flying your Mini on a windy day.

It is trade wind season where I live.
.TODAY...Partly sunny and breezy with isolated showers. Northeast
winds 15 to 25 mph. Highs near 86.

Took the Mini for a flight a couple hours ago. I did just fine. I am looking at the videos now. Mini is sitting beside me. So I respectfully disagree. Just be judicious when flying your Mini on a windy day.

Disagree with what? P-mode and RTH top speed, and wind resistance, is 8 m/s (18 mph). Sport mode top speed is 13 m/s (29 mph). It can't handle high winds. That's not a criticism of the aircraft - just a fact. And many of the incidents of the Mini being blown away have led to comments from the users that they thought it would be fine because they watched YouTube videos, just like the one in this thread.

Reactions: old man mavic
As I said, go to the guy's Reddit page and read. He says he used sport mode to fly for the flag photo. Again, he is close to his subject and low to the ground. Looks like the way to do it to me. RTH isn't mentioned. Sustained 30 mph isn't mentioned. Looks like he's doing it right. He even says later in the day winds picked up: "About 4 hours later in the day we had 38mph gusts and a constant of 24. I was like there is noooooo way it would fly right now." Sounds like he is showing he understands the Mini has limits and this is a teachable moment to me.

As I said, go to the guy's Reddit page and read. He says he used sport mode to fly for the flag photo. Again, he is close to his subject and low to the ground. Looks like the way to do it to me. RTH isn't mentioned. Sustained 30 mph isn't mentioned. Looks like he's doing it right. He even says later in the day winds picked up: "About 4 hours later in the day we had 38mph gusts and a constant of 24. I was like there is noooooo way it would fly right now." Sounds like he is showing he understands the Mini has limits and this is a teachable moment to me.

Well that's great, but unfortunately most people will not go to the Reddit page to get those details. Hence the repeated attempts to clarify the Mini's limitations by numerous posters in this thread.

Reactions: old man mavic
My gut feeling from looking at this large flag the windspeed is more like 15 to 20, gusts to 30 sure but not during the filming of this ( my opinion). I have not flown the mini yet, but I do expect it to be very capable at low altitude with reasonable wind speed. My impression of this drone if flown properly in the right conditions it very well can cover long distances and more than enough altitude, not respecting it's limitations comes with risk, plain and simple.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ldutson