DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who uses a radio to monitor air traffic while flying their quadcopter and why?

Following up on Mavic Mac's post, under what circumstances would an air traffic controller want to be in touch with the PIC? Perhaps more to the point, how would they let the PIC know that he or she should initiate contact? Is it assumed that the PIC announces his or her flight via radio, in addition to getting LAANC approval to fly?
The airspace I got flight authorization is surrounding an airport that is not part of LAANC. It also has military flights in and out of there. Here is the whole paragraph concerning communication with the ATC tower

3. COORDINATION AND COMMUNICATION REQUIREMENTS
a. UAS PIC must email CEF ATCT at [email protected] the day prior to flying operations and provide the following:
(1) COA number (2) Primary telephone number of the pilot in command. (3) Schedule of flight (time and duration) (4) Location where flight will occur (coordinate and radius) (5) Altitude (6) Verify current weather (ceiling/visibility) (7) Communication requirements
b. If UAS PIC does not receive an email response before date of UAS flight operations, the Proponent shall contact CEF ATCT at 413-557-**** to confirm approval.
(I deleted last four digits of number)
c. UAS PIC may be required to maintain direct two-way radio communication with ATC, and if required must comply. When necessary, the ATC frequency will be provided to operator during the ATC coordination prior to flight.
d. UAS PIC shall notify CEF ATCT immediately upon completion of UAS flight operations at 413-557-**** (I deleted last four digits of number)

Last edited:
Reactions: JS1600 and hashfly
Interesting. Does this require you to have a radio operator’s license or does your waiver grant authority to operate a radio (unless the rule has changed, transmitting requires a license unless the transceiver is being used in an aircraft. At least that was the rule 20 years ago when I got my private pilot certificate)?

And also, how likely is it that the tower is going to receive transmissions from someone on the ground?
Yes it does require a license - I have obtained my FCC license. The license gives you a FAA Number/FCC Call Sign which is very similar to an aircraft tail number. It was $170 for ten years. $70 for the license and $100 application/processing fee.

So far I have not flown in this controlled airspace so I have not tried communicating with the tower. My feeling is that it won't work. Hills and trees.

Yes it does require a license - I have obtained my FCC license. The license gives you a FAA Number/FCC Call Sign which is very similar to an aircraft tail number. It was $170 for ten years. $70 for the license and $100 application/processing fee.

So far I have not flown in this controlled airspace so I have not tried communicating with the tower. My feeling is that it won't work. Hills and trees.
Interesting. Thanks!

I’m 2 miles from a very busy general aviation airport and sometimes keep my transceiver on at tower frequency to listen to traffic. I can hear the aircraft, but can’t pick up the tower (although strangely I can sometimes pick up ATIS/AWOS).

Somewhat funny (?) and off-topic story: years ago, I was good friends with the general counsel for a decent sized business in my hometown. They had a company King Air that I got to fly (right seat) a couple of times. I heard it fly into a local airport once over my radio, and mentioned to my GC friend that I’d heard their plane coming in. Turned out the COO or someone high up had used the plane without authorization to visit his kid in college. Turned into a big scandal and I think the guy lost his job or was demoted.

Reactions: Captain.rick
I work at KLEB in N.H., and the aviation portable radios work by “line of sight” for the best signal, so hills and trees MIGHT be a problem, but maybe not. So this makes perfect sense that you can hear local air traffic, and not the tower. Try searching for the towers “ground”, “tower”, and local CTAF to see what you can monitor. Call the tower by phone to see if you can try your radio as well.

Well in the UK you'll find a number don't care for the 1000ft threshold. I had to land the other day when a police helicopter was in the vicinity at around 200ft but not on radio not flight radar.
The rules for helicopters are different. Something to do with them having twin engine, therefore they can fly pretty much wherever they want (within reason) the 1000 feet or glide clear rules are for the eventuality of an engine failure. Therefore 2 engines are deemed highly unlikely (although not impossible) to fail.... next reason is it's the police ?

I use the “Flightradar24” app on my phone to monitor for aircraft and helicopter traffic. It’s like learning a new language when listening to ATC radio communications. Without the app, you wouldn’t know what flight they are talking to.

Reactions: BigAl07
I use the “Flightradar24” app on my phone to monitor for aircraft and helicopter traffic. It’s like learning a new language when listening to ATC radio communications. Without the app, you wouldn’t know what flight they are talking to.

It's a great AP but has some significant limitations.

A) It doesn't show any aircraft that aren't broadcasting their location etc
B) It has "lag" in many cases

If you live/operate in an area where ADS-B is required (controlled airspace etc) it's going to be very accurate because supposedly almost all planes will be broadcasting. Otherwise not so much.

Reactions: JS1600
I can see that many drone operators in these forums do not have a good understanding of general aviation operations and flight law even with a REPL or drone licence. This is understandable if you have not completed general aviation pilot training as airspace can be very complex and flight law is taught as a separate subject in GA flight training with huge volumes of Regulations, Orders etc.

The Drone Regulations (In Australia) are well designed to provide appropriate separation between light aircraft and UAV most of the time. However, there is still always a risk of operating in the same airspace. The lowest height that GA aircraft are supposed to fly is 500 feet AGL in the country and 1000 feet AGL over populated areas.

For GA flight training, we have areas that are designated as “Low flying areas” these are normally in rural areas and allow light aircraft to practice emergency procedures down to very low levels such as treetop height. We also have hundreds of ALAs (private airstrips) that aircraft will approach and depart from, these areas are not marked on any maps or DJI website.

In addition under the stress of unplanned weather or poor flight planning, VFR light aircraft may occasionally need to fly lower than this minimum height to remain visual. In practice, this should not happen but in reality, it does.

With the requirement for the carriage and use of radio in those country airport zones, the pilots are often broadcasting intentions and not necessarily talking to anyone. To use VHF (Airband) radio in Australia you must have a radio operators licence which will teach you how to use the radio correctly and with the right terminology on the right frequency. Good practice in flight is to maintain a listening watch which does not require you to reply to broadcasts unless you consider that this aircraft may conflict with your operations. To much radio-chatter is a bad thing.

It is important that if you have the permission to operate in a zone that requires the use of radio that you do broadcast your intentions every few minutes so that any aircraft in the area know to avoid or look out for your location. They may not speak to you unless they need to but hopefully they have understood your location and are able to remain clear of your work area. Most light training aircraft in Australia do not have ADSB, most do have Mode C transponders and almost all would have VHF radio.

As a CPL and flight instructor, for over 30 years it is of great concern to see many of the high altitude and poor visibility drone flight videos in this forum. Google the damage that a small bird can do to an aircraft particularly if it goes through the windscreen and you will see why pilots are scared of drones. I think the way DJI have GEO fenced their drones is brilliant and regulations are definitely needed, but it is not the complete answer. I think drone operators should learn as much as they can about aviation, meteorology and flight law so everyone can enjoy the shared airspace. There is plenty of free information out there.

Happy & Safe Flying

Blakey

One of the stipulations to my flight authorization is that I may be required to have radio contact with the ATC tower.

c. UAS PIC may be required to maintain direct two-way radio communication with ATC, and if required must comply. When necessary, the ATC frequency will be provided to operator during the ATC coordination prior to flight.

Same here for mine.

I monitor ATC in the Seattle area, even outside tower-controlled airspace, because we have a lot of floatplanes and helicopters. I especially pay attention to 122.9, the multicom for general air to air, which is what transients use in and around the city. I just use a basic Uniden scanner with a longer antenna. I have one bank dedicated to multicom and unicom frequencies.

True, I'm never higher than 400 and they aren't supposed to go under 500, but I'm a little paranoid when it comes to rules and safety.

Try "Flightradar24" app.
Rather than dealing with all the different FAA radio frequencies this app will show you everything flying.

I don't use a radio but do use Flight Radar 24 App to actually see where all crafts are around me at any altitude and AirMap to verify I am in an acceptable area. Plus, use your senses and good thinking.

Try "Flightradar24" app.
Rather than dealing with all the different FAA radio frequencies this app will show you everything flying.
Not everything, unless it changed this month. I can VLOS see a plane flying on approach path 4 miles from class D airport, but it often doesn't show on flightradar, until MAYBE a minute later. To add insult to injury, flightradar won't acknowledge the airport because the airport lacks one of the codes. And this airport caters to UPS or FedEx, can't remember which. Flightaware shows the airport but also suffers from lag or missing flights I should be made aware of.

Try "Flightradar24" app.
I don't believe this is true for our needs.
It does not show military aircraft on military training routes where a flight can be going 400mph barely above tree top level. (Only 21.5% of military aircraft operated by the U.S. Defense Department will be equipped for automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B) Out by the FAA’s January 2020 compliance date, according to the Pentagon.)
Nor does it show all police helicopters which can often be 200' above ground level (Flightradar has agreed to not publish 'sensitive' flights). Finally an air ambulance could be taking off on the other side of that hill from your UAS takeoff point and it does not show up until a few minutes after it has reached a nonzero agl. Finally there will be GA in rural areas or over water that may fly low without ADS-B (think crop dusters, etc).
This is just my understanding of what is reported on Flightradar24.

Reactions: Blakey01
Flight Radar 24 only sees aircraft with ADS-B a relatively new technology that is included in most larger and commercial aircraft. ADS-B is not fitted to any of the training aircraft at our country flying school or local gliders or most ultralights etc. You are definitely not seeing the whole picture with flight radar. You will hear most aircraft before flight radar shows it near your location except maybe the gliders who will sneak up on you.

I don't believe this is true for our needs.
It does not show military aircraft on military training routes where a flight can be going 400mph barely above tree top level. (Only 21.5% of military aircraft operated by the U.S. Defense Department will be equipped for automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B) Out by the FAA’s January 2020 compliance date, according to the Pentagon.)
Nor does it show all police helicopters which can often be 200' above ground level (Flightradar has agreed to not publish 'sensitive' flights). Finally an air ambulance could be taking off on the other side of that hill from your UAS takeoff point and it does not show up until a few minutes after it has reached a nonzero agl. Finally there will be GA in rural areas or over water that may fly low without ADS-B (think crop dusters, etc).
This is just my understanding of what is reported on Flightradar24.
Also... the reports on the available apps have a lag of seconds to minutes.

@JS1600 quoted my post

Mine was issued by DroneZone as the airport I got authorization to fly near is not LAANC

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr