DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who's returning their mavic because of the warm spot?

i must be lucky i just got my mavic 2 weeks ago and i do not see any of the issues with the camera that your guys are seeing so it must be a bad batch of cameras out there.

i must be lucky i just got my mavic 2 weeks ago and i do not see any of the issues with the camera that your guys are seeing so it must be a bad batch of cameras out there.
Shoot some snow in raw, or trees with no leaves. Would love to see the result. Seems to be very apparent in raw not so much in jpg because on board processing corrects it

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using the MavicPilots app

Shoot some snow in raw, or trees with no leaves. Would love to see the result. Seems to be very apparent in raw not so much in jpg because on board processing corrects it

still waiting for my mailing label. Mine is horrendous, possibly the worst ive seen.

attached pictures, no editing straight from the card

What's that acoustic guitar with the cutout in 1st pic? Looks interesting!

I'm just not seeing it in any of my pics, all shot in RAW. These are panos shot in portrait mode, all of them are between 6-8 shots stitched together. So I would think if there is an issue I would have many spots in each pic.

shoshone river pano-2.jpg Meadow and cabin Panorama-2.jpg newton lake pano.jpg

I hear you, BUT lets look at a very recent and highly publicized case where a manufacturer has intentionally deceived the consumer;

The Volkswagen Emissions Cheating scandal (in the USA). Here we have a well established company that flat-out falsified documentation in a direct attempt to lie to the US government and the consumer. This is not simply a case of over-stating a capability it was intentional deception.

And while I do understand the "ideal circumstances" statement that many companies make, BUT how do they fine "ideal"? Is that written somewhere? Is there documentation which states what the "ideal" circumstances are? Are these published? Are the results published and can be easily found? In the case of top speed, was this a one-off situation and was accomplished once? How easily repeatable is it?

Are these circumstances realistic? Again using top speed as an example. What is DJI's definition of "ideal"? Flying with a specialized light weight battery that may way less than what you or I might buy and have a higher output? Does their definition of "ideal" for speed run mean a tail-wind of 20 mph? Sure I'm exaggerating, but its to make a point that we, or at least I don't know how "ideal circumstances" are defined.

And I understand there are "degrees" to this and can be attributed to "circumstances" as long as we see results on both sides of the claim. Going back to top-speed, I see quite a few people posting speeds above the DJI claimed 45 mph. So, I'd attribute the ones who have not been able to achieve that speed to other circumstances other than a deception on behalf of DJI. But I'd be suspicious about DJI's top-speed claim if everyone posted that the speed they were achieving was far less than the claimed 45 mph with no one hitting 45 mph.

Regardless of being early adopters or not, IF a manufacturer makes a claim they need to show that it can be achieved. Being an early adopter doesn't mean getting less than what you paid for.

I have nothing but praise for DJI. I like what they have to offer or I wouldn't own 3 of their drones. Are they perfect? No, but they aren't claimed to be. So I'm definitely not picking on them. My point is much more broad, that we as consumer's shouldn't dismiss claims made by other owners just because we don't use that function. We shouldn't assume the manufacture is always being truthful (just look at my 2nd paragraph). Again, I'm NOT picking on DJI....

First let me say that I´m not making excuses for DJI, or saying anyone is being picky. By all means, if one´s Mavic has any issue that compromises any of the original, intended - and advertised - features or functions, at any level, one should pursue repair, replacement or refund as one sees best. I´d do the same if mine was faulty.

When I say "adjust our expectations" I mean that in our own interest. And not only to avoid frustration, disappointment or anger. But to really have our needs and wishes fulfilled accordingly, and to fight for our rights in a more productive way. "Special conditions testing" is not exclusive to DJI, that I know for sure. Special tires, special fuel, special engine settings... It´s the rule, and it´s allowed because a minimum of standardization is necessary for obvious reasons.

That´s why there´s a host of institutions specialized in independent testing out there. Labs, magazines, the like (though the level of independency or even accuracy - or the very concept itself - is debatable, so I won´t enter that merit). So, if something doesn´t perform within a certain margin from what has been advertised, and the user is not to fault, then of course the right thing to do is to go and seek our rights.

If we take previous DJI quads from yrs past as an indication (that´s all we got, really), it´s perhaps a small number of problematic Mavics compared to total sold. As usual, it makes a lot of noise making things look worse even for perfect Mavic owners.

I know that´s in no way consolation for pilots with problematic Mavics, or dealing with the frustrating customer support. But I see DJI as no different than any other new company involved with new tech that is in high demand and growing fast. Perhaps too fast. That´s usually a bad combination of factors, for the consumer I mean. But that´s how it is, the only real power we have is choice: to Mavic, or not. It may or may not improve with time, my guess is it will just not sure when or how.

Of course I expect the Mavic to perform well within its specs and list of features. It´s unnaceptable that the "generated products" (images) as well as the "camera carrier" (the AC itself) act crazy or unreliably. There are safety issues to be considered as well, besides all the others. But we´ll have to go thru this, and DJI too, one way or another.

I'm just not seeing it in any of my pics, all shot in RAW. These are panos shot in portrait mode, all of them are between 6-8 shots stitched together. So I would think if there is an issue I would have many spots in each pic.

View attachment 5638 View attachment 5639 View attachment 5640

very nice pictures, I can't see anything in the first 2, not saying it's not there, there is a lot of red/pink in the pictures, POSSIBLY the last one about 3 on the right side but not sure. I can promise you if my drone took those pictures it would be very obvious...

*edit, I count 6 on the last pic, that are somewhat apparent

Attachments

• newton lake pano2.jpg
    newton lake pano2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:
I use adobe. What's the best way to get rid of these hot spots without adjusting the whole picture? I'm still learning the program

My camera works great. Also with RAW. No problems. But the Mavic is NOT a professional camera drone. Don't forget that. Maybe obtain for an Inspire 2 then

Adventure is just bad planning

View attachment 5638 View attachment 5639 View attachment 5640
Beautiful pano! But do you not see that red streak going across the top layer of snow in the center of the whole image? Snow shouldn't be red at all

The warm spot, or hot spot that we all get when shooting in RAW is simply unacceptable. I'm hard pressed to get a phantom 4 pro. Over $1k usd to have a device with an issue? Cell phones can shoot now with super small sensors and not have this "abberition" happen. I want to use this for stills and videography but very difficult when the center sphere of the picture has a red or yellow tinge to it.

Filled out an RMA form today. Anyone else?

Savededa,

Dumb question, are you running the latest firmware?.

But the Mavic is NOT a professional camera drone. Don't forget that. Maybe obtain for an Inspire 2 then Adventure is just bad planning

Expecting Professional looking pictures out of the Mavic is asking for too much, that's the reason I bought a Phantom 4 PRO.
The Mavic is an excellent drone in terms of portability and for people like me who like to travel.

When I am not traveling and want Professional looking pictures I fly the Phantom 4 PRO.

Expecting Professional looking pictures out of the Mavic is asking for too much, that's the reason I bought a Phantom 4 PRO.
The Mavic is an excellent drone in terms of portability and for people like me who like to travel.

When I am not traveling and want Professional looking pictures I fly the Phantom 4 PRO.

this is a slow realization I'm coming to. Guy can't have to many drones anyway...kinda like guns.

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
Yes

Sounds like the issue you have is hardware related, knock on wood, I do not have that problem when shooting in raw.

Sounds like the issue you have is hardware related, knock on wood, I do not have that problem when shooting in raw.
Lol read the statement from dji as far as I know everyone has it according to them and it'd a hardware limitation. May be less or worse depending on conditions and lighting

The Volkswagen Emissions Cheating scandal (in the USA). Here we have a well established company that flat-out falsified documentation in a direct attempt to lie to the US government and the consumer. This is not simply a case of over-stating a capability it was intentional deception.
What do you expect from those German Nazi's? :p

Beautiful pano! But do you not see that red streak going across the top layer of snow in the center of the whole image? Snow shouldn't be red at all

If you're referring to the first pano of the river I did add a bit of red in Photoshop to try and recreate the colors that I saw with the naked eye. The sun was low and this time of year here in Northern Wyoming we do get the Golden hour both in the morning and just before sunset. Granted I probably did add a bit too much! The middle photo was taken just after sunrise on a very crisp cold morning (-17°F) and no color was added. The 3rd shot was at sunset as well, no color added. I have seen many extreme examples of the issues you guys are speaking of on this forum as well as RCG. I guess I'm just saying I don't think it's an all around issue with every single Mavic, or at least not to the extremes that some are seeing in their shots. I myself am happy with the stills and video I'm getting out of this little bird. Will I use it on paid shoots, probably not my Inspire 1 and P3P are my go to crafts, but for traveling and just messing around I love it. I'm heading to Africa Monday and will definitely be bringing the Mavic with me.

Lol read the statement from dji as far as I know everyone has it according to them and it'd a hardware limitation.

Lol, that's not necessarily true. I do not have that issue period.!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw