DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who's returning their mavic because of the warm spot?

red colour glow in centre of images in RAW

Looks like we're not the only ones...

I just looked at that image. Quite a bit of CA. Much has been said about the construction of the Mavic camera. Much of it simply has to do with the fact that it is too short. Light has less to travel and can be harder to make behave properly. It may not be a sensor issue but a camera construction issue. I shoot with a polarizer generally and have not noticed the above mentioned effect. Not to say it isn't there but I have not experienced it. Before sending it back, I would slap a filter on that puppy and go shoot something white and then see if the hot spot reappears.

Posterization caused by too low resolution?

I said "resolution of color shades". This has nothing to do with pixel resolution. Sorry for the confusion, a better word would be "differentiation". But in this sense, 10 bits is more resolution than 8 bits. If you have 8 bits, you have only 256 shades of each color channel, which can lead to stripes appearing in gradients. If you have 10 bits per component, you already can differentiate 1024 shades, and so on.

Reactions: deltalimatango
You don't shoot in RAW? I guess you really don't too much about photography, but if you're happy with the in-camera pre-processed images, then good on you.

That's right. I don't shoot in RAW. If I did I wouldn't have said otherwise. And you can guess or assume anything you want to about my photographic experience or usage. Your opinion doesn't really affect my world much now does it? And I'm fairly certain it's not going to exactly rock DJI's world, either.

As far as I recall from art school, Ansel Adams didn't shoot in RAW either, just like the vast majority of Mavic owners won't, so get over yourself. And the only people who have to be concerned about how much I like or dislike DJI's camera and settings is DJI, aren't they? They don't hear me bellyaching about their camera, so regardless of what you have to say, guess about me or think, like I said earlier I'll be keeping my Mavic.

Last edited:
Guys, just so you know, saw a thread regarding a red spot in RAW files on the P4 Pro section of phantompilots.com, since I have both Mavic and P4P I just checked my P4P and guess what, it has the very same issue... I can't see how DJIs oficial explanation could hold up now.

Last edited:
Reactions: maikm
That's right. I don't shoot in RAW. If I did I wouldn't have said otherwise. And you can guess or assume anything you want to about my photographic experience or usage. Your opinion doesn't really affect my world much now does it? And I'm fairly certain it's not going to exactly rock DJI's world, either.

As far as I recall from art school, Ansel Adams didn't shoot in RAW either, just like the vast majority of Mavic owners won't, so get over yourself. And the only people who have to be concerned about how much I like or dislike DJI's camera and settings is DJI, aren't they? They don't hear me bellyaching about their camera, so regardless of what you have to say, guess about me or think, like I said earlier I'll be keeping my Mavic.

Ansel Adams didn't shoot in RAW? Really? He didn't have a digital camera? For shame. Most superfluous statement of the year so far. See if you can top yourself. I wasn't trying to convince you to do anything nor do I care what you shoot in. The point I was making and still make is that RAW gives you processing options than does jpg. Didn't they teach you that in art school when they were telling you that Ansel Adams didn't have a DSLR? So based on your response, I still stand by my "assumption".

DJI is free to do whatever they want in regards to their products. The people will decide if the products meet their demands and will then open their pockets accordingly.

Reactions: Kestrel and AyeYo
Ansel Adams didn't shoot in RAW? Really? He didn't have a digital camera? For shame. Most superfluous statement of the year so far. See if you can top yourself. I wasn't trying to convince you to do anything nor do I care what you shoot in. The point I was making and still make is that RAW gives you processing options than does jpg. Didn't they teach you that in art school when they were telling you that Ansel Adams didn't have a DSLR? So based on your response, I still stand by my "assumption".

DJI is free to do whatever they want in regards to their products. The people will decide if the products meet their demands and will then open their pockets accordingly.

You know, you can read MUCH more closely if you remove your head from where you obviously have it stuck. Where did I say he NEVER used a digital camera? Trust me, the last thing YOU want to do is try and put YOUR words into MY mouth because they would never fit.

You claiming something in a post seen by a handful of folks worldwide in this little forum here does not make it so or true. Are you trying to say that Adams, who died in 1984 - just 9 years before the first digital camera sensor was ever even created - was best known for his DIGITAL photography?? Is THAT what made him the photographer he is known to be? Is THAT was he is best remembered for?? Was a digital camera in his hands on his long road to fame?

Apparently I was right. What you may think or say DOES have exactly the level of effect in my life I stated earlier: absolutely none, which perfectly matches your status in my eyes, actually. And that's just the way it will remain for as long as you breathe air. So once again let me reiterate, you can assume anything about me or my usage of photography you may want and as YOU already originally did, because that will affect me how?

You know, you can read MUCH more closely if you remove your head from where you obviously have it stuck. Where did I say he NEVER used a digital camera? Trust me, the last thing YOU want to do is try and put YOUR words into MY mouth because they would never fit.

You claiming something in a post seen by a handful of folks worldwide in this little forum here does not make it so or true. Are you trying to say that Adams, who died in 1984 - just 9 years before the first digital camera sensor was ever even created - was best known for his DIGITAL photography?? Is THAT what made him the photographer he is known to be? Is THAT was he is best remembered for?? Was a digital camera in his hands on his long road to fame?

Apparently I was right. What you may think or say DOES have exactly the level of effect in my life I stated earlier: absolutely none, which perfectly matches your status in my eyes, actually. And that's just the way it will remain for as long as you breathe air. So once again let me reiterate, you can assume anything about me or my usage of photography you may want and as YOU already originally did, because that will affect me how?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'd like to clear something up. RAW is essentially a digital negative. When shooting with film, you have room to play with the negatives in the darkroom to edit the photo how you like it. That's what RAW does for digital. Ansel Adams was known for being a pro in the darkroom, which is the modern day equivalent of being a master of Photoshop. Now that doesn't mean he didn't know how to get the best image possible straight out of his camera, but a little editing can go a long way to making an image better and he knew that. Every image you've ever seen has been edited in one way or another, so there is no need to look at editing photos as a negative thing. It's just a part of the process.

Anyway, blah blah blah and all that, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you want to get the best out of your photos taken with the Mavic, you really should be shooting in RAW and doing a bit of editing. Most don't require much if you have the settings right. The JPEGS that come out of the Mavic are not very good, and certainly don't give you the best image quality.

Of course if you don't want to shoot RAW and are fine with the JPEGS then that's all well and good. I'm not going to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do with their camera, much less what they are allowed to like or not like. You do you :)

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'd like to clear something up. RAW is essentially a digital negative. When shooting with film, you have room to play with the negatives in the darkroom to edit the photo how you like it. That's what RAW does for digital. Ansel Adams was known for being a pro in the darkroom, which is the modern day equivalent of being a master of Photoshop. Now that doesn't mean he didn't know how to get the best image possible straight out of his camera, but a little editing can go a long way to making an image better and he knew that. Every image you've ever seen has been edited in one way or another, so there is no need to look at editing photos as a negative thing. It's just a part of the process.

Anyway, blah blah blah and all that, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you want to get the best out of your photos taken with the Mavic, you really should be shooting in RAW and doing a bit of editing. Most don't require much if you have the settings right. The JPEGS that come out of the Mavic are not very good, and certainly don't give you the best image quality.

Of course if you don't want to shoot RAW and are fine with the JPEGS then that's all well and good. I'm not going to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do with their camera, much less what they are allowed to like or not like. You do you :)

My point exactly. Nothing more, nothing less.

Trust you? Nah, don't think so... You have to earn trust. So far, you've earned the most talkative and saying nothing award. Yes, my words won't fit when your foot is already taking up so much real-estate in your mouth.

You brought up Ansel Adams. Not me.

Apparent you were right? Well a clock is also correct twice a day. Congrats. Get your cookie on the way out the door. That toilet bug you swatted this morning, that where you are on the list of important things in my life. Are we now clear? I can go slower if need be.

Trust you? Nah, don't think so... You have to earn trust. So far, you've earned the most talkative and saying nothing award. Yes, my words won't fit when your foot is already taking up so much real-estate in your mouth.

You brought up Ansel Adams. Not me.

Apparent you were right? Well a clock is also correct twice a day. Congrats. Get your cookie on the way out the door. That toilet bug you swatted this morning, that where you are on the list of important things in my life. Are we now clear? I can go slower if need be.

No, for God's sake, PLEASE don't slow down, by no means. I believe you were naturally born slow enough, really.

And the proper expression is "Even a BROKEN clock is right twice a day." Think about it. Doesn't that make more sense, even to you? I mean, if you're gonna use an expression, at least please try to get it right. Doesn't take much extra effort to be correct. Common sense tells you that any working clock is right twice a day, otherwise no one would use it now, would they? I would also try using more current, relevant expressions, too. Broken, old fashioned analog hand clocks are the only clocks that can be "right" twice a day; doesn't apply to digital clocks.

"Are we clear?" you ask? Well, not really. You kinda fell apart there at the end of your post talking about "toilet bugs" - which I totally don't get - or me being on your "...list of important things in (your) life," something I never claimed to be or would ever lower myself to aspire to, either. So, no, "we" are NOT clear. But I sure am. Just like I am certain that my feet are firmly on the ground and not in my mouth as you suggest.

Again, take your head out of where it's stuck. Get a fresh breath of air and a new perspective. Things look real nice out here. BTW, thanks for the cookie!

Wow, you guys are idiots. Well, mostly one of you but I'm definitely staying out of it.

My Mavic is definitely exhibiting the warm spots, making it especially tricky to stitch multi image panoramas which I do a lot of- I'm interested to try this evening the LR filter that was posted earlier in this thread. Something like that should be a fairly effective fix providing the person who built it is experiencing similar sensor issues to me. My problem (which I'm believing to be typical) is only terribly apparent in specific conditions, generally lower light/overcast days.

I'm not a fan of shooting in JPEG as I generally use a sort of personal "formula" for processing my images and DNG affords a much higher degree of flexibility, especially if you need to fix shooting screwups and exposure problems as I often do.

Reactions: alexkamson
Agreed on your first point, why forums become such a place to ***** and slate each other is beyond me... mine is the same, took some footage yesterday heavily overcast, very noticeable on the green/blue water. When looking at people's vids online I do think this is a characteristic of the mavic lens and all of them have it which is what the official DJI statement on the matter infers.

I've ordered some taco Rc filters to see if they help and also plan to fly in sunnier conditions, if it's all good in the sun will keep my mavic otherwise it's 3 strikes and out (I'm on my 3rd for faults) and I'll wait for mavic 2 which I guess will have a better camera set up and will iron out some of the other issues. Might get a P4P in the meantime though that would be a shame as I love the size and portability of the MP.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

So has anyone who sent their Mavic back received a better one in return? It does seem like this issue is most apparent in low light/overcast conditions - mine was especially noticeable flying over Green/Blue water too, I think the ND filters might help a bit but I need to do more testing.

I still have the option to return until around March 15 so trying to decide what to do - already my 3rd Mavic so its starting to get a bit silly!

Reactions: AyeYo
I filed for a return and received the shipping label, but I'm debating whether I should or not because I don't want to receive one back that has MORE issues.

Someone on Phantompilots made a Lightroom lense correction file for the P4P that removes some of the vignetting - I'm wondering if it would be beneficial for the Mavic if also tweaked for tint/hue.

(shot by member Frits today) shows the warm spot, esp. at the start. Could a filter be setup in post to deal with it?

It's basically a perfect circle in the middle, but in my case what I see rather than a warm/bright spot in the middle is dark/green tinted vignetting. I don't see why someone skilled enough couldn't make a lense correction to fix it in post or at least reduce the amount of manual work that needs to be done. I took a 3 shot wide panorama this weekend and after putting it together you can perfectly see the alternating strips of dark green/light red/dark green/light red/dark green/light red/dark green of each individual shot across the sky in the photo.

[quote uid=7662 name="Savededa" post=87907]The warm spot, or hot spot that we all get when shooting in RAW is simply unacceptable. I'm hard pressed to get a phantom 4 pro. Over $1k usd to have a device with an issue? Cell phones can shoot now with super small sensors and not have this "abberition" happen. I want to use this for stills and videography but very difficult when the center sphere of the picture has a red or yellow tinge to it.<br /><br />Filled out an RMA form today. Anyone else?<br /><br />Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using the MavicPilots app[/QUOTE]<br />The Mavic does NOT shoot in RAW.<br />Only the Inspire cameras such as the X5R and X5s can shoot raw provided the bird has the raw solid state drive option.<br />You are confusing RAW with D Log and Cine mode.

Yes it takes photos in raw . You are misinformed, it dosnt take video in raw which the inspire dose but it takes stills in raw

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

(shot by member Frits today) shows the warm spot, esp. at the start. Could a filter be setup in post to deal with it?

Cloudy and over green/blue water definitely shows mine up in these conditions too, question is do they all have it to the same degree or not? If not I might chance a return...

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Yeah I shoot in raw and do work on videos in post. The videos aren't bad but the stills in raw are real bad. It's just so weird because it's really close to a cell phone camera. The last cell phone camera that had an issue was the Galaxy s5 I believe with the issue like this. It's 2017 and it still exists. I think it's an oversight, I would almost prefer if they disabled raw all together then. Love the portability of the mavic but I didn't buy a racer I bought photography equipment where the photography for me in fact is very sub par. Especially for a nice chunk of change.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using the MavicPilots app

Hi!
What do you mean exactly by "the stills in RAW are real bad" please?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki