DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who's returning their mavic because of the warm spot?

very nice pictures, I can't see anything in the first 2, not saying it's not there, there is a lot of red/pink in the pictures, POSSIBLY the last one about 3 on the right side but not sure. I can promise you if my drone took those pictures it would be very obvious...

*edit, I count 6 on the last pic, that are somewhat apparent

Wow you must have some really good eyes, or my 48 year old eyes are failing me (which is totally possible):). I just looked at each individual photo for that pano zoomed in in Photoshop and I just don't see anything. Like I said in a reply a few posts up I have definitely seen some really extreme examples of this issue in other posts but honestly if it is present in the pics and video my Mavic is producing it's barely to not noticeable (at least to me). That's not to say the issue doesn't exist as it's been proven that it does. I'm just not certain it's with every single Mavic out there.

Shoot some snow in raw, or trees with no leaves. Would love to see the result. Seems to be very apparent in raw not so much in jpg because on board processing corrects it

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using the MavicPilots app
Just went out and shot Raw + jpeg. Different scenes.....solid gray, dull and then a more complicated scene. I didn't see it before, but I could make out a slightly reddish tint to the top center of the image. In raw, not in the jpeg. Just how you said. Nothing in the busier scene. My previous photos where I said nothing was visible, was probably because the pics where of an orange shaded brick building. I can live with mine since I don't take many photos. But I can see how that would be a deal breaker for you.

Reactions: Savededa
That's not to say the issue doesn't exist as it's been proven that it does. I'm just not certain it's with every single Mavic out there.

I find it hard to believe the issue exists in every single Mavic out there.
I am going to have to go back to my Doctor and get fitted with new contacts, I just do not see that in my still pictures when I shoot in raw.

I have definitely seen some really extreme examples of this issue in other posts but honestly if it is present in the pics and video my Mavic is producing it's barely to not noticeable (at least to me).

Plus one on your statement above.

I find it hard to believe the issue exists in every single Mavic out there.
I am going to have to go back to my Doctor and get fitted with new contacts, I just do not see that in my still pictures when I shoot in raw.

Plus one on your statement above.
Well it's starting to seem that way! When I first saw a thread on it I'm like huh? That guys crazy... Then I started taking more and more pictures in raw, and then browse the forums, then edit pictures and then I'm like holy ****! There it is!

Again, some cases will be more extreme with others no doubt, and you will only REALLY see it in some conditions but it's there. Whether it be yellow or redish. The statement made by dji was to peg it as a hardware limitation of the camera. What I really think happened was that they realized it too late in production and coded the processing software for jpegs to take care of it. That's why in jpegs you see it very little or not even at all! I love the mavic, but when my cell phone takes better raw images and has no focus issues whatsoever I start to question it.

People compare the camera on the mavic to a high end smart phone camera, when in all honesty, owning a high end smart phone on a yearly basis, haven't come across one with such issues.

I'm not expecting 10x optical zoom here, my expectations are legitimate. The camera in fact performs worse than my Galaxy S7 Edge I use to fly it, minus the wider field of view of course.

Reactions: notoriouskeef
The warm spot, or hot spot that we all get when shooting in RAW is simply unacceptable. I'm hard pressed to get a phantom 4 pro. Over $1k usd to have a device with an issue? Cell phones can shoot now with super small sensors and not have this "abberition" happen. I want to use this for stills and videography but very difficult when the center sphere of the picture has a red or yellow tinge to it.

Filled out an RMA form today. Anyone else?

The Mavic does NOT shoot in RAW.
Only the Inspire cameras such as the X5R and X5s can shoot raw provided the bird has the raw solid state drive option.
You are confusing RAW with D Log and Cine mode.

Only the Inspire cameras such as the X5R and X5s can shoot raw provided the bird has the raw solid state drive option.

They are referring to DNG stills. As opposed to the compressed JPEGs.

No, I'm shooting in DNG which is the raw sensor data. Not compressed jpgs. The issue doesn't happen on compressed files because of on board processing. BTW d log and cinelike do not affect a DNG file, only jpg.

takamine guitar, nothing crazy awesome, still sounds nice. I don't play enough to drop big money on one

That looks like solid tonewoods (not laminated), which is always better, but yes, more $$$.

That spot you can call "color shift", I call "colored vignetting".

Please don't go around with speeches that have nothing to do with the topic, talking about the faults of other technological things and skulduggery, let's stay on the subject without digressing unnecessarily.

The problem is still present (on my camera it is), is strong and this is a defect, obviously unacceptable!
Probably a boy playing with Mavic Pro don't care of it at all.
It is not necessarily caused by the very small camera, maybe the too small optic respect to the sensor.
I think could be caused by the glass of the optic (antireflective coating and or the optical scheme).

Similar defects, well known by some photographers, are in the recent story until the present with professional cameras of major brands, for example with Leica, using wide-angle lenses designed for the film that behave badly in front of a sensor and create a strong color-shift between the center and edges of the frame.
Here there is a stopgap solution: develop the DNG from a softwares that after first manual adjustments, automatically corrects the color shift of each shot.
I have never used it, never had the need with my cameras, do not remember the name, but now I'll have to find it.
However this defect in the Mavic camera should NOT be present!

I have had already reported it as comment in a YouTube video made in 2016 by one of the few testers who received it, weeks before DJI put on sale the Mavic Pro.
Pay attention to the name, they called: PRO!
Mavic PRO.
It's nice, even superlative as copter, 10 years ago would be fantascientific, but his camera with this problem is way far from a Pro.
A few days later, the tester/reviewer replied me: a DJI representative says that the problem is known and will be solved with a new firmware before being put on the market.

Unfortunately this is for the JPG processed output only, good enough chromatically, but very bad with regard to the resolution. It has kneaded details, the watercolor effect which greatly degrades the camera's potential and is therefore useful only to those who like to play with it, don't use the camera seriously.
It does not be applied to DNG output, here obviously DJI have not solved the problem.
-------------
Little info:
DNG format is a pseudo RAW, convenient for those who use Lightroom.
But it is not the best format RAW, the DNG format is suboptimal because degrades the image quality by limiting color space and dynamic range.
However I think here should not worsen the output, given the inherent limitations of the camera itself, without AdobeRGB, limited only to produce the sRGB color profile, good for the web.
I guess has just 8 bits, I doubt 10 bits, and the best professional cameras have 12 or 14 bits.

Little info:
DNG format is a pseudo RAW, convenient for those who use Lightroom.
But it is not the best format RAW, the DNG format is suboptimal because degrades the image quality by limiting color space and dynamic range.
However I think here should not worsen the output, given the inherent limitations of the camera itself, without AdobeRGB, limited only to produce the sRGB color profile, good for the web.
I guess has just 8 bits, I doubt 10 bits, and the best professional cameras have 12 or 14 bits.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. There is nothing "pseudo" about DNG. I does not limit your color space, as you can freely choose the color space when importing the image in any RAW converter. sRBG is set as as default, but that's just a tag in the metadata which you can override just as with any other RAW format.

Also, the Mavic's DNGs have 16 bit per sample. That is certainly more than the actual sensor dynamic resolution, because a 1/2.3" sensor's noise floor cannot possibly be low enough. So the 16 bit is probably just word-aligned for faster processing or something. But it also indicates that it's more than 8 bits, because otherwise it wouldn't make any sense to write 16. I'm guessing 10.

Side note: even 8 bits wouldn't limit the dynamic range, but only the resolution of color shades within that range. With too little resolution, you can get artifacts like posterization in sky gradients, and I haven't seen that with Mavic DNGs yet.

Maik

Reactions: seqiro
I only shoot in RAW and my photos do not have this issue.
You would see it in some types of picture such as snow scenes.
It's easily fixed if you are using RAW you will have reasonable software such as Lightroom, two clicks and a saved circular filter removes it.

This is not a reason to return the Mavic and probably some firmware fix will be possible.
It isn't really a fault but a feature of the sensor which is corrected in the JPG and Video.

I've attached a Lightroom filter which can be installed in correct folder (google for where yours is)

Attachments

• Mavic PRO Hot Zone Fix.zip
    806 bytes · Views: 18
Reactions: MavicPro83
You would see it in some types of picture such as snow scenes.
It's easily fixed if you are using RAW you will have reasonable software such as Lightroom, two clicks and a saved circular filter removes it.

This is not a reason to return the Mavic and probably some firmware fix will be possible.
It isn't really a fault but a feature of the sensor which is corrected in the JPG and Video.

I've attached a Lightroom filter which can be installed in correct folder (google for where yours is)

I live in Alabama so I don't expect I'll get too many snow scenes, haha. I do use Lightroom and agree that it should be an easy fix. Thanks for the filter! If I see the effect on my photos I'll give it a shot.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. There is nothing "pseudo" about DNG. I does not limit your color space, as you can freely choose the color space when importing the image in any RAW converter. sRBG is set as as default, but that's just a tag in the metadata which you can override just as with any other RAW format.

Also, the Mavic's DNGs have 16 bit per sample. That is certainly more than the actual sensor dynamic resolution, because a 1/2.3" sensor's noise floor cannot possibly be low enough. So the 16 bit is probably just word-aligned for faster processing or something. But it also indicates that it's more than 8 bits, because otherwise it wouldn't make any sense to write 16. I'm guessing 10.

Side note: even 8 bits wouldn't limit the dynamic range, but only the resolution of color shades within that range. With too little resolution, you can get artifacts like posterization in sky gradients, and I haven't seen that with Mavic DNGs yet.

Maik
Posterization caused by too low resolution?
Please man.
That is only a X/bits and color space dependent, not depend from the space resolution.
I cannot write more now.

The warm spot is pretty easy to spot with snow. Mine is clearly visible.

v0fH17Z.jpg

At least someone feels my pain, it looks worse than mine but if it's there it's there. It really is unfortunate. I plan on sacrificing the portability or a rock solid device like the p4p. I know you can't put them in the same category, but I'd rather pay extra and be satisfied in the long time where the only shortcoming of a device is portability. While not as convenient you can still put a phantom in a backpack as a carryon if you're traveling. I honestly hate the fact that I even have to do this but I can't sit and wait for dji to "maybe" fix this with firmware, who knows if that will happen as they have stated already that it's a hardware limitation. A recall on the mavic camera would be horrible press for dji but so is this issue if enough people shooting in RAW complain about it.

If photography is a MUST then get the P4P. The P4P IMO wins every category except portability. Since my travels are mostly via plane I returned my P4P and went with the Mavic. I can see the differences, but sadly I cannot have my cake and eat it too.

Reactions: deltalimatango
Nah, not me. I'm keeping my Mavic until Charleton Heston himself comes back from the grave and pries it from my cold, dead fingers. I don't eat raw food and I don't shoot in RAW, either, so I'm good.

You don't shoot in RAW? I guess you really don't too much about photography, but if you're happy with the in-camera pre-processed images, then good on you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat