DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why am I reading about lots of people having lots of problems with Mavic drones?

If you only observed people in doctor's waiting rooms, you'd be asking: Why are they all sick?
The forum is a drone doctor's waiting room.
I could come here and write a post about how I flew three batteries, took some nice pix and went home with my drone, just like every other time.
But it wouldn't be a very interesting post.
Exactly!

Reactions: AussieDrone
NO.
Like most high-tech devices, the manual does a pretty poor job of explaining everything you need to know in layman's terms. Not to mention the fact that most of it has to be translated/interpreted into your language, which is never ideal. Not to mention the fact that there are regular software and firmware updates that keep multiple aspects of your drone ownership in constant flux.

YouTube is your friend. In addition to the fact that videos are usually easier to swallow and understand than reading text in a size 4 font, there are enough videos on almost every aspect of all mavic versions to keep you busy for months. Some YouTubers are better than others, of course, but after watching a bunch, you'll begin to find a few video producers who do a pretty decent job most of the time, and learn to hone in on those first.

Read the manual, but if you really want to understand your mavic and keep it in one piece, watch YouTube videos and read all the crash stories and explanations in this forum. As others have said, keep in mind that most of what you read here is negative by default. Almost no one takes the time to post, "My Mavic is working perfectly".

There have been several polls in the past on this site to show that over 95% of the members are totally satisfied with their mavic, would buy one again, and have never had a crash that wasn't pilot error.

I've logged over 350+ flights over the past 2 years on 2 different mavics, and zero surprises from either one. The weakest link in my drone setup is the dummy holding the sticks.

Hope this helps. Happy flying!

P.S.
Both my mavics have always worked perfectly. Just don't forget to add oil to the RC regularly.
Granted, I'm a Newbie with drones but the 'add oil to the RC regularly' comment has me confused. What am I missing here? Thanks.

I have been a nature photographer for nearly twenty years and I still enjoy using my Nikon DSLRs. However, for me, the ability to get high quality photos from the air has added a new dimension to my photography and learning how to use drones has been worthwhile.

Reactions: fozzzy
OK, so the experience I was having with my Parrot Bebop 2 is standard for the industry! Hmmmmmmm. I suppose now that I understand that, at least I will know what to expect. Kinda frustrating though. I mean, I don't get new updates for my Toyo 45AX view camera, and it's 20 years old, and no issues. The time I spend with it is all about creating the image, not trying to understand that it no longer works like it did last week. They made it right the first time! I have a busy life, I'm not sure I want to be scouring forums and you-tube every time a new update comes out!
I really don't get the concept! What a drag it is getting old! (That's from a 45 year old Rolling Stones Song, LOL!)

I understand, but let's also be clear. Your Toyo view camera (I used to have one of those - memories) was relatively simple technology. They certainly got it right first time but compared to what goes into the development and technology of these drones it was an elementally simple thing. I think you have to accept that with such technology comes a steep learning curve but, one you master back, you'll never look back. As others have said here, read the manual and then remember, YouTube is your friend!

Thank you everybody who responded to this post it has been very helpful. Knowing the limitations going in will help with the frustrations.

I think the best answers to the main question have been given.... that most people who post here only have questions/issues and there is no reason for people to go out of their way to say everything is perfect. The other answer to people having issues is lack of instructions from DJI. When we got our Mavics how many people found the instruction book with the product? Answer, no one. DJI did not spend the extra $.50 to print up the book and include it with the drone. Instead, they just put it online and people need to know to go look for it. Light bulbs come with better instructions on how to use them. DJI then markets their drone and _so_ very easy to use. So people get it... and simply start flying. These are the people who have problems.

There is a good reason to put a manual online, so it can be corrected and updated as needed. However, DJI needs to do a better job in including more information with their drones and/or pointing people online to the manual. DJI has never been good in the "explaining' department. They have never even provided the warranty information with their product which is legally required in the US. Even their warranty information online has been terrible. They have improved it over the _years_ but it is still pretty bad. Lack of customer support has always been DJI's trademark. They compensate somewhat for that by making a _very good_ product.

Reactions: sar104
I think the best answers to the main question have been given.... that most people who post here only have questions/issues and there is no reason for people to go out of their way to say everything is perfect. The other answer to people having issues is lack of instructions from DJI. When we got our Mavics how many people found the instruction book with the product? Answer, no one. DJI did not spend the extra $.50 to print up the book and include it with the drone. Instead, they just put it online and people need to know to go look for it. Light bulbs come with better instructions on how to use them. DJI then markets their drone and _so_ very easy to use. So people get it... and simply start flying. These are the people who have problems.

There is a good reason to put a manual online, so it can be corrected and updated as needed. However, DJI needs to do a better job in including more information with their drones and/or pointing people online to the manual. DJI has never been good in the "explaining' department. They have never even provided the warranty information with their product which is legally required in the US. Even their warranty information online has been terrible. They have improved it over the _years_ but it is still pretty bad. Lack of customer support has always been DJI's trademark. They compensate somewhat for that by making a _very good_ product.

I do get the impression, however, that their customer service has been steadily improving over the past couple of years.

Reactions: rickw
I do get the impression, however, that their customer service has been steadily improving over the past couple of years.
I found the same to be true with the Parrot Bebop 2 drone I had! Now that I understand this is an industry wide phenomena it may be a little easier to accept! It was terribly frustrating however.
I suppose waiting for them to respond to consumer demand will be slow.

I found the same to be true with the Parrot Bebop 2 drone I had! Now that I understand this is an industry wide phenomena it may be a little easier to accept! It was terribly frustrating however.
I suppose waiting for them to respond to consumer demand will be slow.
I wish some non-Chinese company like Sony, Samsung, etc... would get involved in making drones!

I wish some non-Chinese company like Sony, Samsung, etc... would get involved in making drones!

Other companies, including in the US, have tried to compete and largely failed. They don't seem to be able to achieve comparable technology at a competitive price point.

NO.
Like most high-tech devices, the manual does a pretty poor job of explaining everything you need to know in layman's terms. Not to mention the fact that most of it has to be translated/interpreted into your language, which is never ideal. Not to mention the fact that there are regular software and firmware updates that keep multiple aspects of your drone ownership in constant flux.

YouTube is your friend. In addition to the fact that videos are usually easier to swallow and understand than reading text in a size 4 font, there are enough videos on almost every aspect of all mavic versions to keep you busy for months. Some YouTubers are better than others, of course, but after watching a bunch, you'll begin to find a few video producers who do a pretty decent job most of the time, and learn to hone in on those first.

Read the manual, but if you really want to understand your mavic and keep it in one piece, watch YouTube videos and read all the crash stories and explanations in this forum. As others have said, keep in mind that most of what you read here is negative by default. Almost no one takes the time to post, "My Mavic is working perfectly".

There have been several polls in the past on this site to show that over 95% of the members are totally satisfied with their mavic, would buy one again, and have never had a crash that wasn't pilot error.

I've logged over 350+ flights over the past 2 years on 2 different mavics, and zero surprises from either one. The weakest link in my drone setup is the dummy holding the sticks.

Hope this helps. Happy flying!

P.S.
Both my mavics have always worked perfectly. Just don't forget to add oil to the RC regularly.
Oil the RC??? what does that mean??? please.

Right now, I think that is slowly changing. Can't think of the name but the company is coming out with their second version with a collision sensor that turns. It is the drone with a cage. That is a great idea! A big problem with sensors is the computing resources they take.

However, it is like over-taking Microsoft when Windows was hot. Seems impossible. However, things are _always_ changing.

Edit: Hover 2

Last edited:
Reactions: str455n
Checklists, checklists, checklists. Use one for every phase of your work: prep, mission planning, flying, processing.

I had a parrot Bebop 2 and lost connection with it and watched it drift off into the lake. Fortunately I had replacement insurance on it, I was able to retrieve it, and got a refurbished one.
Flying it seemed like a crapshoot. There were lots of issues with it and I was actually happy when somebody stole it out of my car.
So it seems like the mavic 2 zoom corrects all the issues I didn't like about the parrot Bebop 2. However reading this forum people are having all sorts of problems with them.
I am very reluctant to spend $1,300 and continue to endure frustration. Sometimes I think it's a Chinese Communist plot to drive Western capitalists crazy!
I would really like to own a drone, but is anybody actually working to making these things simple and reliable, or are they just more interested in adding moree bells and whistles?
IF I WERE YOU ID GET THE MAVIC PRO 1 AS SOME REAL GOOD BARGAINS OUT THERE AND A LOT LESS MONEY AND THE ALL ISSUES SOLVED. I USE AN NVIDIA SHIELD AS IT HAS HDMI SLOT SO I CAN USE MY VUFINE PLUS WITH IT , IV HAD MINE A WHILE NOW AND WONT CHANGE IT FOR A FEW YEAR UNTILL ALL I SSUE RESOLVED IN THAT TIME I MAY GET THE HASSELBLAD VERSION AS I DONT SEE WHY THE ZOOM WOULD BE ANY DIFFERENT AS I CAN ZOOM WITH MY PRO 1 AND GET CLOSER IN SOFTWARE, I WANT MORE SENSORS SO WHEN IT COMES DOWN 2ND HAND ILL GET ONE.,ALSO THERE ARE A FEW OTHER BRINGING OUT A FEW NICE ONE ONE HAS 360 SENSOR PROTECTION SOUND GOOD.

Right now, I think that is slowly changing. Can't think of the name but the company is coming out with their second version with a collision sensor that turns. It is the drone with a cage. That is a great idea! A big problem with sensors is the computing resources they take.

However, it is like over-taking Microsoft when Windows was hot. Seems impossible. However, things are _always_ changing.

Edit: Hover 2
YES I JUST MENTIONED THIS AND LOOKS AWESOME 360 COLLISION PROTECTION I MAY GET ONE INSTEAD OF THE MAVIC HASSELBLAD WHEN THEY COME DOWN IN PRICE 2ND HAND

I had a parrot Bebop 2 and lost connection with it and watched it drift off into the lake. Fortunately I had replacement insurance on it, I was able to retrieve it, and got a refurbished one.
Flying it seemed like a crapshoot. There were lots of issues with it and I was actually happy when somebody stole it out of my car.
So it seems like the mavic 2 zoom corrects all the issues I didn't like about the parrot Bebop 2. However reading this forum people are having all sorts of problems with them.
I am very reluctant to spend $1,300 and continue to endure frustration. Sometimes I think it's a Chinese Communist plot to drive Western capitalists crazy!
I would really like to own a drone, but is anybody actually working to making these things simple and reliable, or are they just more interested in adding moree bells and whistles?
HOVER 2
THATS THE ONE

Never a problem and I have a MA & MP zoom and just sold my MP - great and reliable all around and most of my drones were refurb units.

It's tough to blame the pilots for some of what is going on with the Mav 2. I'm waiting for them to resolve the overheat problem causing it to brick in mid air and the camera heat dissipation issue allowing full use of the sensor for video, which may never happen. My guess is that was the reason for the deep discounts we just saw. To be sure, much of what we see here is pilot error, and unfamiliarity with proper procedure which is not covered by DJI instruction.

It’s usually user error. My only crash was inside, Mavic pro., all the correct settings but I ignored magnetic intereference on take off. It just drifted in to a wall impossible to control. My fault. Also flying at night can be sketchy. My first one had motor warnings but I replaced that in a weeks.
Just be real careful all your settings are correct

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.